Need recommendation for portable GPS - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2007, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Supermoderator

Need recommendation for portable GPS

My kids want to chip in and get me one for Christmas, but of course I have to tell them exactly which one I want. What brand? What model? I want something with voice guidance that will auto-compute a new route if I deviate from the existing route. Other than that, I don't care about bells and whistles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Twain

Email joseph.leone "at" comcast.net
oldguy668 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Professional Internet Browser
FFCars Major

Mio is really truly awesome. Pretty inexpensive (around 200 dollars), fantasticly easy to use (evidenced by the fact that my parents figured it out) and it has configurable auto recalcuate options unlike many of the more expensive models. Everyone who I have recommended one to loves them, even after trying the mainstream ones, garmin, tomtom, etc.

The best part is if you want to "try" tom tom or garmin, you can install the software on the Mio with some simple hacks. It runs a windows based OS.
Aaron Silidker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Trenchant

Garmin Nuvi, no question.

They have a variety of models, some with and some without a real time traffic update antenna and service.

How much do you think they want to spend?

The short answer is NUVI!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
DMW
FFCobra Master Craftsman

I have a Megellan because it's what I'm used to in Hertz Rental cars. I think they are all great at this point and a real value for the money when you look at prices of only a couple years ago. In two years, they'll be cheaper than the spiral bound map of Boston!
DMW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
FFCars Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by faterikcartman View Post
Garmin Nuvi, no question.

They have a variety of models, some with and some without a real time traffic update antenna and service.

How much do you think they want to spend?

The short answer is NUVI!

So funny you mention the Nuvi. Last night in San Fran I had my buddies Nuvi and my Mio running side by side to compare (he asked for my recommendation and then got the Nuvi so he wanted to see the Mio). The Nuvi was hard to follow in the busy streets of San Fran and is far less intuitive to use. He liked the Mio better. Best thing to do is try them, find people with them and use them to see.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've got one of the best factory Nav systems made in my 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid.
My wife has the TomTom One-XL.
The TomTom has a "no brainer" very intuitive user interface that blows the Toyota Nav out of the water. The 4+" screen is clear and easy to follow. Variable voices. Will interface with some phones via Blue-Tooth for hands-free capability, PLUS it will automatically use your cell phone to get traffic updates.

It will also re-calculate the route if you deviate.

Now - All that said, the only thing I don't like about the TomTom is that they don't support my cellular provider (Sprint) so we can't use some of the whiz-bang functions.

There's a good reason why TomTom is number 1 in aftermarket GPS NAV systems..
69 Camaro SS 4spd
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid - 44.2 MPG daily driver
2002 Avalanche 2500 - Avian Target
My GT-40 Build Site: http://www.GT-FORTY.com
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2007, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Captain

Garmin!!

It's like dealing with FFR. When my daughter's power adapter broke after two years, she called them and they mailed her a new one no questions asked. She didn't even have to return the old one. Customer service like that should be rewarded with more business.
USMC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2007, 11:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Moderator Ad Nauseum

Joe, if it makes a difference to you.

Garmin? US Company

Tom Tom? French

d
3733k Stock 5.0, 3:55 gears, 15" Halibrands, '91 donor, Tremec 3550. "Arrest Me" Yellow / Black Stripes.

My car: a lightweight, precision-guided, sledgehammer.
NAGA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 12:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

I bought Kathy a Garmin C550 a year ago. She likes it. Seems to work well. Of course the newer better faster ones are out. I don't think you can wrong with most of the upper end units. One of Micro card, bluetooth, fm transmitter, mp3 player ones.
I have to tell ya though Kathy speeks fluent spanish and german, so it freaks me out when some German chick trys to tell me to..drehen Sie nach links un einen Kilometer Sie dummer Idiot or...turn left in one kilometer you stupid idiot!

Last edited by Cobra Cory; 12-04-2007 at 12:07 AM..
Cobra Cory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 12:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

I bought my wife a Garmin 2620 a few years back. About a year ago, we had the gps on the dash of my wife's Sable using the bean bag. A quick acceleration and the thing slid off and landed screen first on the shifter. The screen still displayed but there the touch screen no longer worked. Figured the cost to repair would be more than the cost of a new one. Nope. $75 and the replacement unit in about a week.

I like the interface and the service is great. My wife never liked it, but loves the one in her Lexus.

Garmin has a broad range of products. I would try to find a Garmin in my price range that had an interface I like,
Old 12-04-2007, 01:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

Another vote for Garmin.
Got them in both vehicles, boat, snowmobile and airplane. All different Garmins. I can move from one to the other with no problems.

Doug

Arrival: 11/26/06 (My Birthday) Roller: 4/20/08 First Start & Gokart: 10/18/08 Body back on for the first time since delivery: 1/18/09 Registered: April 2010 Graduation: When it's finished!
Stinson Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 01:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Craftsman

Costco has the Garmin Nuvi 650 on sale for $299 right now. That's about $50 cheaper than even Ebay. If you want one and it says they're sold out, check back every day and they might have more (it's happened twice in the last week and a half). I didn't need the bluetooth or want the traffic stuff (which I believe is subscription based) so the 650 is perfect for me ... besides, the next model up -- 660 -- is about $150 more.

HTH,

Planning basic doner build with 3-link, 4 wheel disc, factory PS and PB.
Techno Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 02:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
FFCars Major

Mio is 230 shipped and easier to use than Nuvi. Read some reviews before hand http://www.gpslodge.com/archives/cat...ps_reviews.php
Old 12-04-2007, 06:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Trenchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silidker View Post
Mio is 230 shipped and easier to use than Nuvi. Read some reviews before hand http://www.gpslodge.com/archives/cat...ps_reviews.php
Yeah, I've read some reviews, hence my recommendation to get the latest Nuvi.

Call me crazy, but for me the purpose of a GPS, more than being easy to use (which the Nuvi is unless you're stoopid) is accurate and quick route directions. Here, in this most crucial category, the Mio falls short of the Nuvi. Moreover, there are reviews out there that say the Nuvi interface is easier.

You get what you pay for, IMO.

Last edited by faterikcartman; 12-04-2007 at 06:55 AM..
faterikcartman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 11:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Supermoderator

Thank you all for the insightful information. Time to do some shopping.

Mark Twain

Old 12-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAGA View Post
Joe, if it makes a difference to you.

Garmin? US Company

Tom Tom? French

d
Make's a difference to me... The TomTom will go out in the trash.. I won't have anything French.. Not even Fries... Thanks Don! The wife will get a Garmin for Christmas and we'll see how that works..
69 Camaro SS 4spd
Old 12-04-2007, 12:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Just another quick vote for Garmin. I've had the 2610 for 5+ years now and love it. I'm in sales and on the road, so I use it almost every day. It's traveled with me all over the country and Canada and never failed me yet.

6362RD picked up 10/27/07 - Sold to John Lipka on 3/31/11

4469 delivered 6/28/03 - finished 4/4/05. Supercharged 5.0 Claret Red Metallic. Sold to Cobra Cory in 2/07.
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 02:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
FFCars Major

Faterik-

I just used a Nuvi this past weekend side by side with my older Mio, it took longer to acquire the signal and was less accurate. The directions it gave were extremely confusing. Mio is Korean if that matters to anyone.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
FFCobra Master Craftsman
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Make's a difference to me... The TomTom will go out in the trash.. I won't have anything French.. Not even Fries... Thanks Don! The wife will get a Garmin for Christmas and we'll see how that works..
You need to get the facts right before bashing a product for something that it's not!

TOMTOM is a Dutch company.

And if it makes you happier, they're probably all MADE IN CHINA.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Supermoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
I won't have anything French.. Not even Fries....
So the question becomes...If you cut the potatoes and cook them in your own kitchen, and there's no one around to taste them, are they still french fries?

Mark Twain

Old 12-04-2007, 04:15 PM   #21 (permalink)

I have a TomTom and I will NOT be getting another one. I bought it because it has maps for the US and Europe and is well rated in Europe. I find here in the US it has routing issues that are pretty significant. If I need to travel straight east of my house down a major county highway it routes me at least 10 miles the other way. Repeated calls to support requesting assistance has gone nowhere and repeated submissions to the map correction site have gone nowhere.

Dan
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 04:53 PM   #22 (permalink)

One more for Garmin! Headquarters in KC, been in the business from the start, and my (going on) 4 year old Garmin 2610 has never let me down. One thing to note though - map updates are NOT cheap, and Garmin secures their maps so there aren't aftermarket/hacked/stolen copies available. For the $150 map update charge, I'm just planning to upgrade the whole GPS every few years and demote my GPS to the wife.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:59 PM   #23 (permalink)

I have the tomtom one XL-S with text to speech. So far my experience has been excellent. It is extremely accurate and the wide screen is easy to read and use the touch screen keys. It is many times better than most build in navigation I've seen and I can take it in the house and download updates to all the maps etc... Love it.

FFR MK3.1 7075 Delivered: 10/13/09, First start 2/28/11, gokart 10 minutes later
408w carbed, TKO 600, IRS (3.27 with Torsen), dual roll bars, halibrand replicas, SS side pipes, rivet on hood scoop, SAI mod

Satisfied customer of: Factory Five Racing, Mike Forte, Breeze Automotive, Whitby Motors, Herb's Door Panels, Cobra Heat, Stewart Transport, Wayne Presley (Very Cool Parts), North Racecars, and Finish Line

First Start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77c6s_ngfGw
Dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoNGxVHmjME
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 05:38 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy668 View Post
So the question becomes...If you cut the potatoes and cook them in your own kitchen, and there's no one around to taste them, are they still french fries?
Nope - American Fries... I don't cut those little zig-zags in them - it always reminded me of the lace that probably garners a French General's undies....
69 Camaro SS 4spd
Old 12-04-2007, 05:45 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by french-connection View Post
You need to get the facts right before bashing a product for something that it's not!

TOMTOM is a Dutch company.

And if it makes you happier, they're probably all MADE IN CHINA.

Who's bashing a product? I'm simply stating my own personal preference...
Some people would call it an opinion.
Frankly I have no time for France as a country and I wouldn't walk across the street to pee on the Eiffel Tower even it it were on fire.. Although I have no problem with people from that country as long as they're not part of the government.

If that makes me a @-hole then that's just fine - I've been called worse (not to mention that I probably am)...
69 Camaro SS 4spd
Old 12-05-2007, 04:12 AM   #26 (permalink)
Trenchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silidker View Post
Faterik-

I just used a Nuvi this past weekend side by side with my older Mio, it took longer to acquire the signal and was less accurate. The directions it gave were extremely confusing. Mio is Korean if that matters to anyone.
That's great for you and bad for your friend.

Earlier you suggested reading some reviews on the Mio. I did. The problem isn't that the maps are not accurate, but that the route advice is poor.

I think the Nuvi is really, really, easy to use. Some people are confused by dictionaries. I cannot help them. I'm sorry you guys were confused.

The electronics press and Pop Mechanics/Science all love the Nuvi and say it is the best. I admit that they may all be wrong and you are right.

Moreover, as I mentioned before, there are many models of Nuvi -- currently twenty-one! Perhaps you had a model inferior to your Mio model?

Regardless, I'm am totally happy the Mio works for you. The Nuvi works for me. Either may work for the original poster. But you suggested folks read reviews. I did. The Mio has a reputation for giving route guidance that is not as good as the Nuvi. I cannot change that. They may be wrong and you right. But you said to read some reviews and that's what they said.

That is all.
Advertisement