The "It's only a kit car" car show goer... - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

60Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

The "It's only a kit car" car show goer...

Well, I crossed off another milestone with my car tonight, and I knew it would happen sooner or later. Was at the local show, and an older gentleman and his wife walked up to look at the car.

The car in question:

[IMG] photo IMG_8716.jpg[/IMG]

The guy looks inside the engine bay, shakes his head, turns to his wife and says "It's only a kit car - these things are dime a dozen."

Sigh.

Keep in mind I'm sitting in my chair less than 4 feet away at the time. Inner me wanted to spring up and go into full on hammer and tongs debate mode with him, however, outer me won out and I simply sat there as no good can come from engaging in discussion with someone with that kind of attitude.

So let's hear some stories eh? What's the worst you've run into with your Factory Five? Bring em' out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 04:52 AM

Fire

I'd ask him "If they're so cheap and easy - why don't YOU have one?"
DrMiller thanked this.
post #3 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 05:50 AM
Senior Charter Member

Same...

I usually ask, where is your entry? I then try to get them into a conversation of what it took to get my car to the state it is in. Educating some of them is far better than trying to embarrass them, and makes you feel better too. I still have questions of which year Mustang chassis I used.

Regards, Rick.
DrMiller thanked this.

Driving a car like this is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

"Too Much Is Just Right" $helby
post #4 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 11:25 AM
FFCars Captain

I go to quite a few cruise-ins, shows, etc. and hear that kind of thing along with the "Is it real?" variation all the time. On the one hand, the statement is true. It is a kit car (replica, whatever...) and there are lots of them. But clearly the statement was made without any respect and I too have wanted to respond in some way when I hear similar comments. Usually I don't unless the statement made is just clearly wrong, and I've heard some whoppers. But I'm not a fan of smart aleck comebacks, arguments, etc. If someone wants to have an intelligent conversation, happy to do so. If they just want to criticize, then they can move on and do the same at the next car in line. You're not going to change their mind, and no point is stooping to their level. Don't be one of those guys.

FWIW, last weekend I finished three days at the Detroit Autorama with my just completed 20th Anniversary Roadster build. I've noticed a difference in these types of conversations in the 8+ years I've been doing this. Factory Five is much more recognizable by enthusiasts now than it was before, and generally has a very positive reaction. In all the hours I was at my car, there were literally only a couple of the usual "Is it real?" questions. Most immediately recognized it for what it was, ask how long to build it, what was the build like, am I going to drive it, and of course the inevitable how much did it cost. There will always be naysayers no matter what you bring, but I've see the trend changing some for our cars.
carlewms and DrMiller thanked this.

Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. Deliv: 08/05/2015. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017. Red/white club for the third time.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 12:33 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

I agree. When asked what it is I always say it's a Factory Five Racing replica of a 65 Shelby Cobra. I am getting a lot of people who recognize the FFR name and their response has always been positive.
DrMiller thanked this.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #6 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Thumbs up

I didn't build a Show Car and don't want one. I hate sitting in a parking lot (aka Car show). In 15 years and two different cars I've done 3. You're always going to run into the "It's a Kit" people. I also find this comment somewhat Insulting. In the past couple of weeks I've been Shocked by a couple of people who were 50+ years old and ask "What Is It"? One guy was driving a Z4. When I told him a Shelby Cobra his next question was "Is It Real"? Hell yea, it's REAL. (Real as 36 silicone DD's that you'd never ask that question!) I don't have any problems identifying Real of Fakes... yes Boobs. It's always been according to my mood how I answer the "Is It Real" question.

In our defense, we can drive our cars. We can repair them, they are Fast, Cheap to Maintain and a Darn site better than an Original Shelby.

You have a fine looking Car/FFR in my opinion. So you should get a ton of "Is it Real" questions.
FORDP51 and DrMiller thanked this.

Last edited by MCathcart; 03-05-2017 at 12:43 PM.
post #7 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 12:44 PM
Husband/Father/Son

Guys like the OP has run across are a dime a dozen, I do not bother wasting my time with such people, just let them have their opinion and move on, no reason to get your panties in a twist over something as inconsequential as a comment.

As for the "is it real question", I have two responses depending on my mood and that of the people asking the question.

My general response has always been:
It's a replica of a 427SC/289FIA Cobra produced by "xxxxx".

My tongue in cheek, jovial response has always been:
If you can touch it and feel it with your hands, it must be real
Then I use my general response above as a follow up.

Bill S.
DrMiller thanked this.

Live simply, care deeply, and have a wonderful life!
Instead of being part of the problem, why not be a part of a successful and positive solution.

post #8 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 12:56 PM
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner

Is it real or a kit? I take that as a complement if they can't tell. One guy actually argued with me it was real because of the Shelby VIN plate and AC plate in the engine bay.

What kind of car us under that body? I explain its a replica Cobra tube steel frame with 40+ aluminum panels bonded and riveted to make up the chassis. Then invite them to look under the rear end. They say "wow, that's nice".

Is that a 427 motor? I reply no it's a Ford racing 302. Enough engine to scare anyone and I built it when gas was $4 a gallon.

The majority of people who ask are confirming its an FFR which is the most respected of the kits.

I haven't had anyone be disrespectful of it in 10 years.

Greg
DrMiller thanked this.

FFR4373RD MK3, nondonor, DIY options/mods/paint, Lexus indigo/Viper silver, Hydroboost PS&PB/discs/ABS, AC/heat, 3-link/Konis, FMS302E, Holley 600DP/Airgap, 4X4 exhaust, Halibrand deep lip chrome CobraIII, TeamIII spinners, rollbars: chrome full & single

Last edited by Greg_M; 03-05-2017 at 01:03 PM.
post #9 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 01:10 PM
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

My usual answer to the "Is it real" question, is "Hell no do I look like a millionaire". Then I go on to say my home built replica is a heck of a lot more fun because I'm not afraid to drive it pretty much any where I want to.
I must say the vast majority of people just comment what a nice car it is. To that I just smile and thank them.
You're always going to run into the occasional butt head who for the most part doesn't know his a$$ from his elbow. I stopped paying any attention to people like that a long time ago.
DrMiller thanked this.

MK3#5902 picked up 1/13/07, 88 donor 306 w/b303 EFI purchased 3/31/07,first start and gocart ride 9/20/07 color- Ford Performance White w/ True Blue Metalic stripes. Inspected and registered 7/31/08
post #10 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 01:46 PM
GWL
FFCars Master Craftsman

Yep, you're right, it's a kit car and yes there are lots of them out there but it was a blast to build it myself and even more fun driving it.

George

PS-I'm not driving yet but soon will be.
DrMiller thanked this.

Ordered Complete Roadster Kit - 12-24-09

Picked up Mk. 4 Roadster - 3-5-10

'75 Porsche Targa Carrera - Sold
'52 MGTD - Sold
'62 MGA - Sold

How to install the IRS Center Section

My Footbox Modifications:

post #11 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 02:17 PM
Not a waxer

I don't do shows but if I did I wouldn't worry about the negative comments. What I've found outside of the show field and driving it anywhere & everywhere is that the questions have changed over the past 10+ years. Used to be "is it real?" was most common (to which my usual response is "if it was you probably wouldn't see me squeezing it in between these mini vans and grocery carts"). In the last few years the most often asked question has become "is that a Factory Five?" Dave & company have been doing a pretty good job of getting lots of exposure

Jeff
DrMiller thanked this.

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #12 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 02:44 PM
Baghdad Bob

Send a message via Yahoo to mcwho
We have a local amateur car show here in my little town of Orange City FLorida once a month. Against my better judgement, my buddy convinced me to drive over and show my "work in progress". Although I was expecting to be laughed at, quite the contrary.

I did state as others have suggested, "its a replica of a 1965 Shelby Cobra". I explained about the engine and the drive line and emphasized that there were improvements over the 1965 chassis, brakes, and suspension.

To my surprise, quite a few people did ask, "is that a Factory Five", and several wanted to know how difficult it was to build.

The younger folks, like 20 year olds had no idea what it was but really liked it.

No one asked "is it real", and it seems the Replica market is now getting more respect.

I was surprised at the response.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg locxal car event.jpg (32.0 KB, 171 views)
DrMiller thanked this.

Ordered Feb 26 2009
Engine: 331 from Engine Factory, Carburated QF 650
Halibrand 15" Wheels, BFG Radial TA Tires
Build School July 2010
Recieved Kit July 2010, #7287

Adds
Power Steering Rack & Offset Alum Bushings - Breeze, Power Steering Heidt Valve
Power Brakes - Whitby
Hydralic Clutch & Hydralic Brake Master Cyl. Modern Driveline
Modified quiet sidepipes - Breeze
sidepipe heat shields cobrastuff
Trunk Battery Box - FFmetalb
Firewall Forward - FFmetal
Turn Signal switch - Russ Thompson
Enlarged Passenger Footbox mod Russ Thompson
Russ Thompson accelerator pedal
Tremec TKO600 .64 5TH
Heater and Wipers

As of Mar 2017

Fitting the sidepipes and last will be hood and windscreen fit, then paint.

First start April 2016

First Go-Cart June 2016

Body is being prepped for paint
post #13 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 02:55 PM
Unconventional Builder

Garage
I too dont bother with car shows, will go to a cruise in occasionally. My answer is similar to Dave's and I share his attitude. When they ask me if its real I reply with do you know how much a real one costs?? .. pause .. Would drive a million dollar car around theses streets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
My usual answer to the "Is it real" question, is "Hell no do I look like a millionaire". Then I go on to say my home built replica is a heck of a lot more fun because I'm not afraid to drive it pretty much any where I want to.
I must say the vast majority of people just comment what a nice car it is. To that I just smile and thank them.
You're always going to run into the occasional butt head who for the most part doesn't know his a$$ from his elbow. I stopped paying any attention to people like that a long time ago.
DrMiller thanked this.

Donor $2,500 -Kit $18,000 -Extra "needs stuff" $100's -$1,000's
300+hp tagged race car PRICELESS !! Best ET 12.27 @ 113.49 mph N/A
Mk III #5294 -302 AFR 185 Heads, Levy Front and Rear control arms, 3-link, 3.55, 11" GT front and 11" Cobra rear brakes, SAI, UTC exhaust No More EFI: Now Quick Fuel 650

“It is not the giver of life that destroys human life. It is the receivers of life who do not live in the rational, honest way called for by the creator's behavioral law. Instead they live as they please and finally are forced to depart this life.” Richard W. Wetherill

YouTube Videos: AutoX

Go Kart

My Pics:

post #14 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 02:57 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic

That guy was a douche bag. Real car guys respect these things. My good friend (who is a car guy) and I first saw one at Raul's house in Alpharetta. We were both instantly hooked. Any car guy who knows a little can instantly see the quality and engineering excellence in an FFR.
DrMiller thanked this.

MKIII, 302 FMS Crate, GT40 Heads, Quick Fuel carb, TK0500 Mid-shift, 3-Link, 300 RWHP & Trq. Finally done after two years. I think I will call her Black Betty

"It is only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you come to realize that there can be value in solving problems without using violence.”
post #15 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 03:17 PM
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeE View Post
I too dont bother with car shows, will go to a cruise in occasionally.
Same here unless it's for a good charity. Like the cars and coffee's the best. Don't get into the judging thing at all.

I take the TR6 to a judged British show once a year but that's for real cars

Greg
DrMiller thanked this.

FFR4373RD MK3, nondonor, DIY options/mods/paint, Lexus indigo/Viper silver, Hydroboost PS&PB/discs/ABS, AC/heat, 3-link/Konis, FMS302E, Holley 600DP/Airgap, 4X4 exhaust, Halibrand deep lip chrome CobraIII, TeamIII spinners, rollbars: chrome full & single

post #16 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 03:52 PM
Not a waxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_M View Post
... but that's for real cars

Greg
Oh, so you're one of "those guys"

Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #17 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 06:31 PM
OT Moderator
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

Those are all the same ignorant people that I have to deal with in my industry whom think Bose is the best AV gear you can get. Ignorance is bliss.
MCathcart and DrMiller thanked this.

FFR1004659RD OFFICIAL GRADUATION

SOLD: 10/4/10

1987 Buick Grand National (All original with only 16k miles)
1965 Buick Riviera Gran Sport (Currently undergoing a frame off restoration)
1965 Buick Riviera 401 car, unrestored survivor, driver.
2005 F150 FX4, Supercrew (Daily Driver)
2001 Dodge Grand Caravan (Beater)
post #18 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 09:09 PM

Original Kit

I always explain it is a Factory Five Racing Kit, much faster and better product than the original. I then explain the original was a kit car also. Body and frame built in England, Motor, trans and rear end built in Detroit and all assembled by the Shelby team.
DrMiller thanked this.
post #19 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 10:03 PM
FFCobra Fanatic

hmmm original was a kit too..... "Yep this is a new kit, better than the old 1960's Shelby kit.... except I assembled it not someone else....."
DrMiller thanked this.

331, RPM intake, TW heads, TF STG II cam, 3:55, powerjection III, 3550 trans, NT-03M Enkei 18x9.5 & 10.5, Goodyear Rival 275-35 \ 315-30, 3-link, Fast Freddies PS, ABS, 381 RWHP 361 RWTq
post #20 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:10 AM
FFR Driver
FFCars Master Craftsman

When asked if its a kit or if its real and I feel the person is a douche bag my response is always:

"I have no idea. Its my moms car"

Coming from a 62 year old fat guy with a straight face usually keeps them moving along.
DrMiller thanked this.

Pat
FFR2302
The short term and long term consequences of the choices we make are typically different and opposite.
post #21 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:39 PM
FFCars Captain

I used to park my car on the street in front of a wine bar. I would sit and listen to the comments and they were hilarious. I would get everything from "that is only a volkswagon" to "that is worth $1,000,000." The negative type comments never bothered me.
DrMiller thanked this.

If you don't think it's real, go ahead and step in front of it!

mark III, 302 crate, 670 Holley carb, 3 link, non-donor.
post #22 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 02:02 PM

I've heard them all (well most of them) as well... I shrugged it off most the time. There will always be ignorant people.

When you get right down to it - with the values of the original CSX cars in the six-figure range - these replicas are quite literally a dime-a-dozen... If not, most of us would never be able to build/own one..

Just smile and thank the person for their unsolicited opinion and ask what car they built with their own hands.. That usually gets them moving right along..
DrMiller thanked this.

Regards - Randy

Racecar & HotRod Fab/Support
1933 Ford Tudor StreetRod
2017 Ford Raptor / 2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
post #23 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 02:46 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMiller View Post
Well, I crossed off another milestone with my car tonight, and I knew it would happen sooner or later. Was at the local show, and an older gentleman and his wife walked up to look at the car.

The car in question:

[IMG] photo IMG_8716.jpg[/IMG]

The guy looks inside the engine bay, shakes his head, turns to his wife and says "It's only a kit car - these things are dime a dozen."

Sigh.

Keep in mind I'm sitting in my chair less than 4 feet away at the time. Inner me wanted to spring up and go into full on hammer and tongs debate mode with him, however, outer me won out and I simply sat there as no good can come from engaging in discussion with someone with that kind of attitude.

So let's hear some stories eh? What's the worst you've run into with your Factory Five? Bring em' out!
When some big mouth says that "its not real" I say, next time you see it on the road, stand in front of it And Let me know if its Real.
DrMiller thanked this.
post #24 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:08 PM
www.myraceshop.com

How about "if you can't tell, then what difference does it make?" You know, kind of like the same with boobs!

I have introduced myself to a lot of Cobra owners. I usually start the conversation with "Nice Cobra. Is that a Factory Five?" I think there has only been one instance where the person was visibly upset, and he was a Superformance owner.
DrMiller thanked this.

GTM/Corvette/Racing Parts

Solution "kits" for some common GTM issues.

"How To" videos, including bodywork, frame, suspension, vehicle layout-all coming soon.

"Choose Freedom Over Freebies"
post #25 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:28 PM
Ray

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Ray
When I get the "Is it real?" question, I sometimes hold their arm, stare into their eyes and say in a hopeful voice "You see it too?"

Ray
Buck70 and DrMiller thanked this.

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement...I'd be unstoppable!
post #26 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:52 PM
FFCars Captain

Garage
One of the guys in our local club has a great looking and sounding, original 289 slab-side. His dad bought it in the late 60's and street-raced it. He and his brother completely restored it back to it's original motor and paint color / interior.
He doesn't drive it much (for obvious reasons), but does take it to a couple local car shows.
He's actually had a couple idiots challenge him that it is a Kit Car (maybe because they don't know what a 289 looks like (?), I don't know). But I do know they argued with him that it wasn't Real. (despite the aluminum body and all!)

Now that would really piss me off. I hate know-it-alls, that aren't!

I was in a hotrod store last year shopping for parts. I was about 20 feet from the counter and the worker saw my car parked out front and commented that "the Cobras are his favorite car". A customer standing at the counter responded "yeah, but it's just a kit car" very negatively (I wanted to comment or punch him) Instead, I finished my business and went outside, where I saw his ratty looking GTO parked next to me. Now, I like nice GTOs, but this one needed a LOT of work, faded paint, rust everywhere, missing trim, ratty interior, etc.

Seriously? I think there is a lot of jealousy when it comes to these cars.
DrMiller thanked this.

F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, PAINTED 4/17/14!! Wahoo!
post #27 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 05:14 PM

LOL....
You coulda ducked back into the store and asked "Who's Rat-Goat" is puking all over the parking lot!
DrMiller thanked this.

Regards - Randy

Racecar & HotRod Fab/Support
1933 Ford Tudor StreetRod
2017 Ford Raptor / 2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
post #28 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 05:55 PM

I'll share three things with regard to my experience with an original 289 that is, should we say, "well worn."

1) I used to drive all of the time with a friend who built a very nice FF and still hang out with the FF guys when I can. Without question, my friends car got WAY more attention than mine...which I understand and actually enjoyed. He took great pride in his car, as he should, and I would just stand by while he answered all kinds of questions. Every once in a while someone would notice mine and kind of whisper "Is this one an original?" but not usually. Lets face it, you guys build some beautiful cars, most appreciate them but some people (like the GTO owner) need to feel special by running your car down. It is the classic trying to build ones self up by tearing others down. Just feel sorry for them and move on.

2) I had one guy ask me if mine was 'real' to which I said "Yes." He said "No it's not." I replied "Yes, it is. It's a 1963 small block car." He said "No it's not." so I said "OK."

3) The first year after I sold my kit car and bought the 289 I was at the SAAC-18 event in Watkins Glenn. I was just getting in the car to head over the the open track grid when I guy came over to me, took a step back to look at the car then said "Put the right steering wheel in the car and it will will alright." as he tapped the wheel. I will admit that I am not proud that I used the line "Where is your car so I can see what the steering wheel should look like?" Anyway, the original owners get this nonsense too. The most common comments I get are from guys that seem to think I should have my car in pristine condition...whatever.
DrMiller thanked this.

Rob

12/7/1941
9/11/2001
3/21/2010
post #29 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:45 PM
*** CAD Librarian ***
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

That's odd, according to my calculations, these cars cost about 4,800,000 dimes for a dozen.

DrMiller thanked this.

_
_

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....†††

post #30 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:17 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
skill set

I have entertained the notion of trying to list all the tasks/skill sets needed to build a kit car. It's a much bigger list than the average hobby gearhead has ever taken on. I know I have learned several new skills already and I'm maybe 60% done with my 33 HR kit car. Then when one of those comments rolls out IF I'm in the mood to entertain the crowd pull out the list and ask them to check off the 3 boxes I hi-lighted for them and any of the other 100 or so they have done.

I did get a laugh out of a guy telling his friend that the 6.1 based stroker Hemi in my 33 HR was an LS motor "because it was a coil on plug engine"
Next comment was a 6 year old calling it a Mustang, I was puzzled until I remembered the center caps on the wheels I borrowed for the show had a prancing Mustang design on them.
DB
DrMiller thanked this.

Dale Berry 7L Hemi33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement