The "It's only a kit car" car show goer... - Page 2 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

48Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 03:48 PM
Going nowhere fast.

That is very rude.

I do have to admit that in my young brash self was once overheard calling a car at a show "A waste of perfectly good drug money" but you should have seen it!

Mike
DrMiller thanked this.

I need a new signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 05:52 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Its a sad sad state of affairs we live in. No respect for anything/anybody Everyone knows everything.Everyone has a 'meaningless. opinion.I find a lot of "so called" friends" are envious that I have a Cobra. Life is short...Enjoy your toys...
joyridin' and DrMiller thanked this.
post #33 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:20 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Being a younger owner (mid 30s), I have gotten some interesting comments. Multiple people have asked if the car is mine, even as they see me driving it. They may be expecting to hear it is moms/dads car, as dpmac says. One guy said "that's a very nice car for your age". Thanks, for the back handed compliment?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmac View Post
When asked if its a kit or if its real and I feel the person is a douche bag my response is always:
"I have no idea. Its my moms car"
Coming from a 62 year old fat guy with a straight face usually keeps them moving along.
For the most part, I try to respond in a way that downplays the car or is humble: "it's a kit car", "still in gel coat, so the parting lines are obvious here", "not done yet", "stock mustang engine", "replica of a xxx".

Brian's Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MK4, Coyote, TR-3650, 3-link, power steering/brakes, ABS
post #34 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 04:17 PM
Cobrafied
FFCars Master Craftsman

When I get the "is it real" question I tell people its an FF replica to which I normally get the "its still a really nice car". I never know how to take that. I know they are being nice and giving a positive reply. But to think its somehow not a nice car because of its origins is odd to me.
While it was at the World of Wheels show I was asked if it was a Factory Five or overheard people telling each other its a Factory Five. Its really seems to be a household name in the auto world.

MKII #4393. Supercharged 357W 600HP, Injected, Tangerine Pearl, Stone White stripes, and its almost finished!!

2011 GT500 With the SVTPP and stripe delete

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
post #35 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 06:38 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Seems to me all vehicles are "kits" until someone puts the pile of parts together regardless of origin.

513 BBF - Bigger is better
post #36 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 06:53 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

If you take your car to a show, you are basically putting it "up for comments". Thick skin required because idiots, rude, and jealous people get to make their comments too.

I have never understood that you have to pay to put your car in a show, and people can come look at it for free. It would be like NFL players paying to play football, and spectators getting in the stadium for free. If car shows charged $1 for spectators, that would weed most of the riff-raff out, and people bringing their cars would get in for free.

I never use the term "Kit Car" I use "replica". At least in Florida, kit car is a body on a different production chassis. Replica is a full build like FFR.

I did have a guy walk up and very excitedly say "Is it real???". I said "It's a replica". He said "Oh." did an about-face and walked away. My wife and I had a good laugh.

What I really don't like is, when someone that is not interested at all in building one or doesn't even know what it is, asks what it is worth. I don't know why, but that bugs me. If someone is genuinely interested in a build, that is a different story.

I think the rude comments and questions are about 1 in 500, so no big deal.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #37 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:18 PM
Not a waxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
...What I really don't like is, when someone that is not interested at all in building one or doesn't even know what it is, asks what it is worth...
I learned how to answer that question from my dearly departed friend Wade Chamberlain--- "About 20 bucks a pound".

Jeff
carlewms thanked this.

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #38 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:32 PM
FFCars Craftsman

When asked about cost by someone just fishing, I like to answer "about the same as a new mustang" and leave it at that. It doesn't give much definition, because you can spend 25k to +60k on a new mustang these days. It also happens to match up with the amount you could spend on a FFR, with a budget build around 25k, or all out for +60k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
...or doesn't even know what it is, asks what it is worth. I don't know why, but that bugs me. If someone is genuinely interested in a build, that is a different story.

Brian's Build thread:

MK4, Coyote, TR-3650, 3-link, power steering/brakes, ABS
post #39 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 09:26 PM

Garage
"Well sir , they are actually not a dime a dozen... more like $50,000 each"...
DrMiller thanked this.

Thanks,
AL Adkins
Stoneville NC.

post #40 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:17 PM
Señor Meember
FFCars Craftsman

I've gotten the occasional negative comment and I generally try not to respond but it's not always easy. It's interesting that the source of the commentator's insecurity is usually pretty obvious.

Had one guy recently looking over the car poke my passenger roll bar trim/covers roughly and ask "what are these?" I told him but it was pretty clear he didn't like them. I didn't care. Then after a little while of being quiet he fairly belligerently asked why didn't I get a Superformance? "Because I wanted to effin build it." At which point I went about my business.

Same gathering, another guy went off on my Wilwood brakes talking about how crappy their brakes were. Having had my fill of these idiots I replied with "Oh shut the hell up." and "Aw you're full of sh1t." He continued acting like an authority on the subject going on about the bad reputation of the Wilwood founder, fired from Baer, bla bla bla. I finally got tired of it and left.

Neither of these pinheads came in cars that were worth even a first glance.

Mario
brian1967, MPTech and carlewms thanked this.

FFR MKIV #7608 Complete kit w/IRS
Dart 427 w/Pro 1 CNC 210cc heads, 490rwhp/459rwtq

post #41 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 02:42 AM
FFCars Craftsman

No matter what the uneducated will say, what counts is our pride in the accomplishment of building a car that goes like a bat out of hell!

Many talk of doing something special one day, we have already done it, with some of us having done it several times. We are living a dream that some just do not get.

When I had a party for my car's graduation, an old friend congratulated me on the build. He remarked that many talk about projects like the Cobra and never follow through. Yes, I talked about building one for twenty plus years, now one sits in the garage.

Don't let anyone take away from your pride and accomplishment.

What I enjoy most about going to shows is talking about the build and getting someone excited about building one themselves one day. Dave has a great sales force out there, everyone of us is an ambassador for Factory Five.
MPTech thanked this.

MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, 255/40-17 F 295/35-17 R Kumho XS, dual roll bars, Kirkey high back seats, paint by Jeff Miller, registered 9/2014.
New project, 1970 Mustang fastback restomod. Started 10/14/16.
post #42 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 04:15 AM
FFCars Captain

Send a message via AIM to gtaroger
Iv'e had my car on the road for 10 years and Iv'e heard about everything.I have not bothered to respond to any of the comments but one. I was at the Telegraph car cruise . I was leaving a parking and a skinny guy with half a set of teeth on a rusty bicycle yells out to me and my wife (why don't you get a real car) I stopped my car and backed into the drive. I looked the toothless wonder in his eyes and told him learn to control your mouth or they will be pulling a rusty bike out of your ass at the ER.Everyone there started to laugh and but head pedaled of in a big hurry.

FFR 5168 MK II , 5.0,170 Trick Flow heads,Explorer Intake,75mm MAF,75TB,24lb injectors,Trickflow cam, Liberty built T5,4 link,Konis,Viper Red
post #43 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritoBandito View Post

Same gathering, another guy went off on my Wilwood brakes talking about how crappy their brakes were. Having had my fill of these idiots I replied with "Oh shut the hell up." and "Aw you're full of sh1t." He continued acting like an authority on the subject going on about the bad reputation of the Wilwood founder, fired from Baer, bla bla bla. I finally got tired of it and left.

Mario
Just to clarify, Bill Woods founded Wilwood in 1977. Hal Baer established Baer brakes in 1986

John

Dynacorn '67 Fastback, Dart 363, Magnum 6 speed, 3.7 ratio 9", Eaton Truetrac. It's in pieces but will be together, sometime.
'14 Taurus SHO. Most all the bells and whistles.
post #44 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 03:15 PM
FFCars Captain

Garage
I'd rather talk to the kids and let them sit in it for pictures.
At least they appreciate it for what it IS.
MCathcart thanked this.

F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, PAINTED 4/17/14!! Wahoo!
post #45 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 03:44 AM
Charter Member
FFCars Major

Recently a guy on FB called me a 'poser' for having a 'kit car'.....He was driving a piss yellow (or maybe it was puke green) '80s Camaro. I just laughed.

I'd have finished a long time ago if I knew they were this fun!

FFR 4888: Street Cobra: No Scoop, No Pipes, No Rollbar.

302, TW heads, E-cam, Edlebrock intake and carb.
post #46 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:17 AM

^^^ - The mullet has clouded his judgement. ?

In full disclosure, I had a yellow 1985 yellow IROC back in the day.
post #47 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 05:32 PM

I do one show in my home town each year. Had a guy tell his wife that my roadster was just a Volkswagen with a different body. I jumped up and looked in the trunk, SOMEONE STOLE THE ENGINE! I opened the hood and told his wife NO PROBLEM, I'll Use the backup! Gave her a wink and told them to have a nice day and enjoy the fords with chevy engines!??
post #48 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Persons View Post
Just to clarify, Bill Woods founded Wilwood in 1977. Hal Baer established Baer brakes in 1986
No wonder they fired him! :-)
WIS89 thanked this.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #49 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 01:48 AM

Tell them to take a trip down to Shelby America in Las Vegas and place an order for a $150k Cobra. While not a replica, bet ya it won't come with powertrain and will also register as a "Kit Car"!

MKIV #8536 - [302 + 650 Carb][T5][17" Halibrands][Cobra 'Big' Brakes][Manual Brakes +Steering]
post #50 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 03:43 AM
FFCars Craftsman

On a totally positive note I was at the Griots Garage flagship store in Tacoma today and the people there were awesome. We spent some time out at the car and some of them remembered the blog post Griots did on my car last spring.

So, at the end when I was checking out the store manager asked me if I wanted to display my car in their showroom for April. The theme is supercars (this month is Ferrari). I was pretty surprised and honored by the offer....

The reason I am even saying all of this is because I then said don't you think some people are really going to get mad about my "kit car" in there.

He replied "I dont care"....

Also, April 1st for their caffeine and gasoline event I am sure I'll hear some great comments while I stay a fly on the wall around my car. Ill be sure to share them....

Michael

Kit Purchased - 10/13/14
Build School - 10/17/14
Ship Date - 11/10/14
Delivered - 12/7/14 Coupe #669
First Start - 4/9/15
Go Kart - 5/2/15
Licensed - 7/17/15
Paint - 1/24/16 - 4/7/16
Hyperbolically crawling towards graduation -

IRS 3.27 TruTrac
TKO-600 Wilwoods

post #51 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 02:47 PM

I usually respond by saying my car is better than a real one because its safer and I can drive it regularly. On that note, I'm going to drive my fake car to work today because its a heck of a lot better than driving my real Acura RDX.
carlewms thanked this.
post #52 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:05 PM
Official OLD GUY
FFCars Captain

Red face Not

JKolbfleisch,

Quote: "place an order for a $150k Cobra. While not a replica . . ."

Just to clarify something;

ALL of the parts that were located/found in Shelby's [old, forgotten] warehouse were used to build approx 100 cars - the "Continuation" Cobras. Parts are all gone cars are all sold. EVERYTHING (Cobra) his company builds now is a REPLICA.

It's a kit, being assembled by his [many] employees . . . parts from everywhere. If you order the aluminum body, it comes from Kirkham.

I live in Vegas, been to the site and seen the assembly line. Really no different then the factory that Superformance occupies in Africa for their kit cars or the factory that Backdraft uses to assemble theirs.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now . . .

Doc

little block, BIG BLOCK . . .
HUMMMMMMM?
FFR3712K (POPSDRM) in Lost Wages, NV.
MKII, 5.0, "Tubular" GT40-EFI, E-303, T5, 17" 5-Lug Chrome Cobra "R's", Nitto 275/315's, PBR 4 wheel Disks, Full Tubular/Coil-Over suspension, 20:1 Flaming River, 3.73's, 3-Link, Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, Custom Footbox Air vents, Extended PS footbox, Custom Turn Signals, Custom 4-into-4 headers, Non-Donor build, Ford Royal Blue Pearl w/ Arctic White stripes.

Last edited by Big Blocker; 03-12-2017 at 04:12 PM.
post #53 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 05:18 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Like Avalanche said, if you take your car to a car show, you are putting it on display for comments. You could be driving a Maclaren P1 (my favorite), and there will still be someone criticizing that the Porsche 918 was faster around a particular track. If you're driving the 918, someone may comment the P1 is more of a driver's car and funner to drive. Still others may criticize either aren't real cars because they are hybrids.

My point being, opinions are what they are, opinions. Personally, I'd rather be driving. Cheers.

FFR 4031K, twin-turbo dart block 331, AOD, 144.91 mph in the 1/4 mile
post #54 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 05:43 PM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Captain

Thomas,
I agree!!! I might even sneak in a short drive today if rain stops long enough!? lol
Butch

My point being, opinions are what they are, opinions. Personally, I'd rather be driving. Cheers.[/QUOTE]

This ain't no circus--and I don't need any clowns!

MKI #1437, EFI 347, Astro T-5, 3:55 8.8rr, and other upgrades--
post #55 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:12 AM

some have little regard for anything

"Car guys, they all get it," he said. "All the guys who have done cars, even those that buy their cars. But the people who build something from the ground up. They just understand the time and effort, the bloody knuckles and the sore backs."

Auto shop devastated after 'priceless' 1960 Corvette stolen, burned | MLive.com
post #56 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:33 PM
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Doc,

If ol' Shelby was still alive and you walked into his office (with a Large Piles of Cash), he'd remember a Frame that he'd forgot about from the 1960's.

I 100% agree on the Continuation Car statement. I'm sure the folks that own them feel different.

Besides the "Kit" statement I detest the "Oh... So it's on a Mustang Frame"!

I've also talked to a bunch of "folks" that said, "I think I'll build one, in about 10 years". Hummm.... Yea, O-Kay nice talking to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
JKolbfleisch,

Quote: "place an order for a $150k Cobra. While not a replica . . ."

Just to clarify something;

ALL of the parts that were located/found in Shelby's [old, forgotten] warehouse were used to build approx 100 cars - the "Continuation" Cobras. Parts are all gone cars are all sold. EVERYTHING (Cobra) his company builds now is a REPLICA.

It's a kit, being assembled by his [many] employees . . . parts from everywhere. If you order the aluminum body, it comes from Kirkham.

I live in Vegas, been to the site and seen the assembly line. Really no different then the factory that Superformance occupies in Africa for their kit cars or the factory that Backdraft uses to assemble theirs.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now . . .

Doc
post #57 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 03:08 PM
Not a waxer

Not show related but still in line with the wacky comments we sometimes get... I came out of the grocery store ('cause I'll drive it anywhere ) one evening and the 17ish year old kid out wrangling shopping carts was just staring at it. He struck up a conversation about how it was his dream car, blah, blah, blah but as he talked things started changing and now it turns out that his Grandfather has one that he bought new but hasn't driven for years and they are going to restore it together. We've all heard it so I just said "Sounds fun" and finished loading up the trunk. The best part was when he told me that they were going to use a fiberglass body because the original one was so rusty. I didn't have the heart to tell him any better because he'd gotten himself so excited coming up with his story and simply said "That's probably a good decision"

Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #58 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:24 PM
Superannuated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
JKolbfleisch,

Doc
Thought I remembered the following from the original patent appeal case (Factory Five Racing, Inc. v. Carroll Shelby and Carroll Hall Shelby Trust), so I looked it up again.

"... we find no meaningful distinction between what applicant often refers to as a continuation, on the one hand, and a replica, on the other hand."

Meaning the patent and trademark office sees no difference between a Shelby "continuation" and a "replica" in this case.

GK
post #59 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:45 PM
OT Moderator
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody's got one.

I wouldn't sweat what anyone say's, and/or thinks. Do what makes YOU happy, not the other guy.

FFR1004659RD OFFICIAL GRADUATION

SOLD: 10/4/10

1987 Buick Grand National (All original with only 16k miles)
1965 Buick Riviera Gran Sport (Currently undergoing a frame off restoration)
1965 Buick Riviera 401 car, unrestored survivor, driver.
2005 F150 FX4, Supercrew (Daily Driver)
2001 Dodge Grand Caravan (Beater)
post #60 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:28 PM
Official OLD GUY
FFCars Captain

Genghis,

My point exactly . . . if it doesn't have a CSX3000 series number, it's either one of 100 "continuation" (CSX4000) cars or a replica. Owners of the CSX4000 series will always tell you theirs is a continuation car no matter when it was built - or what number it is.
So I guess if you own a CSX4101 to CSX4999 car it's anybodies guess, right? Most will be fiberglass, only a few ($$$) people can afford the Kirkham aluminum upgrade.

Just my 2¢ (again)

Doc

little block, BIG BLOCK . . .
HUMMMMMMM?
FFR3712K (POPSDRM) in Lost Wages, NV.
MKII, 5.0, "Tubular" GT40-EFI, E-303, T5, 17" 5-Lug Chrome Cobra "R's", Nitto 275/315's, PBR 4 wheel Disks, Full Tubular/Coil-Over suspension, 20:1 Flaming River, 3.73's, 3-Link, Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, Custom Footbox Air vents, Extended PS footbox, Custom Turn Signals, Custom 4-into-4 headers, Non-Donor build, Ford Royal Blue Pearl w/ Arctic White stripes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement