GTM vs New Corvette - Page 4 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
GTM Forum sponsored by Mendeola Powertrain
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing GTM Supercar > Factory Five GTM Forum
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2008, 02:24 PM   #91 (permalink)
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Craftsman

Now that the numbers have been some what clarified. Here's a teaser on the interior comment. The GTR's numbers are impressive, but ugly is still ugly. Looks like a Hyundia mated with a delorean (my opinion)

Also, this is a GTM forum, your GTR won't get much love here!!
samurai41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #92 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

[QUOTE=jmf003;1595633]

Car and Driver's test results for the 505 horsepower FFR-owned GTM are:

Braking, 70-0 mph: 166 ft

[QUOTE]

Memory check:

I remember C&D having brake issues, and we discussed that here. We've already seen a GTM braking of 60-0 in less than 100'.

GTM #55
jdpanero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #93 (permalink)
Administrator

Lance... Dude... wow man, super super impressive! Those door panels are amazing! Seats are also. You should sell those things!!

David
David Borden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #94 (permalink)
Administrator

Guys, lets try and keep it civil please . We all have different reasons for wanting a GTM or any other car. Neither is right or wrong. Its just right for the person choosing.

Realistically, a properly setup GTM with an LS7,2,6 will slaughter a GTR to 60 or beyond... but it would probably take a pro driver to better it on a race track. Time will tell. The GTR has an amazing amount of electronics/driving aid... frankly, it blows my mind... I'd love it for a daily driver.

It wont get the attention a GTM gets. Mary and I went to dinner friday night in it, and stopped to get gas. We had 8 people swarming the car in less than 20 seconds. It pretty much happens any time we take it out

David

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm
David Borden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #95 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Borden View Post
Lance... Dude... wow man, super super impressive! Those door panels are amazing! Seats are also. You should sell those things!!

David
I agree with dave,Market those babies me first!!
Old 04-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #96 (permalink)
FFCars Master Craftsman

I will send you a check today if you want to make me some of those door skins!
fuzzyjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #97 (permalink)

I can't think of any reason why not to buy a GTR other then 99% of the people will have trouble disctinguishing it from an altima with a body kit. That car looks less appealing then any sportscar I can recall.
Girf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2008, 10:36 PM   #98 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

Sorry, not trying to stir up discontent hear on the GTM board, just wanted to respond to the original question of this thread. If someone is willing to cross-shop a C6 ZO6 with a GTM why not a GTR. The GTR is the same price and has recently been proven to be a quicker car than the ZO6. Road and Track recorded the following results at ButtonWillow's 2.73 Mile road course:

GT-R 1:56.9
997TT 2:02.1
Z06 2:02.2

I'd also like to add that I am not a Nissan 'Fan Boy'. I bought a C5 Corvette new in 2001, I've owned a Nissan Skyline GTR while living in Japan, and I cut my teeth racing 5.0L mustangs in college. I can appreciate all cars including the FF Roadster and the GTM. I've even visited FF and spent countless hours posting numerous chops of the GTM, because I think it's a cool concept. At my current point in life the GTR makes more sense to me for my own reasons, but I absolutely respect the GTM and those who build them. Hopefully we will see more GTMs sharing the track with other enthusiasts and their assorted rides...

-AL

Living the dream one car at a time!
ture1945 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #99 (permalink)

Hopefully we will see more GTMs sharing the track with other enthusiasts and their assorted rides...

-AL

Living the dream one car at a time![/QUOTE]

If my Orange car sells, I am seriously considering making my next one for street and open track/TT use.
fact5racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 03:32 AM   #100 (permalink)
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Craftsman

Thanks for the kind words guy's, Figured I'd give a teaser and reward those who read every thread..

Our Z06 is a monster, but equals a stock ls1 gtm build in my opinion. So you guy's going crazy on HP in the GTM, be careful!!!! (If anyone would rather own this, than a GTM, send me a PM --only 2.4k miles)

samurai41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #101 (permalink)
GTM Fanatic
FFCars Master Craftsman

I would just like to state for the record, that i drool and stare at EVERY corvette that i see.. in fact i give a second look to EVERY car that i know to have over 300 hp!

I WANT a corvette, i want a GTM, i may think the GTR is meh/bleh in looks but i think the designers of the car NAILED IT! Its an AWD monster. Its hefty and its brawny and its hairy but it moves and beats its competitors in the face with a physics book as if to say... "you just got learned in physics! 4 tires > 2 tires when it comes to putting down power!!!"

As all of you know engineering is about compromises and with each drive train layout there are cons and pros. I have an equal and great desire to own all those cars and i want to experience the driving dynamics and the joys and hardships of ownership for each of those cars.

I am like most of you guys only with less money right now.. I cant even afford to buy 1/2 of a car right now, but if i had the money for 1 whole car and had to pick from many it would be a very tough decision. Even though i cant afford a car now, i have made up my mind that i will build a GTM. I will also own a vette one day.. its has been a dream of mine before the GTM existed.

Im also in the 5.0L mustang as a first car club.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #102 (permalink)

look on you tube and watch the ZR1 Ferrari and porsche all smoke the GTR it's a good car but way over rated in one article its 0-60 time was well over 4 seconds and quarter et was well over 12, hardly supercar, more like ponycar! and it has been proven that some of the faster Nissan GTRS were tuned by nissan for testing and they were making more than 500 hp at the crank i guess so they could hide the fact that they were lying about the quarter mile and 0-60 times, the only reason the gtr isn't going slower than four and a half seconds in 0-60 is because of the awd
TJComer02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz25 View Post
Ok, not to insult any vette guys here (truly not my intention) but… who cares about a corvette? When was the last time you drooled over a vette driving by. Granted, it’s a great performer for a fraction of $$$ vs. most European exotics. However, because of it, I’m sure about 6 of them will drive by your house by the time you are done reading this. Every person building a GTM or thinking of doing so is a certifiable car nut. So lets not kid ourselves, besides performance, we are also looking for that “car envy attention” only few cars can bring. In my previous post I mentioned my reasons for getting one, as unreasonable as they may seem to some, they make perfect sense to me. Fact is…what you get in terms of performance, looks, exclusivity, a GTM is a heck of deal.
With that said... if you feel a vette, GTR or a supercharged toaster for that matter that makes sense to you, this is what you should get.
Tazz said it well. Cheers, Roger
Old 12-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #104 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Yeah !
stop with the vet crap
Cool for the weekend golfer , but for the builder / racer the GTM is friggin awesome
This is the FFR forum
If I had the money to spend ,I sure wouldn't give it to the UAW
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 08:03 PM   #105 (permalink)

Holy Dead Thread Resurrection Batman! this one dates back to 2005!!
Kelster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 08:50 PM   #106 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

rofl. This thread cracks me up.

Why does one even need to ask why someone would build a GTM vs. buying a new vette? The answers are kind of obvious...
Completed (for now): GTM #232 w/ Stroked LS2 408 making 624hp/572ft-lb, G50/52 trans, Kooks exhaust, Push-button start, RaceLogic Traction Control

Build Log: http://www.gtm-supercar.com
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/gtmbuildlog
spytech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 10:05 PM   #107 (permalink)
Banned

I have the solution. --- If you must have a new Vette, go down to the local dealer, buy a new Zo6, (they are hurting, should get a great deal). Drive home to the garage, set up on jack stands, & start stripping parts, most are same as C5. then you'll have the best of both worlds, awesome GTM w/ new Zo6 drivetrain! That be cool!
Ted
LS MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2009, 04:23 AM   #108 (permalink)
RI... (resident idiot)

I believe this is somewhat of an incomprable apples vs. oranges situation. Firstly, the types of cars being compared here are simply not on a level field. Practicallity wise, a car thats easy to get into, has a trunk and a warranty is obviously more practical but that is what the corvette is made for. A lot of very smart people in very nice clothes with very big brains sat down together and said, "We need to sell ALOT of these, how can we can make this car apply to as many peoples lives as possible and still be cool?" As far as the Corvette, GTR or anything similar goes I believe they accomplish their intended purpose nicely. Good looking, fast, and comfy. Minus hundreds of hours, sweat grease and likely a little blood. The GTM is an entirely different animal, and without reitterating things other people have already stated. If you have to justify one. That may already be a sign that it is not for you.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/imag...tte_zr1_33.jpg

http://www.factoryfive.com/gtm/galle...s/DSC_0027.jpg

No doubt they are both good looking, but for pure "exoticness", the GTM would definitely have my vote, especially in the form Mr. Cheney has interpreted it in. ( Gorgeous BTW)

Also issues have been raised about the interior quality of the GTM being sub par. And I am surprised there has not been more disscusion on the possibility of custom shop work being done on it. Expensive yes, but an interior built by those fellas would easily blow anything by GM away.

Being a 20 year old sports car fanatic/annoyer-of-friends-with-car-ology. The GTM had me at hel--- erm first... drool.

Living for Christ, and proud of it!
Firefox2551 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #109 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

This has been discussed to death. If you are trying to decide between a Corvette and building a GTM, then you will definitely be happier with the Corvette, period. I was thinking about building a Cobra, and then a Daytona Coupe. When FFR said that the GTM kit was going into production for about $20K, that was it. I never even had one single thought about comparing this to the purchase of another car.
GTM Chassis #26
Stock LS-6. PHII G50-50, Shane's Louvers, Nordskog Dash, Shaved Door Handles,
Rear View Camera, David Borden's Aluminum Dash Cover for Nordskog,
Rollbar Covers -- http://quickracingproducts.com/html/interior.html
Dash
Mike

GTM Build Pics: http://www.gtmbuild.com/galleries/mikes_build/index.htm
mdowns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement