PBR Brakes vs. Cobra brakes - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > FFCars.com Library > 2003 Roadster Archives - Read Only
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2003, 03:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Question

I found a set of PBR brakes in good shape w/rotors and pads for $150. How do these compare to the 13 in Cobra brakes which run around $400 for the set? I've heard the PBR brakes are pretty good and I'm looking to save some cash here now that I've decided to go IRS, Tremec, 351W (need I go on?).

I can upgrade the brakes later but at the same time I don't want to have crappy brakes that feel like the car won't stop. If this setup is no good I'd rather put the $150 towards the right thing from the start. What do you guys think? Thanks as always.
J_B
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2003, 06:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
FFR Cobra Fan

They should be OK. I'm going with stock brakes at first, but plan to upgrade to the Wilwood system later. I got too many extras as well!
Good luck!
wedekinj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2003, 07:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

I think they're the same. PBR makes the Cobra calipers. The only difference between the two is that the Cobra caliper has the word "Cobra" cast into it. $150 isn't a bad price for a used setup. I think I'd prefer to spend the $400 and get new calipers, Brembo rotors, and flex hoses. Not to mention that cool "Cobra" cast onto the calipers.
Decy is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2003, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
FFCobra Master Craftsman
FFCars Master Craftsman

I have the PBR'S and love'em. They work very well and someday will be highly polished You can usually find them on ebay for $159.00 plus $40.00 for shipping. These will be takes offs with less than 20 miles on them. I have bought two sets this way. They came with loaded calipers,soft lines, and rotors.
Mike
ORANGE CRUSH is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2003, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

What does "PBR" mean?
Bob Lennon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2003, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Thanks once again guys. These are the loaded calipers with nearly new pads, rotors made for Ford by Brembo, and soft lines. Eventually I will probably upgrade to Cobra brakes all around with slotted/drilled rotors, but these seem like a good option for now. Plus with the Halibrands you can't see the Cobra brakes that well anyways.
J_B
Old 02-27-2003, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
FFCobra Master Craftsman
FFCars Master Craftsman

Just_Bitten
If your using 17 Hal/you will see the calipers fairly well
Mike
ORANGE CRUSH is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2003, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super 7 Addict
FFCars Craftsman

OT: are the willwoods lighter then the cobra brake set-up. Rotors and calipers

-Attention to details is how you attain greatness-
stgdz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2003, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

AJ - I haven't verified this but I've been told Wilwood calipers don't have dust seals on the pistons, making them a poor choice for long-term street use. Again, I haven't verified this.

FFR 3845, non-donor build, carbed 351W, Tri-State 4-into-4s, IRS, Tremec, burgundy w/ gold stripes and tan leather interior - titled, tagged and on the road!!!
fredzo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2003, 05:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Craftsman

Exclamation

A word of caution - the Wilwood calipers (both Dynalite and Superlite) will not work with 15" wheels or with any of the Halibrand copies.

You'll need to get custom machined Compomotives or Image wheels (the pads must be machined for proper hub to spoke spacing), or use Cobra R's or aftermarket wheels like the ROH Spyders.

I am now on my 3rd set of wheels (hopefully showing up very soon!) and haven't driven 10 feet yet. FYI - see the FAQ for details.
FFR Roadster #3440, No donor build. \'99 Cobra alum IRS with 3.55\'s, powered by Vortech SQ blown, 428 HP/444 ft-lb Levy Racing Stage 3 EFI 306, T5Z, CoolParts steering shaft, Wilwood 13\" front and 12\" rear brakes, SN95 front susp w/ FFR lowers, FR 15-1 rack, 17x9 and 10 Image wheels, Autometer Ultra gauges, Levy Racing Stage 2 suspension. Porsche Red with White Stripes, courtesy of SRP\'s fine work.
dbarrym is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2003, 06:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

O_C,
I know.. I was just trying to convince myself. After seeing the Cobra brakes with sloted/drilled rotors(they are truly beautiful) at LuisO's this is a paiful decision. However, I've upgraded so many of my other options I have to cut back somewhere and these brakes are still nice. Maybe I'll get them powdercoated as a compromise...
J_B
Old 02-27-2003, 08:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
FFCobra Master Craftsman
FFCars Captain

Bob PBR is a manufacturer who make the calipers for Ford. I have a set of the PBR dual pistons with cross drilled rotors I retrofitted on my tbird and as well as they stop a 3800Lb car they should be nothing short of stellar on a FFR

mn12 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2003, 12:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Thanks MN. I've been in this Cobra thing for about 6 or 7years now and there's still more to learn. Bob
Bob Lennon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2003, 01:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Craftsman

Icon21

Old 02-28-2003, 01:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Just to be clear. There are two PBR calipers. The regular mustang ones with 11 brakes and the Cobra version with the 13 inch brakes. The spindles are similar, 94-95 and 96 up. The calipers and rotors are different.

Again just to be clear, North Racecars worked with Team III to get a bolt on Halibrand wheel to clear the Cobra brakes. We are now selling them, see website below. PSE also sells a pin drive wheel that clears the Cobra brakes.

Barry up until a couple of weeks ago your statement about wheels was true. I know you are just trying to aviod others having problems like you did. Thanks for the input.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Cheers Richard.

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.
Richard Oben is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2003, 05:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Craftsman

Richard -

Will these new Team-3's work with the Wilwood (not PBR Cobra) calipers?

Thanks!
FFR Roadster #3440, No donor build. \'99 Cobra alum IRS with 3.55\'s, powered by Vortech SQ blown, 428 HP/444 ft-lb Levy Racing Stage 3 EFI 306, T5Z, CoolParts steering shaft, Wilwood 13\" front and 12\" rear brakes, SN95 front susp w/ FFR lowers, FR 15-1 rack, 17x9 and 10 Image wheels, Autometer Ultra gauges, Levy Racing Stage 2 suspension. Porsche Red with White Stripes, courtesy of SRP\'s fine work.
dbarrym is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement