New 6 speed Transaxle in a GTM - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
GTM Forum sponsored by Mendeola Powertrain
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing GTM Supercar > Factory Five GTM Forum
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2007, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
FFRGTM#024

New 6 speed Transaxle in a GTM

Well after much delay I am back to working on my GTM. Although I was one of the first (chassis 24) to take ownership of my car, my lack of pulling the trigger on a transaxle, and my attempt to work with Quaife on the Qtek has cost me dearly. BUT, that said I am going to try a new, as of yet unproven, solution. Here are a few teaser pictures. The rear subframe, and "X" brace need to be modified slightly. The half shafts line up perfectly. If all goes well there will be a vendor who provides a kit and tansaxle similar to, but not exact as the one pictured. I am sure you guys can guess where this one came from....

Look for my LS7 to be bolted up to the front of this in the next few weeks. I'll keep you posted of the progress.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Starter??

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.
Richard Oben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
FFRGTM#024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Oben View Post
Starter??
On the bottom....pass side.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

Question

OK - so what is this transaxle from?
cob427sc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

so for the benefit of those of us who are not so worldly ... where DOES it come from?
Slopoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007, 09:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

... and is it sequential and how much does it cost? so many questions ... can it stand up to 750+ hp consistently? ... I can hardly stand the suspense
Slopoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

I got it! Ford GT. How much did you get it for?
Brian Apple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

http://www.brownbrosparts.com/product/60538/60654
wildolive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 01:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Charter Member

Smile

Alright. I am impressed. If anyone wants a nice G50 I'll trade you for the Ford GT tranny. Seems fair right? Or you can just give me the money for one? You'll have a good warm fuzzy feeling for helping out a nice 20 year old kid.

Serriously though. Thats really cool. I can't wait to see/hear more about it.
cford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 03:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Craftsman

Wow, I commend you for exploring new options, You have alot of work ahead of you (with this and the build). All said and done, this will be a pretty major investment with the cost of the ford tranny, Having to get half shafts made with ford flange's-starter- clutch- pilot bearing adaptor and a cable shifter set up. Best of luck, I'll be interested to see how it turns out.
samurai41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 04:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

I think Fran over at RCR is selling those trannies now, for use in his mid-engine applications. You guys might want to check with him about bulk buying opportunities -- if he orders a few at a time, I bet he'd pass along some of the price break.

Cheers, John
1997 Mazda Miata - beater donor for undetermined future project
2001 VW Jetta TDI, once intended as G3F donor, FOR SALE
dukegrad98 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 11:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bspeed View Post
The half shafts line up perfectly.
Could you elaborate? If I am not mistaken, the input shaft of the Ricardo/Ford GT transaxle is below the output halfshafts, whereas the flipped Porsche transaxle input shaft is above. That means that you will have to substantially modify either the vertical position of the engine or the halfshaft angle or both. Are you just saying that the fore-and-aft distance from the engine face to the halfshafts looks about right, or have you actually worked out more of the geometry?
MarkH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
FFRGTM#024

Hey guys....yes this will be an interesting project, but don't get too excited about it yet as a replacement for a G50. It is going to be as expensive as a built up CMS 50/52 or G96. In addition you will have to be willing to do a significant amount of cutting and welding. The benefit is you get something that is probably unbreakable, an LSD, pump/cooler, cable shift and pretty darn good gearing for our application. The down side is they are hard to find, expensive, and require a lot of modification to the chassis.

Fran, of RCR, is the one who is going to help me go through this exercise. It's not at the top of his list of things to do because he is very busy keeping his business running. Please don't inundate him with phone calls about it! He is a great guy and would like to see if he can help us GTM owners out, and possibly help provide parts for the solution in the future. We'll keep track of the costs and try to find the easiest way to make this solution work. I hope we'll have something by Christmas, but it depends upon a lot of things lining up.

There is already an adapter plate, fly wheel, starter, and clutch solution. The half shafts will need to be custom made as will a mount for the transaxle.

As for the location of the half shafts they line up surprisingly well when we dry fit the transmission, both in the vertical and longitudinal direction. I should also note that this will work with the Kooks system, though I haven’t fit the standard FFR exhaust yet. We intend to try both. The half shafts will be shorter than with a G50 but still longer than the LCA, and the angles appear to be reasonable. In fact it looks as if they will clear the rear shocks better than the Porsche box because they will be a bit further back. The transaxle actually needs to go back another 2-2.5” from where it is shown in the pictures.

I should note that this thing looks like it came out of a CAT earth mover when compared to a small G50. It probably weighs 40lbs more.

Last edited by Bspeed; 11-14-2007 at 06:39 PM..
Bspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007, 11:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Slacker Extraordinaire
FFCars Master Craftsman

Strong work. I hate to say this but KarKraft, a forum vendor, is selling a gt transaxle for $7900

http://www.karkraft.com/transmissions.htm

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?
Hozr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2007, 12:53 AM   #15 (permalink)

another new 6 speed transaxle

What is that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SR756S2.jpg (11.1 KB, 175 views)
Old 11-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozr View Post
Strong work. I hate to say this but KarKraft, a forum vendor, is selling a gt transaxle for $7900

http://www.karkraft.com/transmissions.htm
Now that is a good deal versus finding a wrecked 911 for one.

torquehappens (unless you drive a Honda)

Performance -- 0 - 60 (6.55) 1/4 Mile Time(15.11@97)
Sir Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX1 View Post
What is that?
It is one of the T750 or T900 (can't tell which) transaxles that you design, build, and sell, Wanni. Drop the price significantly and become a corporate sponsor of this forum and you might successfully market your product here.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hi Guys,

Ford GT transaxle are difficult to find used...if not impossible.

Our goal is to be able to offer as close to a bolt in solution for GTM owners as possible.
It will require some tubes be removed but a bolt in replacement component will replace it.

We have made the adpater plates and can mount the transaxle to any LSx Series engine....

Any thoughts or questions or suggestions would be highly appreciated for what you would like to see in your car....

We are also working with Louis from Mastershift on the paddle system specifically for the GT unit...

There needs to be a transaxle of merit available to anyone wanting a new OEM tested NEW component...at an affordable price.
My interest is the transaxle and its merits...the GTM is another car deserving of a unit like the GT....

My RCR Superlite Coupe is another car set to use the GT unit..hence my primary interest in the transaxle and its merits..

I am not selling transaxles just trying to establish a raport and see what kind of response/interest you guys may have.

Thanks

Last edited by RCR Fran Hall; 11-16-2007 at 05:22 PM..
RCR Fran Hall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2007, 05:19 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR Fran Hall View Post
Our goal is to be able to offer as close to a bolt in solution for GTM owners s possible.
So how close are you to reaching that goal? Have you actually fit the Ricardo box into a completed GTM or otherwise gone significantly beyond the eyeballing fitment stage? My eyeball tells me that the Ricardo pictured above extends significantly further aft than the Porsche transaxles....
Old 11-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

Mark,

if you read Dan's post he outlines what we have done so far.

Once Dan brings his car back(after Thanksgiving) we will be removing and replacing material on the chassis.

The transaxle is actually shorter than a G50 with the shift shaft fully extended.However the GT transaxle is significantly larger in girth along it whole length...this is not going to be an issue.

Having spent time with the GTM and the chassis, I see no large hurdles at all.

I have a batch of transaxles arriving tomorrow(all sold unfortunately) ..and they will be fitted to LS7 engines for the SL-C.
RCR Fran Hall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2007, 06:20 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
It is one of the T750 or T900 (can't tell which) transaxles that you design, build, and sell, Wanni. Drop the price significantly and become a corporate sponsor of this forum and you might successfully market your product here.
Well done Mark,
Sherlock Holmes is nobody compare to you.
Do not worry, I do not want to sell and advertise because I cannot drop down the price. It was just a try to see my popularity. As you have certainly appreciated, the immage was anonimous and extremely small just to avoid troubles.
Anyway, the point is that It is not expensive, the change rate makes it expensive.
Ciao
and all the best
Wanni
Old 08-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #22 (permalink)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06...=1218456318887
Ketzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
craftsman
FFCars Master Craftsman

If need be for testing the gear box under extreme conditions, (racing) I'm more than happy to take the time and effort to do so. I am within 2.5 hours away from three road course, Lugna Seca, Sears Point, and Thunder Hill. My GTM is NASA and SCCA approved, the only one.

Always glad to help forum members.

RM
Richard Migliori is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
Jack of all trades - expert at nothing
FFCars Captain

Garage
Does this mean the use of Ford block just became viable??

With some new headers....
The "last" Spyder picked up (for now).#0039GT. And a '70 Cougar 351C needing attention.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
FFRGTM#024

Nope I dont think a Ford engine is any more viable with a GT trans. If you can pick up that new ebay one for $12k that is an awesome price. I paid significantly more. Keep in mind you still need a $500 starter, $1900 clutch, plus an adapter plate, custom fly wheel, custom half shafts, custom shifter cable, and a shifter box. Oh and the mods to your frame to make the whole thing work.... Plan on $20k by the time it is said and done...
Old 08-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #26 (permalink)
Jack of all trades - expert at nothing
FFCars Captain

Garage
burst my bubble....
The "last" Spyder picked up (for now).#0039GT. And a '70 Cougar 351C needing attention.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
FFRGTM#024

Sorry....why put a ford in there when this looks so good...

Old 08-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #28 (permalink)

So one question

I have heard a great deal of good about the Ricardo transaxle in relationship to it's HP and Torque capabilities. But lets face it, sooner or later it is going to break and need to be rebuilt.

Has anyone given any thought to where you are going to have to send it for that to happen? How much support for these transaxles is there really here in the US?

I like the idea of a good solid gearbox that will be able to withstand the pounding and heat of say endurance racing. I am simply concerned that it is going to be very cost prohibitive in the long run. And the short run too for most.

$12 to 14 or 15K is a lot of money to spend, then given the updates you will have to do and the lack of parts, I am not sure that this is going to be the solution. Then again, I am not sure that it is not going to be the solution either, just a bit sceptical at this point. Fran is a great person to work with, I know this from experience. I look forward to seeing what he can put together, and whether or not this is going to be cost effective.

I would be curious to know what the reliablity of this option truly is, as well as cost regarding maintenance and rebuild cost.

Just my 02 cents on this one, and probably a bit biased as I am sort of a competing vendor of sorts. When it is all said and done though I really just want to see the best products going into your projects, for the best price.

Happy Building all,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
(720) 980-9407 cell
Erik @ Carquip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #29 (permalink)
FFRGTM#024

Should I ever have to opportunity to wear this unit it out.....I would happily buy another. Somehow I doubt I will be able to put that many miles on it!
Old 08-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #30 (permalink)
Still Wishing
FFCars Craftsman

How much more does the Ford GT Trans-axle weight vs the G50?
nsh9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement