Guardrail Camera/Radar ?? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
FFCars Master Craftsman

Guardrail Camera/Radar ??

I've read that these are in use in Europe. How long before they make it to your local Interstate?

If a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound? If a radar gun is placed in a guard rail on an interstate highway is it fair to motorist? No it’s not fair but is it legal? It sure is.

Coming soon to an interstate highway or other major traffic bearing road near you. The permanent speed camera and radar gun. These units tuck nicely into the guard rail along a long stretch of highway, and if you’re traveling above the posted speed in the words of Food Network, you are toast.

Actually this unit that you see pictured here is not like the Red Flex cameras that are currently in use in Acadiana. These are radar guns, much like the hand held devices you see State Troopers use on the Basin Bridge. These radar guns relay data, including a picture of the offending vehicle to a waiting patrol unit down the road a mile or two.

Is your radar detector useless against this stealthy approach to nailing speeders? You can count on about the same amount of warning as you get against the hand held guns. The hidden radar guns are activated by a motion sensor several hundred feet ahead of the gun. If you happen to be traveling alone you might get popped. If you are trailing a pack of cars that trip the system you might get an advanced warning of the possible speed trap.

The best advice we can offer, travel the posted speed, leave earlier so you don’t have to rush and just freaking relax. Life is too short to have to worry about paying speeding fines that you really don’t need to get.
yankabilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
FFCars Master Craftsman

There was a picture, of the guardrail/camera.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

No picture.....

Old 06-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cone Killer
FFCars Master Craftsman

As a self-proclamed cheap bastard, I rarely speed (or am within 5 mph of the limit). It saves very little time, if any. I'm much more relaxed and I don't have to worry about a ticket.

As a public service, I like to maintain the speed limit in the left lane to make sure the motorists around me are also obeying the speed limit.

Ok, I just made up that last part just to see who would yell at me. :P

G3F Build Blog: http://g3f-redjoker.blogspot.com/
RedJoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
FFCars Master Craftsman

Thanks Paul.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Shade Tree Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
As a self-proclamed cheap bastard, I rarely speed (or am within 5 mph of the limit). It saves very little time, if any. I'm much more relaxed and I don't have to worry about a ticket.

As a public service, I like to maintain the speed limit in the left lane to make sure the motorists around me are also obeying the speed limit.

When on a long trip I usually set my cruise to about 5-10 MPH over the limit (always under 80) and I have NEVER gotten a ticket. I know exactly what you mean about not making up any time by speeding. I see the same dip-sh!ts passing me all the time......they must be stopping for gas/food/rest stops etc so they never make up the time difference.

I can now only assume that the cameras will have some sort of tolerance built in? Say +5 MPH over? I know on I285 (the Atlanta perimeter) the cops are very tolerant I had one tell me they don't target you for a ticket till you are over 80 and that's in a 55 mind you.....still there are idiots that have to do triple digit speed.

Also if they put cameras in Atlanta as an example, all the locals would know where they were ....right? they are pretty obvious........unless they had them every mile

"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner

78 mph is my sweet spot on the interstate. 2011 Doge Caravan consistently gets 27-28 mpg at that speed as well. Not bad at all for big vehicle with 283 HP on tap. It's my company car so I don't care except I'm still saving the planet and all

Greg
Greg_M is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:

So you are "that guy", the left lane loafer. :=}
Troubleshooting Rule #1. Check the simplest and least expensive things first.
Bullethole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

Garage
I guess this is a "good" thing / deterrent. Saves lives and all, but I wish they spent as much time catching bad guys and preventing crime as they spend "preventing" speeding!
I don't like these or the red-light cameras. Not that I speed or run red lights, but some are set up to be a trap.

On Memorial Day, I was going to a car show, hosted by Fast Lane. On the way there, heading North on 270, in a 3 mile stretch I counted 7 highway patrol cars, 4 of them with cars pulled over. I just cruised by them in the middle lane doing 60 - 65. I was in no hurry and it was a beautiful day.
MPTech MK4 Garage F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, PAINTED 4/17/14!! Wahoo!
MPTech is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
MJN

It's just another method of revenue collection. Which in turn feeds the system....... Lawyers, insurance companies etc. Yes I know it will never happen but here's an interesting thought. If everybody stopped breaking traffic laws what would all these people do?
Old 06-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
www.myraceshop.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN View Post
It's just another method of revenue collection. Which in turn feeds the system....... Lawyers, insurance companies etc. Yes I know it will never happen but here's an interesting thought. If everybody stopped breaking traffic laws what would all these people do?
Become politicians?

GTM/Corvette/Racing Parts

Solution "kits" for some common GTM issues.

"How To" videos, including bodywork, frame, suspension, vehicle layout-all coming soon.

"Choose Freedom Over Freebies"
crash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
MJN

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Become politicians?
Yeah you are probably right. Scary thought.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
iBuild

in NJ the red light scamera is the big thing now, it was a test program to help safety, but its really just raised money and in does nothing to help safety. Though it records the crash, so that is something.

The biggest thing is people getting nailed making a right on red with them. Speed cameras seem like a natural progression...
MKIII Roadster #5835; IRS, Team III Wheels, Kuhmo XS Tires
Anderson Performance 408 Engine; Levy G-Force T5 rebuilt by Hanlon Motorsports
Engine Installed July 4th, First start July 5th 2009
Metal Morphous paint completed on November 20th, 2010
Titled and legal July, 2011
Someday I Suppose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Captain

rattle can
VPR-KLR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:

I trust that RedJoker is pulling our leg about the Left Lane Bandit crack. (LLB's)

For those that may not be aware, at least in California (and I suspect other states as well) is strictly against the law.

V C Section 21654 Slow Moving Vehicles

I believe, but have no proof that LLB's generate road rage.

Jeff
Old 06-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
www.myraceshop.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster Jeff View Post
I trust that RedJoker is pulling our leg about the Left Lane Bandit crack. (LLB's)

For those that may not be aware, at least in California (and I suspect other states as well) is strictly against the law.

Jeff
I see nothing in your cited regulation that would preclude anyone from going the speed limit in any lane they choose. If you are going slower than the limit, then you need to stay to the right, but as long as you are going the limit, it is not a violation to be in the left hand lane.

As I gave my opinion in another thread, if you are going slower than the guy behind you, move to the right, but just because someone does not does not mean it is proper ETIQUETTE to pass on the right.

GTM/Corvette/Racing Parts

Solution "kits" for some common GTM issues.

"How To" videos, including bodywork, frame, suspension, vehicle layout-all coming soon.

"Choose Freedom Over Freebies"
crash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 12:52 AM   #17 (permalink)

Which is why people should stay right, pass on the left.

MVRIGHT
mvright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
Shade Tree Mechanic

12 states have laws against the radar cameras and they look nothing like the one posted above. They look like normal traffic cameras. Apparently there is one in WDC that generated 8 million in revenue. There was a piece on the NBC news about it tonight.

Questioning the motives behind speed cameras - Video on NBCNews.com

"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

It is all about the money they do not care about saving lives. Some speed and red light cameras have been removed. People have had them put on a ballot and voted them out. Most of the money gose to the camera company not the city and that is not right. I f you get pulled over for it you get points if it's he camera no points?
Gregg Wade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

There's the key - get on the agenda of your local authority and have questions you already know the answer to.

Public exposure of your employee's making decisions to enrich the coffers of the cam companies doesn't roll well for election. Just asking around and politely questioning your elected reps will do a lot to give them the heads up.

If they have to justify the public safety with a traffic cam, ask them at what cost to the public? If they are ok with the cam company getting millions in fees, then they can say so right out in front of the cameras.

If the system won't give you an answer to a FOIA request, then they can answer for that, too.

What is happening in DC is that too many are public service employees in fear of their job. They won't ask, they are so urbanized to the coast attitude they can't exercise their own independence. They gave up before they even tried, slaves to the Man.
tirod is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 03:01 AM   #21 (permalink)
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
I see nothing in your cited regulation that would preclude anyone from going the speed limit in any lane they choose. If you are going slower than the limit, then you need to stay to the right, but as long as you are going the limit, it is not a violation to be in the left hand lane.

As I gave my opinion in another thread, if you are going slower than the guy behind you, move to the right, but just because someone does not does not mean it is proper ETIQUETTE to pass on the right.
Perhaps read section b again.

Best,
Jeff

(b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of subdivision (a) of this section.

21654. (a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:14 AM   #22 (permalink)
Ray

Garage
Quote:

Jeff
Jeff,

Not to blow your bubble, but this section only applies to "prime facie" speed limits (21654. (a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits...) That means all speed limits that are less then maximum speed limits (like the ones you see on freeways, 70-65-55 or speed limits in school zones-residential areas, 25-mph.) On a 70-mph freeway, if you want to drive 70 in the number-1 (fast) lane you are perfectly, legally allowed to do so regardless of how many vehicles are following you. If you are driving below the maximum speed limit, then you are required to move into the far right lane unless you are passing even slower traffic.

21654 does refer to "highways" but all public streets, roads, avenues etc are highways. A freeway is just a specific type of highway.

Ray
Old 06-06-2013, 04:27 AM   #23 (permalink)
FFCars Master Craftsman

I don't like the "left lane loafer" I believe you were making a joke about it as I refuse to believe a fellow FFR member would be guilty of this offense which is my pet peeve. I hate those guys, and when I am able to pass....give them my "stern look"

Cheers

Bob
Old 06-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
I feel that if a left lane hogger does not have the etiquette to move the @#$% over, then I don't need to have the etiquette to wait behind them indefinitely.

Two wrongs get me to work faster, or so I imagine.

Quote:
Perhaps read section b again.

Best,
Jeff

(b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of subdivision (a) of this section.

21654. (a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
I have noticed many cars that qualify to drive in the HOV (usually the left most lane) will "prepare" by driving in the left lane miles and miles before the HOV lane is even available. And by "miles", I am not exagerating. I drive a stretch of I66 that is two lanes eastbound 16 miles before there is an HOV lane. Nearly every Prius I see is parked in the left lane doing the speed limit with a trail of 20 cars behind them.

Edit: I think it's also important to note that, when someone is tailgating or zipping through traffic, you have NO IDEA why they are doing it. You can SPECULATE that it's because they're simply a scofflaw. But they could have a legitimate reason. That's why I get the hell out of the way if someone is catching up to me from behind and I've got not traffic directly in front of me. Maybe its a medical emergency. Maybe the person just got stung by a wasp and is having an allergic reaction. Whatever! Let 'em go!
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." - 1971, Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Last edited by jimgood; 06-06-2013 at 02:16 PM..
jimgood is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
I know exactly what you mean about not making up any time by speeding. I see the same dip-sh!ts passing me all the time......they must be stopping for gas/food/rest stops etc so they never make up the time difference.
Actually by speeding they are absolutely making up the time difference. That is why they catch you after stopping and pass you

FFR MK3.1 7075 Delivered: 10/13/09, First start 2/28/11, gokart 10 minutes later
408w carbed, TKO 600, IRS (3.27 with Torsen), dual roll bars, halibrand replicas, SS side pipes, rivet on hood scoop, SAI mod

Satisfied customer of: Factory Five Racing, Mike Forte, Breeze Automotive, Whitby Motors, Herb's Door Panels, Cobra Heat, Stewart Transport, Wayne Presley (Very Cool Parts), North Racecars, and Finish Line

First Start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77c6s_ngfGw
Dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoNGxVHmjME
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement