Ideas? Mendeola to FFR GTM rear transaxle mount - Page 2 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
GTM Forum sponsored by Mendeola Powertrain
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing GTM Supercar > Factory Five GTM Forum
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #31 (permalink)

Ray please read the list of paid advertisers before you post. They are a paid advertiser. For some reason the vendor stars are not on the avatar. Cheers Richard.

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.
Richard Oben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
craftsman
FFCars Master Craftsman

Ray,
they are the fifth from the top in "venders". Please delete your post and call it an honest mistake. thanks, Richard
Richard Migliori is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #33 (permalink)
www.myraceshop.com

Maybe Ray was a bit tired? Look at that post time..........1:37 AM!!

Richard Os is almost as bad.

Man, and I thought I got up early.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #34 (permalink)

I got two emails about this from people who do not regularly check this forum. So please check before you post. Crash, I have been an early riser 5:30 or so for ever. Bad habit since wife likes to sleep in LOL. cheers Richard.

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.
Richard Oben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #35 (permalink)

Hmmm...

Being a car gadget guy, and after sitting in a GTM at FFR, the idea of a paddle shifter setup for this car is getting higher on my "gadget-o-meter". Also, I like the fact that there is another turnkey transmission option (this is key for a builder like me who just wants to install the tranmission and not be too bothered piecing everything together myself), with similar pricing as the current turnkey options available. But I had a few questions regarding this new transmission option and the Mastershift kit...

1. Where is the electro-mechanical interface of the Mastershift kit installed (i.e. the part that actually moves the cables to shift the gears)? Is it the same location as the stock shifter?

2. Is there still room to install the Mastershift "Bump Shifter" in the stock shifter location if desired (for those who still like the feel of a "stick" while driving)?

3. How quickly does the Mastershift unit actually shift the gears in the GTM specific application with this transmission (or the Porsche units for that matter since they are similar)? Is it faster than an average human can shift with a standard manual transmission (i.e. like the BMW SMG II and III systems on M3s and M5s) or is it just as slow (1-2 secs per shift) as a basic automatic transmission with a shifter button (like my wife's BMW X3 SUV with automatic transmission and "sport shift" mode)?
jmciver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #36 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Hmmm...

Being a car gadget guy, and after sitting in a GTM at FFR, the idea of a paddle shifter setup for this car is getting higher on my "gadget-o-meter". Also, I like the fact that there is another turnkey transmission option (this is key for a builder like me who just wants to install the tranmission and not be too bothered piecing everything together myself), with similar pricing as the current turnkey options available. But I had a few questions regarding this new transmission option and the Mastershift kit...

1. Where is the electro-mechanical interface of the Mastershift kit installed (i.e. the part that actually moves the cables to shift the gears)? Is it the same location as the stock shifter?

2. Is there still room to install the Mastershift "Bump Shifter" in the stock shifter location if desired (for those who still like the feel of a "stick" while driving)?

3. How quickly does the Mastershift unit actually shift the gears in the GTM specific application with this transmission (or the Porsche units for that matter since they are similar)? Is it faster than an average human can shift with a standard manual transmission (i.e. like the BMW SMG II and III systems on M3s and M5s) or is it just as slow (1-2 secs per shift) as a basic automatic transmission with a shifter button (like my wife's BMW X3 SUV with automatic transmission and "sport shift" mode)?

From what I have seen, the Mastershift box is mounted to the splash guard behing the left rear wheel (with some additional bracing?). I think that the "Bump Shifter" would fit just fine in the standard shifter location since nothing from the Mastershift system goes in that location. I don't know how fast the Mastershift mechanicals actually change gears, but I hope that you don't think that these systems actually engage/disengage the clutch and blip the throttle, etc when you bump the shifter. You still have to work the clutch and throttle all the Mastershift box does is replace your hand on the shifter.
GTM Chassis #26
Stock LS-6. PHII G50-50, Shane's Louvers, Nordskog Dash, Shaved Door Handles,
Rear View Camera, David Borden's Aluminum Dash Cover for Nordskog,
Rollbar Covers -- http://quickracingproducts.com/html/interior.html
Dash
Mike

GTM Build Pics: http://www.gtmbuild.com/galleries/mikes_build/index.htm
mdowns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdowns View Post
From what I have seen, the Mastershift box is mounted to the splash guard behing the left rear wheel (with some additional bracing?). I think that the "Bump Shifter" would fit just fine in the standard shifter location since nothing from the Mastershift system goes in that location. I don't know how fast the Mastershift mechanicals actually change gears, but I hope that you don't think that these systems actually engage/disengage the clutch and blip the throttle, etc when you bump the shifter. You still have to work the clutch and throttle all the Mastershift box does is replace your hand on the shifter.
Yeah, I went to Mastershift's site and read up on the system so I know that the clutch is still required. But I am still curious to know just how fast the gears shift.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:04 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmmm...

Being a car gadget guy, and after sitting in a GTM at FFR, the idea of a paddle shifter setup for this car is getting higher on my "gadget-o-meter". Also, I like the fact that there is another turnkey transmission option (this is key for a builder like me who just wants to install the tranmission and not be too bothered piecing everything together myself),This is the idea we are implementing with are powertrain portion of our bussines. with similar pricing as the current turnkey options available. But I had a few questions regarding this new transmission option and the Mastershift kit...

1. Where is the electro-mechanical interface of the Mastershift kit installed (i.e. the part that actually moves the cables to shift the gears)? Is it the same location as the stock shifter? The electro-mechanical interface is in a 10"x10"x 4 3/8" box and can be mounted where ever the car has room, granted the shorter the cables the better.

2. Is there still room to install the Mastershift "Bump Shifter" in the stock shifter location if desired (for those who still like the feel of a "stick" while driving)? Yes, it is tide in to the box electronically just plug in.

The Mastershift can shift the transmission in 1/4 of a second. It is highly advanced that it can be tide into pulse style tachometer, or ecu and programed with parameters to shift @ and not shift @.This allows the clutch to be used as a switch on down shift & up shift to initiate a skip a gear type of scenario,which does not make it sequential in pattern.
Thank you for your question.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #39 (permalink)
www.myraceshop.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendeola Transaxles View Post
It is highly advanced that it can be tide into pulse style tachometer, or ecu and programed with parameters to shift @ and not shift @.This allows the clutch to be used as a switch on down shift & up shift to initiate a skip a gear type of scenario,which does not make it sequential in pattern.

I don't think this statement is very clear. At least it isn't for me. What was meant to be said here is that say you want to down shift from 4th to 2nd for some reason. To do that you click the down paddle twice and then when you push in the clutch, the gearbox shift from 4th to 2nd.

Now I may not know the current configuration of the MS setup, but as I understood it, there actually was a barrel that was put in to make the H pattern box into a sequential box, and then the MS box controled when to rotate the drum, or barrel. So it actually still would be a sequential setup, but "the box" would rotate the drum very quickly two positions. Maybe somebody from MS or Mendeola can address that in more detail as things may have changed from the setup I have understood was used.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2009, 09:19 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
I don't think this statement is very clear. At least it isn't for me. What was meant to be said here is that say you want to down shift from 4th to 2nd for some reason. To do that you click the down paddle twice and then when you push in the clutch, the gearbox shift from 4th to 2nd.
Yes, crash that is what I was trying to explain-Thank you for that correction.

Now I may not know the current configuration of the MS setup, but as I understood it, there actually was a barrel that was put in to make the H pattern box into a sequential box, and then the MS box controled when to rotate the drum, or barrel. So it actually still would be a sequential setup, but "the box" would rotate the drum very quickly two positions. Maybe somebody from MS or Mendeola can address that in more detail as things may have changed from the setup I have understood was used.
This is not the case with the Mastershift. it is tho with the Hydraulic unit we had in the test car you saw on the dyno day. The MS has a electric motor that is told to push or pull and how many times to push or pull, so it is just doing what your hand would do if manually shifted.
Thank you for the response.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:51 AM   #41 (permalink)

I found this video on Youtube that shows how fast the Mastershift can go through the gears, pretty impressive. Granted the car is not running, but that should not really matter since the gears should shift just as fast with the engine running as long as the clutch is depressed at the right time while driving....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KCBZxPNKyw
Old 07-31-2009, 09:59 PM   #42 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

I would ask fact5racer about his experiences with mastershift before I spent my money on it. Thats lots of money for somthing that may be difficult to implement.
bobzffr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #43 (permalink)

I am not completely sold on the Mastershift paddle shifter system either, particularly since you still have to use your left foot for clutch movement when using the paddles/buttons to shift the gears. However, it seems that Mendola is making the electro-mechanical implementation part significantly easier with their transmission (Mastershift makes an adapter designed for the Mendola SDR transmission according to their site), which IMO is over half the battle.

All that being said, I would still like to hear input from those who have actually driven a car (especially a GTM) using the Mastershift system. My guess is that even with your foot still having to do the clutch work (unlike OEM systems like SMG from BMW or Titronic from Porsche where everything is automatic), you will still be able to shift faster and more efficiently than a traditional manual transmission after you get used to the Mastershift system.

However, I think for many of us who have only driven traditional manual transmissions, you will have to get over the "can't teach an old dog new tricks" syndrome in order to take full advantage of this modification .

Last edited by jmciver; 08-01-2009 at 07:50 PM..
Old 08-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #44 (permalink)

Here is the Mendeola to FFR GTM rear transaxle mount.
1) fits in stock FFR GTM location
2) uses Urethane mounting bushings
3) optional supplied parts for making removable X brace (cutting & welding required)
4) modification to diffuser needed

Last edited by Mendeola Transaxles; 08-04-2009 at 03:29 PM..
Mendeola Transaxles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #45 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendeola Transaxles View Post
Here is the Mendeola to FFR GTM rear transaxle mount.
1) fits in stock FFR GTM location
2) uses Urethane mounting bushings
3) optional supplied parts for making removable X brace (cutting & welding required)
4) modification to diffuser needed
Very Nice!!!

David
David Borden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 12:36 AM   #46 (permalink)

Looks good! But a few more questions....

1. What would be the need for having a removable cross x brace? Is it that much of a PITA to install it without cutting the frame?

2. Do you have any pics of the modification required for the diffuser? Either on or off the car (the diffuser)?
Old 08-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Looks good! But a few more questions....

1. What would be the need for having a removable cross x brace? Is it that much of a PITA to install it without cutting the frame?
The idea of the removable "X" brace is so you can work on the clutch or remove gearbox or engine without tearing the back end of the car apart. For ease of service.
2. Do you have any pics of the modification required for the diffuser? Either on or off the car (the diffuser)?
We are not sure of the diffuser mod till we get the back end of are test car done. This is due to the diffuser is more of a structural member of the rear of the car then an actual diffuser.The ideas as of now are a pod such as a F430.Other ideas we are working on is tow hook placement & oil drain/ inspection hole.
Thank you for the question.
Suggestions & Ideas are welcome.

Last edited by Mendeola Transaxles; 10-01-2009 at 11:57 PM..
Mendeola Transaxles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement