Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Windshield placement/fitment

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jawerner 
#1 ·
So whats the trick to fitting the windshield in on a gen 2? Needless to say my fitment sucks. Are people sanding down the laminated windshield or reshaping the body? Or both?

#3 ·
I left the windshield alone. Figured if I ever had to replace it, I could just order one and drop it in. The A pillars had to be reshaped quite a bit. Make sure the body is on the car when doing the final shaping of the windshield opening because unless you use a body buck, the fiberglass will distort. I left a 1/8" gap all the way around.

#4 ·
The problem i found is that the offset on the body for the windshield is not even,especially on the door post area not to mention the boids on the gel coat.
I set the windshield in place and marked all the hi and low spots and glassed the low spots to get an even lip all the way around and evened the gap all the way around before the bodywork and paint. The same needs to be done with the rear hatch opening to a greater extend.

Attachments

#5 ·
Yeah my windshield grabs the bottom too soon where I cant push it to the top leaving over a 1/4" gap on top. Thinking I will have to sand it out. I had to sand out so much for the rear, I sanded a hole through the body. Didn't know if this was an issue for anyone else.

#6 ·
In areas I knew I would be sanding a lot, I would apply fiberglass to the back side and let it cure before I stared to sand, that way I would never sand a hole.

#7 · (Edited)
haha yeah I got a little impatient and aggravated about the rear window, and figured I would fix it later. Part of it was also Factory Five told me to just sand the excess saying they leave enough extra there and never have a problem with the window being too big and acted like I was full of it when I told them I would have to sand a hole through the body fitting their window the way they said to. Figured it would be a good picture for them if I wanted to send them one. Was hoping I wouldn't have this too tight issue for the front but it's looking like I will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.