Recommendations for "Best" Autocross Tire & Wheel setup - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Competition > Autocrossing / ProSolo
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Recommendations for "Best" Autocross Tire & Wheel setup

I am currently runing a MK3.1 in autocrosses, and it is clear to me that my tires are just not up to the challenge. I would like to purchase a set of wheels and tires, specifically for Autocross and Track time.

I am running the 17" Halibrand Replicas, sold by FFR and would like to stick with similar size tires and wheels.

Front Wheel Size (Diameter x width): 17"x 9" 6.00" Backspace (24mm offset)
Rear Wheel Size (Diameter x width): 17"x 10.5" 6.7" Backspace(27mm offset)
Wheel Lug Pattern: Ford style 5 lug x 4.5" bolt circle

I am currently running Nitto 555 Tires.
Front: 245/45 R17
Rear: 315/35 R17

I am considering A6 Tires but was wondering what others had experience running, good/bad & Neutral
MK3.1 Picked up 06/06/2009. FFR #7000 RDS
3-link 3.73; TKO600; 393W 500Hp/490TQ

If your not 1st the view never changes!
FFRCobraPoison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
MJN

275 / 315 A6's will fit those rim sizes and would be the right choice for what you are looking for.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

A6 or R6 ???

Old 11-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

Talking

You want the A6 for Auto-x, the R6 is a slightly harder compound for RR use. The R6 takes a while to warm up. I had them on my old Auto-X corvette and they do not start to grippy until you have about 3 runs on them. The A6 will bite on the first run and get better as they heat up a bit. If it a warm day you might have to spray them down after 3 runs as they get so soft. They are very sensitive to alignment specs and tire pressure so if you choose them check pressure often. I run 275 F 315 R on my Coupe and I've see 295 F on some Roadsters if you have the correct rim with and you are willing to run a lot of caster. You should get about 100 runs on them before you need new ones assuming you trailer your car or use a trailer to haul them. They are very soft and will pick up all kinds of grit. I often find small pieces inside my car after an event.
HTH
CB
Cone Basher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'v tried them all. Your choices are slightly limited by available sizes. For example, you can't use a Hankook. I trailer the car to the track.

Hoosier R6 is a fast tire out of the box. But it quickly degrades. It will heat cycle out before it wears out. You also need a fair amount of camber to get good use out of it; like 1.75-2.25*

Toyo 888 was a terrible tire. It quickly got greasy and became less than useless. I got rid of them long before they wore out.

BFG R1 was pretty good. But it uses a higher inflation pressure, and that gives it a stiffer side wall. If the track is rough it will bounce you around a bit, and unsettle the suspension. I think it would be a good tire for a heavier car, like a Mustang.

Kumho V710 is my favorite tire. It is about the same cost as the Hoosier. But it stays fast a lot longer, and won't heat cycle out as quickly. I can get almost a whole season out of them. It works well with a lot less camber; like 0.5-1.25*.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
Dart 427W, Momar 8 Stack EFI, 600'ish hp, TKO, 3.55 TruTrac, Red with Ghost Flames. More fun than should legally be allowed.
Bob Cowan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 02:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

I can trailer to and from the tracks, primarily looking for autocross for next summer with "A" class road racing. While it sounds like the A6 are a good tire for what I will be using it for....What about wheel recommendations.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman

All the DC area FFR autocrossers are running A6s. Wade tried the newest BGF Rival and took them off after one event. 275s or 295s on the front and 315s on the rear. All of us are running wheels the same sizes as you have.
Anthracite Mustang Bullitt Wheel - 17x9 (94-04 All) - Free Shipping
Anthracite Deep Dish Bullitt Mustang Wheel (17x10.5) (94-04 All) - Free Shipping 28111
You will need to get a garden sprayer to water the tires down on hot days. The max 140 deg that Hoosier states is way too hot. Since the label stuck on the tire is mostly purple one guy calls them purple crack. Once you run A6s you will never want anything else.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cone Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
All the DC area FFR autocrossers are running A6s. Wade tried the newest BGF Rival and took them off after one event. 275s or 295s on the front and 315s on the rear. All of us are running wheels the same sizes as you have.
Anthracite Mustang Bullitt Wheel - 17x9 (94-04 All) - Free Shipping
Anthracite Deep Dish Bullitt Mustang Wheel (17x10.5) (94-04 All) - Free Shipping 28111
You will need to get a garden sprayer to water the tires down on hot days. The max 140 deg that Hoosier states is way too hot. Since the label stuck on the tire is mostly purple one guy calls them purple crack. Once you run A6s you will never want anything else.
I too preferred the Hoosier A6 over the V710. As far as wheels go I did have the same Bullitt wheels but fould them to be very heavy. When I got some new wheels I went with the Enkei RFP1. I forget the price but they were not crazy expensive and you could feel the difference when you picked one up.

** Sold **
FFR #5662, MKIII, Carbed 351w,Garrett Turbo,TKO, 8.8 3.55, 3-link, Koni's, VPM Sway Bars, Wilwood Superlites, 17" Goodyear F1D3 Street or Hoosier A6 solo.
P_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Love this Forum

Thanks Guys, very much appreciate the input, sounds like the A6s are the way to go. Rims I will take a look at the options presented here.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

Thumbs up

poison: Glad to share my experience and try to help. This forum was a find for me after I started to build my car and I knew what I wanted to do and found out here how to do that. Without the members and vendors on this forum I could not have built it the way I wanted it to turn out.
Keep in touch let us know how it turns out:
CB
Cone Basher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman

Dang, I was excited to see the Enkies but they only have 9.5 and 10 inch widths.
Advertisement