Luk "Pro Gold Clutches" pro's/con's? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Competition > Drag Racing
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Captain

Luk "Pro Gold Clutches" pro's/con's?

Anyone have any experiance with "Luk" clutches for 5.0s or ?
Thanks in advance guys---
Butch
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2007, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry....can't say I've ever heard of that brand.

Best ET 10.44 @127 mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTE3Xi_FfkA
Qwik 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2007, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Captain

Brian,
I've never heard of "Luk" untill I went to Baxters(well known speed shops in the NW)& a guy from there recommended "Luk". I than called a another guy about upgrading my T-5 & he also recommended a street/strip "Luk" clutch set-up. I than went to "Luk" website & ck'ed out their info. Their website "info" kinda made sence to me, but,what do I know about clutches(very little!)? Maybe ck "Luk" out for yourself & see what you think?
Thanks
Butch
Old 12-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

I think they are a supplier for OEMs like Valeo and quite common here in Europe. I put one - not a Pro Gold model though - in my daily driver Audi A4 about 20k ago and it has been working fine. It's not exactely a high performance car though...
Old 12-21-2007, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
MJN

Butch.

Unless you get a good positive response here I would search the existing clutch threads and pick a set up that has been used successfully in an FFR before. Why reinvent the wheel so to speak? I am on my 3rd clutch because I didn't just spend the few extra bucks and buy the right clutch the first time.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Captain

Mike,
You are right about going with a winner, But, I just like to look at new things some times. Anyway, I went with a Centre Force Dual Friction clutch set-up.(Pick up today)
Butch

P S
Mike, I installed my Superior Axils last wk, next alum fw,clutch,still cking out t-5 upgrades. M/T Ets & some rims and will be ready for drags this spring!!! YAHOO!!
Old 12-21-2007, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
MJN

Butch.

Better send that T5 to Gordon Levy for an upgrade before it turns itself into shrapnel.

So long as you take it easy on the launch rpm and don't flat shift you should be OK but really the T5 is about the only thing preventing you from 1.5 second 60 ft times with the front wheels in the air.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Captain

Mike,
Soooo many ways to go on T-5 upgrade. Still just asking alot of questions(and getting more confused about it) As you know, I don't have very much hp/tq, but I just need to be "quicker" with what I have(ha ha) Would be very cool to get into high, high 11's with my set-up? If not, I'll be very close(I hope)
Butch
P S
Maybe 1.7s 60ft?(no more 2.0s!)
Old 12-21-2007, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
MJN

Butch.

I baby my T5, leaving at idle, shifting quick but not power shifting and it has held up just fine running 1.7 60 ft times and 11.7 quarter miles. However if I had sticky tires on the car I know I would be tempted to up the launch rpm and shift harder and that would probably be enough to kill the trans. One of these days it'll decide it's had enough and then it'll get rebuilt with a decent gear set (G-Force or Astro).
Old 12-22-2007, 06:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Mike, are you running a stock T5? If so, this is for you....tick tock tick tock (just a matter of time, lol). Cheers.
Thomas
Old 12-22-2007, 04:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
MJN

Yes I know, but having had this particular T5 since 1988 in my Mustang and now in the Cobra I've had to change the battery in my timer a couple of times and the T5 still hasn't grenaded. Why? Karma? Who knows?
Old 12-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

My Center Force Dual Friction with Tremec 3550 have held up well for over 16,000 miles.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

...and still counting.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Captain

Up date:
I got a Center Force II instead of Dual Friction. Several (drag racers?) said I didn't need any "bigger" clutch for my set-up/purpose/hp/tq/MTs/ color/ect. With a lite car,alum fw, Center Force II should be fine. Getting even MORE CONFUSED about T-5 upgrades?! Astro T-5 upgrade looks pretty good, but $$$. To be cont:
Butch
Old 12-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
MJN

Butch the trans upgrade is going to cost you as you have found out but at least then you'll know that you won't have to worry about it. I think about my T5 every time I race the car and worry about whether it is going to survive another beating. Because it's always being considered is probably why I haven't broken it yet. I do tend to baby it. I have looked at the G-Force and Astro gear sets and think that either would be a decent set up. I will probably pay someone to install the gears when I do it, probably Bob Hanlon as he is so close to me and already built the T5 that's currently in the car which may be another reason why it's survived this long.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:33 AM   #16 (permalink)

Its basically an economy priced OEM clutch. I had one in my old sixer stang and I have to say it caught better than my Ford clutch but I am not sure about longevity since that car is now totaled. I liked it but it's not a high performance clutch. It's a clutch that works well! I would buy again for a DD.
CKtheCerealKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKtheCerealKiller View Post
Its basically an economy priced OEM clutch. I had one in my old sixer stang and I have to say it caught better than my Ford clutch but I am not sure about longevity since that car is now totaled. I liked it but it's not a high performance clutch. It's a clutch that works well! I would buy again for a DD.
CK,
Centre Force II Clutch is suppose to have 60% more hold than a stock clutch. Was told that size of clutch is good for street/strip if you(me) don't have alot of hp/tq and just want a better than oem clutch. I hope the clutch is a good "entry level" performace clutch for my needs? 99.99% of my driving is on the street/cruising with some 1/4 mi thrown in there!
Butch
Old 01-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchB View Post
CK,
Centre Force II Clutch is suppose to have 60% more hold than a stock clutch. Was told that size of clutch is good for street/strip if you(me) don't have alot of hp/tq and just want a better than oem clutch. I hope the clutch is a good "entry level" performace clutch for my needs? 99.99% of my driving is on the street/cruising with some 1/4 mi thrown in there!
Butch
I am speaking of the Luk clutch. The Dual Friction IS a performance clutch. Luk's are basically an aftermarket OEM with slightly better feel and a bit more hold. If you want a strip clutch I love Dual Friction clutches. If it's a normal day you don't need that extra holding power though.

I've heard of stock Ford clutches holding upwards of 500hp, it slipped like mad when he hit 3rd gear on the strip but it held!

Like I said though for a weekend driver I like Luk among other brands of course, so go with that.
CKtheCerealKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement