Cobra den progress (otherwise known as Darren's shop) - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Cobra den progress (otherwise known as Darren's shop)

Well, I now have the culverts in so my somewhat circular drive is done. Final grading is complete and the footings have been dug, just need to fill some areas of the dig as the transit was reading incorrectly. Checked it with my laser and found it was 6" off at 40'. Just need to fill the trenches in a few areas to fix that.

Here are a few action shots!

FFR MK3.1 7075 Delivered: 10/13/09, First start 2/28/11, gokart 10 minutes later
408w carbed, TKO 600, IRS (3.27 with Torsen), dual roll bars, halibrand replicas, SS side pipes, rivet on hood scoop, SAI mod

Satisfied customer of: Factory Five Racing, Mike Forte, Breeze Automotive, Whitby Motors, Herb's Door Panels, Cobra Heat, Stewart Transport, Wayne Presley (Very Cool Parts), North Racecars, and Finish Line

First Start:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dyno:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

FFR MK3.1 7075 Delivered: 10/13/09, First start 2/28/11, gokart 10 minutes later
408w carbed, TKO 600, IRS (3.27 with Torsen), dual roll bars, halibrand replicas, SS side pipes, rivet on hood scoop, SAI mod

Satisfied customer of: Factory Five Racing, Mike Forte, Breeze Automotive, Whitby Motors, Herb's Door Panels, Cobra Heat, Stewart Transport, Wayne Presley (Very Cool Parts), North Racecars, and Finish Line

First Start:

Dyno:
post #3 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 01:36 AM
FFCars Craftsman

Send a message via MSN to VENMUS
Did I miss the thread with 'The plan' sketches or something? This looks like a big project, what exactly is the goal? A circular driveway, like a drive-in-one-side and drive-out-the-other kinda deal? Either way, looks like progress to me!

2002 Mustang GT. Oxford White, Cobra R wheels black/polished lip, 275/40R17's, SLP exhaust, Steeda short-throw 5-spd, and special driver mod :D

I feel safe when I'm on the racetrack, I really do. I know that I'm surrounded by the best drivers in the world. That's something you can't say when you're driving down the interstate. - Sterling Marlin

post #4 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 01:37 AM

Cool Darren!
I really enjoyed operating that tractor when I was doing mine.

Flying is the answer...What was the question?

Doug

Arrival: 11/26/06 (My Birthday) Roller: 4/20/08 First Start & Gokart: 10/18/08 Body back on for the first time since delivery: 1/18/09 Registered: April 2010 Graduation: When it's finished!
post #5 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VENMUS View Post
Did I miss the thread with 'The plan' sketches or something? This looks like a big project, what exactly is the goal? A circular driveway, like a drive-in-one-side and drive-out-the-other kinda deal? Either way, looks like progress to me!
It is a split driveway to my new shop I'm building... it will be a 30 X 38 building with heated space above. It will mainly be my wood/metal shop but will have room for the roadster build.

I don't have an electronic copy of the rendering available right now but I'll try and find one.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #6 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 01:06 PM

Nice progress, looks like the weather is cooperating. I take it you will be building through the winter!

Man, I miss my garage. Feels like I just finished it and then had to leave... oh, wait, that's what happened.

Non-Donor MKIII Delivered Oct. 18, 2005
Complete June 21, 2006

351w 400hp, T5, 3-link, 3:55

post #7 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 04:32 PM

That looks like a lot of fun. When's the garage build party?

3 link with Konis, Kirkey seats, 347 w/ Massflo, cobra brakes, fox power brake mod, SAI mod, VPM 3 link brace, paint by SRP. on the road
post #8 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
That looks like a lot of fun. When's the garage build party?

I'll keep ya posted

Dug 2 trenches 200' each from the shop to either side of my house. One for septic at 2' deep and the other for power, gas, water, cable, network, phone, security system at 3' deep. Needless to say... my back yard is trashed.

First Start:

Dyno:

Last edited by Darren; 11-02-2009 at 11:44 PM.
post #9 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Just finished the trench to the utilities on the side of my house... that last 15' took me 4 hours. Got darn close to the water and gas lines. Had to dig up the phone line and move it out of the way. Got it within 3' of the power so I'm done digging!

Pictures to follow later today.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #10 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
Just finished the trench to the utilities on the side of my house... that last 15' took me 4 hours. Got darn close to the water and gas lines. Had to dig up the phone line and move it out of the way. Got it within 3' of the power so I'm done digging!

Pictures to follow later today.
"Later today" has come and gone ...

Complete June 21, 2006

post #11 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 09:21 PM
We know what you're up to
FFCars Captain

Send a message via MSN to Don Payne
I'll be waiting for the Cobra Den open house invite. You gotta show off that sucker when it is finished.

-Don
FFR6966 - MK3.1, IRS, AFR 205 headed 408w, depleted bank account, pissed off wife, friends think I'm a hermit, dreaming of driving the Cobr@ someday.

PS Footbox Mod

Tire Stencils

post #12 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Sorry guys, I'll post more pics in a few minutes... cooking bacon!

Don, you'll be on the list but it is quite a commute

First Start:

Dyno:
post #13 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Ok, more pics. These are pics of me trenching for septic... it doesn't show the 36" deep trench that I dug afterwards for power/gas/water/network/cable etc... One pic shows the beginning of it.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #14 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Here is the septic trench heading to the shop

Locating the septic tank inlet.

Here I am starting the second trench down the other side of the yard. The shop will be just beyond the trees.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #15 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 04:00 PM

Your lucky they let you connect the shop to septic. The local authorities won't allow that here as they think you'll turn it into secondary accomadation. Looks like your having fun tearing up the yard. When do you think you'll start to frame?

Jim.
post #16 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelownacobra View Post
Your lucky they let you connect the shop to septic. The local authorities won't allow that here as they think you'll turn it into secondary accomadation. Looks like your having fun tearing up the yard. When do you think you'll start to frame?

Jim.
Around here they go by the number of bedrooms. Since the shop won't have a bedroom I could technically have 10 bathrooms and they would approve it.

I'm hoping to have my footing poured on the 21st. Then the stemwall a week later. Then I have to prepare for the slab and in-floor radiant heating. That will take a week or two. After I have that finished I hope to start framing. I'd say framing in a month maybe sooner if I get lucky but so far that hasn't been the case.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #17 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 05:59 PM

Darren, are you commited to the slab heat? Reason I ask is, in my old shop I use an overhead radiant tube heater. It warmed the shop very quickly and quietly, had enclosed flame so it was safe(woodshop), but it was a bit intrucive. In my new shop, which is under the garage attached to the house, I went with radiant slab heat. It is nice and cozy and the warm floor is nice, but it takes a long time to warm up. If you leave it heated all the time I guess that isn't an issue, but for me I only turn the heat up when I going to use it. I find I have to preplan when I'm going to be in there and turn the heat up in the morning to use it in the evening, where as the tube heater could heat things up in 1/2 an hour or so. Maybe it's just that I'm too cheap to leave the heat on all the time but I wish I had gone with the overhead heaters again.

Jim.
post #18 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelownacobra View Post
Darren, are you commited to the slab heat? Reason I ask is, in my old shop I use an overhead radiant tube heater. It warmed the shop very quickly and quietly, had enclosed flame so it was safe(woodshop), but it was a bit intrucive. In my new shop, which is under the garage attached to the house, I went with radiant slab heat. It is nice and cozy and the warm floor is nice, but it takes a long time to warm up. If you leave it heated all the time I guess that isn't an issue, but for me I only turn the heat up when I going to use it. I find I have to preplan when I'm going to be in there and turn the heat up in the morning to use it in the evening, where as the tube heater could heat things up in 1/2 an hour or so. Maybe it's just that I'm too cheap to leave the heat on all the time but I wish I had gone with the overhead heaters again.

Jim.
Yep, I've thought about that. I intend to keep the shop at 60 degrees year round 24/7 (except summer). I'll have an overhead gas heater to bring it up 5 -7 degrees while I work in the shop area. The radiant floor heat is just to keep the shop and space above at a reasonable temp so pipes don't freeze, so my glue, stains, etc... remain stable and so it is relatively comfortable year round.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #19 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 02:40 PM

Moving along, hope the framing goes up quickly!! Going to be nasty building during winter!

Complete June 21, 2006

post #20 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian F View Post
Moving along, hope the framing goes up quickly!! Going to be nasty building during winter!

Yeah, not happy about that at all. The weather was great up until the middle of last week... even had a 60 degree day. Now it is just wet and soggy. I'm putting the footing boards in this weekend if all goes well. I hate working in the rain but framing is better than digging.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #21 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
Yeah, not happy about that at all. The weather was great up until the middle of last week... even had a 60 degree day. Now it is just wet and soggy. I'm putting the footing boards in this weekend if all goes well. I hate working in the rain but framing is better than digging.
Yup! I finished the outside of mine last year (roof, gutters, paint) right before winter kicked in, around mid-October if I remember. This year, I finished the interior right before I left.

Heck, it's been in the low 70's and sunny here for the past week. I hear there's about 2 to 4 weeks of winter coming sometime in January...
Now, if it wasn't for the downpours and summer humidity...

Complete June 21, 2006

post #22 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 03:20 AM

Wow, you're really tearing things up. I'm jealous.

3 link with Konis, Kirkey seats, 347 w/ Massflo, cobra brakes, fox power brake mod, SAI mod, VPM 3 link brace, paint by SRP. on the road
post #23 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Astrof Concrete just dropped off my forms, rebar, hold downs, spikes, mesh etc... ready to start the footing Saturday. Probably gonna be digging most of the morning to get to fresh solid soil again... rain has kind of washed the sides down a bit. After that I should have the forms started and done by Sat evening. Will probably pour next week or maybe the next Sat for convenience. Stem wall should be cake after that. I'll take pics

First Start:

Dyno:
post #24 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Here is the shop elevation

First Start:

Dyno:
post #25 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:42 PM

I'm jealous you have a project like that to work on, hope the weather cooperates with you. Not to sound like a know it all (cuz I'm not) but I noticed you dug for footings with a toothed bucket and wondered if you were going to run a packer around before you place forms? Also are you able to shoot pour the footings or do you need a pump truck?

Jim.

P.S. That's a nice looking building.
post #26 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, it is toothed but I need to hand dig down another 3" so that won't be an issue. If I use a packer it will set off red flags... they'll want to analyze my soil etc... I'm just going to hand dig it a few more inches and should be in great shape.

Thanks for the info... I'll take any pointers/tips/critiques I can get.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #27 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 04:16 AM

That's gonna be a sweet place Darren!

Doug

Arrival: 11/26/06 (My Birthday) Roller: 4/20/08 First Start & Gokart: 10/18/08 Body back on for the first time since delivery: 1/18/09 Registered: April 2010 Graduation: When it's finished!
post #28 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 04:40 AM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Darren, that looks killer! Wish I was doing that.

Bob
post #29 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 03:50 PM

After seeing your plans, I don't even want to go out to my shanty shack today

Just kidding....that's gonna be awesome!

Doug

post #30 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

We'll soon see if I bit off more than I can chew

First Start:

Dyno:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement