SLC vs GTM bodywork hours - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
GTM Forum sponsored by Mendeola Powertrain
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing GTM Supercar > Factory Five GTM Forum
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

SLC vs GTM bodywork hours

What do you think the bodywork difference is between an SLC and a GTM. I have watched fastthings YouTube videos like 20 times and as a body person spent a full 6 months on bodywork. Is the SLC that much easier?

Bob Leach
CRAZYBOBDS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

from what i've heard there is alot of difference.
carbon fiber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

If by bodywork you mean fiberglassing, or using body filler to correct fitment issues, there is essentially none. Many SLC owners just buff out the gelcoat and go with that- in most cases there is no need to do any "bodywork" per se at all. That's what the #01 race car sports- just the factory gelcoat finish.

You do have to cut scoop openings, etc, and hang the doors. But I've seen plenty of SLCs with just a gelcoat finish and no bodywork at all.
BoostAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

So you can just buff the gelcoat? Fit and finish will be good? There are no seams? all the panels and windows will fit? I understand you have to hang the doors but with the GTM it took fastthings like a month to get them right. And he was doing things I would not even attempt to do. So they will hang pretty much correct as supplied? Thanks.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYBOBDS View Post
So you can just buff the gelcoat? Fit and finish will be good? There are no seams? all the panels and windows will fit? I understand you have to hang the doors but with the GTM it took fastthings like a month to get them right. And he was doing things I would not even attempt to do. So they will hang pretty much correct as supplied? Thanks.
Yeah, a lot of the SLCs- especially track-focused cars- don't bother with paint. As with all molded bodies, there are parting lines where the mold pieces joined. These can be taken down with successively fine sandpaper, followed optionally by a buffing to get a really nice shine.

Plenty of people that have seen the factory race car have wondered whether it was painted. Most can't believe that it came out of the mold that way.

Come out to the NASA National Championships this year at Mid Ohio in September and you can see the factory race car up close and verify for yourself that the doors and surrounds are as-molded, with no bodywork. We'll be busy defending our national championship in Super Unlimited, but there is always time to check out the car and talk with the crew.

As some will no doubt point out, there is a price differential between the two kits. The bodies, and their quality, are part of that difference.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Having completed GTMs and SL-Cs (and loving both) there is no comparison.

All the body parts fit beautifully from the factory on the SL-C without modification. The gel coat could be buffed and it's good to go on the SL-C. Or with a 220 grit cut back of the gel coat, 3 coats of featherfil then prep sanded, the body is ready for a show car paint job.

For example, it took me 12 hours first time I tried to get the SL-C doors to fit properly with all the hinges, handles, windows and latches installed. The passenger door alone on the GTM will take over 40 hours.

A fully completed driving down the road SL-C with a great paint job will take under 400 hours. Body work alone on the GTM will be over double that time.
AllanFFR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Quote:
There are release lines that get taken to flush and buffed if the car is going to stay in the gel coat.

The doors? The door window does not go up/down. So 95% of the GTM Door issues are not encountered. Hanging the doors is simple. Its everything that follows (in order to get a fully functioning door/window) that is time consuming.

CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
http://gtmbuild.weebly.com .
VD2021 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
There are release lines that get taken to flush and buffed if the car is going to stay in the gel coat.

The doors? The door window does not go up/down. So 95% of the GTM Door issues are not encountered. Hanging the doors is simple. Its everything that follows (in order to get a fully functioning door/window) that is time consuming.
That's why I bypassed the door windows on my newest KONI GTM. Doors were a piece of cake without dealing with operational glass.
fact5racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Stacy David is building an slc on Gearz, looks real simple and good to work with. Try to find some of the past vehicles.
pelzerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
What do you think the bodywork difference is between an SLC and a GTM. I have watched fastthings YouTube videos like 20 times and as a body person spent a full 6 months on bodywork. Is the SLC that much easier?

Bob Leach
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelzerd View Post
Stacy David is building an slc on Gearz, looks real simple and good to work with. Try to find some of the past vehicles.
Yes Stacy David is building an SLC, with all of the advantages of working directly with Fran, and all of the suppliers that he has access to, it’s even taking him a while to build it.

After he installed the engine and transaxle, fitted most of the body to the chassis, haven’t seen any more progress on it for a couple of months now. Last night was a new episode, and he showcased a fire truck build and I didn’t see the SLC in the background .

Not slamming, jamming, dissing, talking about anyone’s Mother/Father here, all I’m saying is that both cars are great builds, each one has its own problems to solve and overcome.

Both take time to do it right, and both IMHO, are not a walk in the park, and smell the flowers while you’re in the park type of build. (Translation: They’re both very challenging, and one is not as easy to build over the other one, that most people like to make you believe it is)

But when you’re done with building the GTM or SLC, you’ll have a car that most people can only dream about and not enjoy, and of course you’ll have the bragging rights to the question, Where did you buy it?

“Not a sermon just a thought”

Ron
Old 07-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Now now Presto.....dont start ...wink.

Staceys car was filmed many months ago....he doesn't film a new show every week you know....wink.

The next round of new shows should start airing soon.

As delivered this last weekend with an LS9....no bodywork has been done on this car, customer paid for us to hang the doors and cut the holes out. though... Yos' SLC Build Thread - GT40s.com

You are right that both cars stop traffic and draw crowds that for sure....

Last edited by gt40fran; 07-09-2012 at 04:02 PM..
gt40fran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

Quote:
(Translation: They’re both very challenging, and one is not as easy to build over the other one, that most people like to make you believe it is)
One person who has built both cars- several of each, IIRC - has a different opinion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanFFR View Post
Having completed GTMs and SL-Cs (and loving both) there is no comparison.

A fully completed driving down the road SL-C with a great paint job will take under 400 hours. Body work alone on the GTM will be over double that time.
It's very clear that the SLC is faster to build, and by a considerable amount. It's still a car, of course, not a Lego set, so there is real work to be done. But Allan's experience with several examples of both cars is pretty telling. I think he originally built his blue SLC in under 250 hours, including paint and interior.

What is the shortest time a GTM with interior and paint was finished?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Fire I Thought It Would Hot In Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostAddiction View Post
One person who has built both cars- several of each, IIRC - has a different opinion:

It's very clear that the SLC is faster to build, and by a considerable amount. It's still a car, of course, not a Lego set, so there is real work to be done. But Allan's experience with several examples of both cars is pretty telling. I think he originally built his blue SLC in under 250 hours, including paint and interior.

What is the shortest time a GTM with interior and paint was finished?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40fran View Post
Now now Presto.....dont start ...wink.

Staceys car was filmed many months ago....he doesn't film a new show every week you know....wink.

The next round of new shows should start airing soon.

As delivered this last weekend....no bodywork has been done on this car, customer paid for us to hang the doors and cut the holes out. though... Yos' SLC Build Thread - GT40s.com

You are right that both cars stop traffic and draw crowds that for sure....
Hi Fran,

Been a long time since you were here posting in your favorite spot, and I thought that comment might get you out and about, and for a minute I was channeling one of your most favorite forum buds, (not that I would fan the flames on this old subject)

To keep it fun, the SLC and the GTM’s are awesome cars.

A bit of difference between them is that one is like the Playboy’s Playmate of the Month, you know the girl next door, and the other is the Penthouse Pet of the Month, the girl you wished lived next door. I’ll let you decide which one is which

And Boost your so right these cars are not like Lego's and you have to build them, I just don't want that message to get lost.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

It's true that the slc is easier and faster to build is designed to be a race car, and even there are a lot of similarities between the two cars they are completely different builds.

The Stacey David build is a time laps advertisement for slc, gm and all the other components that he is using and cost is not a factor. For the $44,000 dollar cost of the basic kit you can get a GTM with A/C wheels and tires a good donor car and transaxle.

The Gearz slc interior and doors are very basic more of a track car, fixed seats and windows. The body fits good it looks to have better fit and finish. Over all a faster and easier build and probably at least a $100,000.

In the other hand the there are many gtm's out there over a $100,000 but most have custom bodys and doors with fully functional interiors,A/C,power windows,P/S,power mirrors,sound systems,and so on,and as far as engines and trans there are some pretty wild set ups out there.

No two gtm's are the same and all reflect their owner/ builders taste. In my case I've spent countless hours modifying and adapting most of the corvette systems since I am building a street car with all the amenities of a luxury supercar. Originaly I was going for a 6 month build but it's looking more like 10 to 12 month but with all the lessons learn in this build I could probably build an other one in half the time. As far as budget goes it will be around $55,000 give or take a few thousand.

Last edited by mikespms; 07-10-2012 at 04:58 AM..
mikespms is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

AC and wheels are part of the kit with an SL-C ....we also offer full interiors even full carbon..but we digress.....This is a bodywork thread though so lets keep it on track....
gt40fran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40fran View Post
AC and wheels are part of the kit with an SL-C ....we also offer full interiors even full carbon..but we digress.....This is a bodywork thread though so lets keep it on track....

The point i am trying to make is most gtm builders spend countless hours on body work but just about every gtm is customized to their owner taste and no two cars are the same and the basic kit is more than half of the slc price.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Thanks for the input guys... I think I have watched Fastthings videos at least 5 times now straight through.. I keep thinking "well maybe if he didnt add that scoop, and the fender vents, and change the tail lights, and the carbon fiber, and etc it would be faster... But he knows what he is doing and I have only done bodywork on my motorcycle and it came out allright but not perfect or even close to. That was a rather small undertaking to.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikespms View Post
The Gearz slc interior and doors are very basic more of a track car, fixed seats and windows. The body fits good it looks to have better fit and finish. Over all a faster and easier build and probably at least a $100,000.
With every part brand new the SLC can easily be built for under $75K. Mine was well under that with a LS376, Ricardo 6 speed, custom interior, traction control and ram lift.
AllanFFR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

It all comes down to how much you have to spend on your build and how much of the fabrication and body work you can do yourself.

I like the semi- monocoque chasis and suspension on the slc don't like the windows. According to slc web site the kit is $50,000 and discounted to $44,000 if you buy all the components at one time not including upgrades. If you have $75,000 + and don't mind the non fictional windows is a great car easy to build.

For the guys like me, with a limited budget and enjoy fabricating, modifying and can do the body and paint the gtm is the car.

The original topic was body work and most of the work is on fitting the doors and getting the windows to seal and work properly also fitting the hatch and glass, if you can do the rough work you should be able to find a good body shop to block and finish and paint your car at a resonable price.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

All I know is...the SLC even has body ALIGNMENT pins that actually line up first try...that's how good it is. Fran's the man.

Fact is though, if you really get serious about budget and you have the time to play with it...the GTM is damn cheap. The thing that I think happens with GTM's...the cost that is hard to calculate is the nickel and diming. Also, it's the price of space as the car sits and takes so long to complete, the toll it takes on a person sometimes to finish such a big project.

I really think the SLC and GTM are on two different levels without question but...both have their customer base and serve a need without a doubt.
rc000e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc000e View Post
All I know is...the SLC even has body ALIGNMENT pins that actually line up first try...that's how good it is. Fran's the man.

Fact is though, if you really get serious about budget and you have the time to play with it...the GTM is damn cheap. The thing that I think happens with GTM's...the cost that is hard to calculate is the nickel and diming. Also, it's the price of space as the car sits and takes so long to complete, the toll it takes on a person sometimes to finish such a big project.

I really think the SLC and GTM are on two different levels without question but...both have their customer base and serve a need without a doubt.
Though I subbed out the bodywork, my gold GTM was built in less than 100 days for SEMA. That's me working on it just nights and weekends
fact5racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #22 (permalink)

I think the bodywork is pretty much revered as the time consuming part of the build though. The body quality, alignment and fitment is really the downside of the gtm, in my opinion...though the kit is incredibly affordable. Sure there are chassis quirks and things you can nitpick but the body work is the part I think many people underestimate as well as not budget for.

BTW, I used your cars pictures as the basis for my digital renderings for body remolding/reshaping...hehe. Thnx...
rc000e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement