HID Headlight upgrade - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
Canadian Forum sponsored by Specialty Car Parts Canada
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery
Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Regional Clubs / Events Discussions > Canadian Region sponsored by Specialty Car Parts Canada
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 03:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

HID Headlight upgrade

Just a note to anyone that is considering a headlight upgrade to HID....... do it , what a huge difference in nite driving in the fall here in Alberta . The kit is really simple with one slight mod to the the lite pot but other than that all plug and play. Todd at Wheels Plus in Edmonton can get the kit and it isnt that expensive for being able to see clearly at nite!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5938.jpg (239.2 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5939.jpg (192.6 KB, 92 views)
cobra1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 03:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Dam you, now I have to upgrade something else My list is growing for the winter.

Looks good BTW!!

Perry
FFR #6641, Mk 3.1, 408W Stroker, Dart Block, Edelbrock Victor Jr Heads, Custom Hydraulic Roller Cam, FAST EZ EFI 2.0, Non-Donor, TKO 600, Center Force Clutch, 8.8" Detroit Tru-Trac, 3.73 Gears, Polished FR500 Style Wheel, Big Ass Wilwood Brakes, VPM Reinforced 3-Link, Stainless Steel Braid Everything. POM Dec/2010 & Feb/2011.
SIZE-O is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

new project for fall now
ffr #4049 5.0, 3-link, 17\" cobra r
98stang4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

It's added to the list. One question, can it be added while still using the tri-bar lights?
Wayne
Old 10-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
I did it to mine a year ago and I LOVE it!!
331 CID, Twisted wedge heads, E303 cam, 1.7:1 roller rockers, Mass-Flo injection, Aluminium rad, Ceramic coated headers & pipes, Breeze drive shaft, 3 link, powder coated frame, heated sport seats, Motorsport 1.75 turn power rack, power brakes, 295/50R15 rear tires, 235/60R15 fronts with Halibrands from Whitby's, March pulley's, 3.73 rear diff and Motorsport rear diff girdle and much more.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/557996496OrYPsL
Cobravii is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
UrQ
FFCars Master Craftsman

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra1966 View Post
. The kit is really simple with one slight mod to the the lite pot but other than that all plug and play.
Any detail on the kit, cost? who makes it?
My Garage
UrQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

I also have them and they look and work great
we got headlights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F5R1006366RD, 2000 mustang gt 5 speed donor, Team 3 Halibrand

Graduation Thread
http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...te-6366-a.html
mydream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 02:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Garage
Here's a comparison between regular sealed beams and HID...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HID conversion 002.jpg (70.4 KB, 79 views)
331 CID, Twisted wedge heads, E303 cam, 1.7:1 roller rockers, Mass-Flo injection, Aluminium rad, Ceramic coated headers & pipes, Breeze drive shaft, 3 link, powder coated frame, heated sport seats, Motorsport 1.75 turn power rack, power brakes, 295/50R15 rear tires, 235/60R15 fronts with Halibrands from Whitby's, March pulley's, 3.73 rear diff and Motorsport rear diff girdle and much more.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/557996496OrYPsL
Cobravii is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 04:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Its a Vision X 7" sealed beam replacement kit , cost on that was $89.99 and the H4 Silver Eagle HID Hi/Low 6000K kit $299.00 . All in with the Got Screwed Today tax was $409.98
Old 10-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra1966 View Post
Its a Vision X 7" sealed beam replacement kit , cost on that was $89.99 and the H4 Silver Eagle HID Hi/Low 6000K kit $299.00 . All in with the Got Screwed Today tax was $409.98
What? No PST in Alberta? You lucky dog. Looks good.
yankabilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 02:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

LOL not yet but with this new lady premier that was just voted in and her promising to influx over a $100,000,000 back to the teachers in 10 days its comin soon lol
Old 10-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Snake Farmer

Garage
Whats the wattage rating on the HID bulbs?

Do they have a blue hue to them?
AC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Bill, not having seen the lights I can't comment with any degree of certainty, but looking at the part number it contains the numbers 6000K. In the lighting world 6000K would refer to the color temperature. In this case it would be 6000 Kelvin, which is very much towards the blue side of the spectrum. For reference, your standard sodium vapour street light is yellow and would reside around 2500 Kelvin. An Led will be in the 5000 Kelvin range. So the HID lights are bluish while the LED lights are not so blue but more white.

I am not a huge fan of the blue headlight look. I prefer something whiter. I guess the question to ask here is whether this kit is available in a 5000K?
msteen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Just following up that last post, if you go to this website you can see the color temperature spectrum.

Colour Temperature Chart
Old 10-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Snake Farmer

Garage
My concern was, if they are a higher wattage than standard H4 bulbs, is the heat produced in the headlight unit, and if the amperage draw in the stock size wires, headlight switch, etc. could be more than they are rated for.

Odd that they don't show the wattage? I see this company offers a pure white one as well, for those that don't either like the blue, or if there is some legal aspects of running the blue colored lights.

HID Kits
AC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by msteen View Post
Bill, not having seen the lights I can't comment with any degree of certainty, but looking at the part number it contains the numbers 6000K. In the lighting world 6000K would refer to the color temperature. In this case it would be 6000 Kelvin, which is very much towards the blue side of the spectrum. For reference, your standard sodium vapour street light is yellow and would reside around 2500 Kelvin. An Led will be in the 5000 Kelvin range. So the HID lights are bluish while the LED lights are not so blue but more white.

I am not a huge fan of the blue headlight look. I prefer something whiter. I guess the question to ask here is whether this kit is available in a 5000K?
OEM HID bulbs are usually 4300K color temp, so 5k would be closer to white than the 6k.
1fastsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

4300 is a reasonable color temperature, pretty white.

I am pretty sure an upgrade of this type will require adding a relay in the light circuit and increasing the size of the wire feeding the lamps.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Interesting question from Bill about the HID being legal. From HID Canada's website:

Q: Are non-factory HIDs street legal?

A: Generally, no. This is the reason most automotive kits have a disclaimer stating "for off-road / show use only." The legality borders on "is it legal to have licence plate covers." Again, the answer is no. On the flip side, if you use HID kits responsibly, a properly installed and aimed HID system will have no more backscatter or glare than a factory system. Where people get into trouble is haphazardly installing HID kits into unsuitable reflector based systems, or using crazy color temperatures (eg. 8000k) which clearly show a (poor choice) aftermarket system is being used. This is akin to those using clear license plate covers versus dark smoked variants. We'll leave the discussion there.

They also suggest that 6000K is the best choice for good color and high light output. Sunlight is about 5800K.

HID headlamp burners (bulbs) produce between 2,800 and 3,500 lumens from between 35 and 38 watts of electrical power, while halogen filament headlamp bulbs produce between 700 and 2,100 lumens from between 40 and 72 watts at 12.8 V. You shouldn't have to upgrade headlight wiring for power consumption in that range. Common sealed beam and halogen lamps are often rated at 55 watts.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

For those wondering about blue lights, here is an excellent article on the matter.
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
Old 10-10-2011, 06:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Aftermarket additions to vehicles are provincially regulated. Here is an excerpt from the Alberta Vehicle Inspection Regulation:

7.5 Inspecting for proper bulbs:
If a lamp designed to take filament bulbs is seen to emit significantly blue, purple, pink, or
multicoloured light, or if a lamp has a significantly blue, purple, or pink appearance when switched off and closely examined from straight ahead of the lens, it probably has been illegally retrofitted with Xenon HID bulbs or with filament bulbs having excessively coloured glass.

In Europe, HID lamps are required to have lens cleaning systems and also be self-leveling. Both of these features help to reduce the glare presented to oncoming drivers. These requirements don't yet exist in North America.

By the way, the Alberta regulations also list driver's side window tinting, license plate covers, and other things that we all see every day. If you install your headlamps in a way that doesn't blind other drivers, I don't know why anyone would give you a hard time about it. Just keep in mind that it isn't allowed.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but since you asked.......
Old 10-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #21 (permalink)

When i asked the mechanical inspector from the SAAQ here in Quebec, he explained to me that they hold a piece of white paper in the front of the headlight, if it shows up blue, it's a no go. I have 6000k and i'm ok.
But, the headlight housing on my car are NOT D.O.T. and was indecated on the box for use off road only.
Hella make a DOT but it's no a clear lens like this one.
HTH

F5R1006366RD, 2000 mustang gt 5 speed donor, Team 3 Halibrand

Graduation Thread
http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...te-6366-a.html
mydream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #22 (permalink)

Oh man, went out for a cruise with Perry and Mike last night. Mike's lights are so bright I still have a headache from him driving behind me. Gotta get a set of these. Perry and I should just have turned ours out and let Mike lead, he could have lit the way for all of us. This a great upgrade.

Murray
Old 10-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

That's right, Mike was "behind" us....heh, heh, heh

Perry
FFR #6641, Mk 3.1, 408W Stroker, Dart Block, Edelbrock Victor Jr Heads, Custom Hydraulic Roller Cam, FAST EZ EFI 2.0, Non-Donor, TKO 600, Center Force Clutch, 8.8" Detroit Tru-Trac, 3.73 Gears, Polished FR500 Style Wheel, Big Ass Wilwood Brakes, VPM Reinforced 3-Link, Stainless Steel Braid Everything. POM Dec/2010 & Feb/2011.
SIZE-O is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 03:30 AM   #24 (permalink)

Hey play nice i wasnt behind the whole time , lol . Just remember i just have a little guy in mine but it takes a licking and keeps uhhhh running lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement