Cobra den progress (otherwise known as Darren's shop) - Page 3 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelownacobra View Post
Darren, that should coincide well with the completion of my Co**a. It might just make a great road trip.

Jim.
Cool, we'll keep it in mind.

FFR MK3.1 7075 Delivered: 10/13/09, First start 2/28/11, gokart 10 minutes later
408w carbed, TKO 600, IRS (3.27 with Torsen), dual roll bars, halibrand replicas, SS side pipes, rivet on hood scoop, SAI mod

Satisfied customer of: Factory Five Racing, Mike Forte, Breeze Automotive, Whitby Motors, Herb's Door Panels, Cobra Heat, Stewart Transport, Wayne Presley (Very Cool Parts), North Racecars, and Finish Line

First Start:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dyno:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Got the stem walls up. Still need to hang the rebar and add the outter supports to keep things set but it is all plumb, square, and level.

FFR MK3.1 7075 Delivered: 10/13/09, First start 2/28/11, gokart 10 minutes later
408w carbed, TKO 600, IRS (3.27 with Torsen), dual roll bars, halibrand replicas, SS side pipes, rivet on hood scoop, SAI mod

Satisfied customer of: Factory Five Racing, Mike Forte, Breeze Automotive, Whitby Motors, Herb's Door Panels, Cobra Heat, Stewart Transport, Wayne Presley (Very Cool Parts), North Racecars, and Finish Line

First Start:

Dyno:
post #63 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

First Start:

Dyno:

post #64 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 01:20 PM

My back's aching just thinking about all the work to come!

Looking good Darren!

Flying is the answer...What was the question?

Doug

Arrival: 11/26/06 (My Birthday) Roller: 4/20/08 First Start & Gokart: 10/18/08 Body back on for the first time since delivery: 1/18/09 Registered: April 2010 Graduation: When it's finished!
post #65 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Just rented a bunch of thermal blankets... gonna be too cold to place the stem wall without them. Having a hard time finding someone that will deliver concrete on Sat... when I do, twice the price now. Ouch!

First Start:

Dyno:
post #66 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 05:00 PM

Looks like progress is bein' made. It sure is a different method of forming than I'm use to. We use kickers, snap-ties and whalerbar with 2x4 bracing around the entire perimeter. A lot less work the way your doing it. Why does the concrete price double? Just because it's Sat.?

Good luck with the pour, Jim.
post #67 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Looks like progress is bein' made. It sure is a different method of forming than I'm use to. We use kickers, snap-ties and whalerbar with 2x4 bracing around the entire perimeter. A lot less work the way your doing it. Why does the concrete price double? Just because it's Sat.?

Good luck with the pour, Jim.

I'll be adding 2x bracing this week on the outside and inside to prevent it from falling out of plumb but for the most part it is done. The price is going up because nobody is pouring this time of year. They will only open on Saturday if there are enough orders. That and I need a boom pump which is another $350. My footing was 4.25 yards and only cost $550 after tax. The stem wall is 4.75 yards and is going to cost $668 because of the time of year and Sat + $350 for the boom pump = $1000 + total so double for pretty much the same amount of concrete.

I think I'm going to have to wait for spring to do the slab. Unfortunate, I was going to use the slab to build up the walls. Also won't be as easy to screed and trowl the slab when there are 3 walls up My timing sucks.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #68 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
I think I'm going to have to wait for spring to do the slab. Unfortunate, I was going to use the slab to build up the walls. Also won't be as easy to screed and trowl the slab when there are 3 walls up My timing sucks.
Ouch, that sucks! Sure you can't do the walls now? Is the weather your main concern? Could always tent the slab after pout or have roll up sides.

Non-Donor MKIII Delivered Oct. 18, 2005
Complete June 21, 2006

351w 400hp, T5, 3-link, 3:55

post #69 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 05:39 PM

Don't feel bad Darren. When I built my house, the concrete unions went on strike the day after I poured my foundation. It was months before I could pour my slabs, so we teleposted the basement and got the first floor on and up we went. Winter builds are not idea but the show must go on, right? Is there any way a conc. truck can get around your site to shoot pour it? As I've mentioned before, I'm a cheap bastard, and if it can be avoided (pump truck) all the better. With only 5 yds to pour, it fits in a small truck, so more manuverable and they should be able to extend the shoot to 15-18', plus the concrete will flow farther. Even if you have to barrow a few loads, when you factor the .5yd. you'll lose to the pump truck it might be worth it to hire a grunt for 1/2 day to help out.

Just my thoughts, Jim.

P.S. Once you prep for your slab, framing on the gravel isn't all that bad.
post #70 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian F View Post
Ouch, that sucks! Sure you can't do the walls now? Is the weather your main concern? Could always tent the slab after pout or have roll up sides.
I'm planning to place the stem walls on Sat if the weather holds out. They won't even deliver concrete if it is near freezing. After that I have to figure out the slab. I can start framing the walls etc... without the slab but I would really like to have the slab to work off of, makes it really nice. My main concern with the slab is the temps. If it gets at or below freezing the concrete will cure to a brittle state and will be useless. I can blanket the stem wall easy enough so it will have 1" of form and the thermal blanket which should be good for the two days needed. The slab is another story.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #71 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Don't feel bad Darren. When I built my house, the concrete unions went on strike the day after I poured my foundation. It was months before I could pour my slabs, so we teleposted the basement and got the first floor on and up we went. Winter builds are not idea but the show must go on, right? Is there any way a conc. truck can get around your site to shoot pour it? As I've mentioned before, I'm a cheap bastard, and if it can be avoided (pump truck) all the better. With only 5 yds to pour, it fits in a small truck, so more manuverable and they should be able to extend the shoot to 15-18', plus the concrete will flow farther. Even if you have to barrow a few loads, when you factor the .5yd. you'll lose to the pump truck it might be worth it to hire a grunt for 1/2 day to help out.

Just my thoughts, Jim.

P.S. Once you prep for your slab, framing on the gravel isn't all that bad.
Unfortunately the chutes are only 16' and there is no way to get to the back or side walls. I'll have to suck it up and pay for the pump truck.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #72 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Was outside this morning at 6:00am. It is about 9 degrees and I was placing the final hold-down steel components. Damn, that's cold. Inspection of the foundation wall forms is today. I don't anticipate any issues although my concrete supplier called and cancelled on me for Sat. Rescheduled to Monday. Too cold to pour and his trucks systems are all frozen. Same story with all suppliers. None are running right now.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #73 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
Was outside this morning at 6:00am. It is about 9 degrees and I was placing the final hold-down steel components. Damn, that's cold. Inspection of the foundation wall forms is today. I don't anticipate any issues although my concrete supplier called and cancelled on me for Sat. Rescheduled to Monday. Too cold to pour and his trucks systems are all frozen. Same story with all suppliers. None are running right now.
Very cold indeed!

It got down to 29 here this morning, which is very unusually cold for this area at this time of year. Two days ago, it was 70 and humid.

Non-Donor MKIII Delivered Oct. 18, 2005
Complete June 21, 2006

351w 400hp, T5, 3-link, 3:55

post #74 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Senior Charter Member

Chance of snow on Monday, that should be fun

Carman
'89 Saleen 0366 - My donor for FFR 6322 (SOLD).

A new study shows that 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions.

Check out FairTax.org
post #75 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Hard or Go Home View Post
Chance of snow on Monday, that should be fun
Just the morning. High of 42 which should be perfect.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #76 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Passed the foundation wall forms inspection. Shooting for a Monday pour at about 2:00pm. Forecast is looking promising. I think I'm going to hold off on the slab for now and start framing once I have the utilities run.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #77 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 05:29 PM

Darren,
Can you use a couple of guys with wheelbarrows to move the concrete around? You might want to postpone a week or so. It's supposed to warm up next week.

Nate

3 link with Konis, Kirkey seats, 347 w/ Massflo, cobra brakes, fox power brake mod, SAI mod, VPM 3 link brace, paint by SRP. on the road
post #78 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Darren,
Can you use a couple of guys with wheelbarrows to move the concrete around? You might want to postpone a week or so. It's supposed to warm up next week.

Nate

I have a pump truck coming so no need for manual labor or wheel barrows I need to get this concrete poured ASAP... I'm way over time on my form rentals and it is costing me big $$$.

My Monday appt was cancelled now so it looks like Wed at the earliest now.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #79 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

The concrete has been placed for the stem wall. Was nice, love the line pump. It is 50 degrees here so the temp is perfect.

Pics to come

First Start:

Dyno:
post #80 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Tip of the day: If someone asks you to help pull footing forms... run like hell!

It was 3 times as hard as assembling the forms and kills your back, pulling stakes alone will kill you. Then prying the forms off after the dirt has fallen back into the spaces is crazy... oh well. Took 8 hours with help. Done now. Will be stripping the stem wall forms tomorrow am at about 6:00. Should be much easier.

I need a nap.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #81 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 03:08 PM
Senior Charter Member

Did they forget to tell you to spray the forms before the pour? Helps a lot to get them off.

Carman
'89 Saleen 0366 - My donor for FFR 6322 (SOLD).

A new study shows that 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions.

Check out FairTax.org
post #82 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Finished stripping the foundation wall forms. I'm beat. Here are the pics I promised!

First Start:

Dyno:
post #83 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Hard or Go Home View Post
Did they forget to tell you to spray the forms before the pour? Helps a lot to get them off.
Separating the forms from the concrete was easy, it was digging them back out that sucked, that and pulling the 2' stakes. The ditches had caved in trapping the forms between dirt and the concrete. Had to dig all day.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #84 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 10:38 PM

Looking good! It must feel great to have that part behind you.

Jim.
post #85 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Lookin' great!

One of the last Mark II's, FFR complete date 5/8/04, delivery date 5/23/04, donor-'93 Mustang GT. Yes, that is me in my Avatar. :)

Drivin' the hell out of it in gelcoat!!!
post #86 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 11:13 PM

Looking great. When is the lumber truck making a visit?
post #87 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. The lumber truck is still a bit away. I need to run the power and other utilities first. I have a new 400 amp service I'm installing at the house and have the switch and new panel for the shop. Just need to buy the wire $$$$ and PE pipe etc...

First Start:

Dyno:
post #88 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 12:29 AM

Those forms are slick. It has been years since I helped with mostly flat work and I have a question. How do you keep the concrete from filling in where the garage door and door cut outs are? The forms looked wide open in the night shots. Thanks, Gregg
post #89 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg W View Post
Those forms are slick. It has been years since I helped with mostly flat work and I have a question. How do you keep the concrete from filling in where the garage door and door cut outs are? The forms looked wide open in the night shots. Thanks, Gregg
I blocked out on the sides and left the tops all open, we filled concrete next to each block and then moved on to other areas, it set a little while we filled in the long back wall. Then we came back and filled around the blocks to the top, the concrete pushed down a bit and filled the low areas up a little past what I wanted but we just shoveled it out after it set up a little more, then we troweled it to finish it a bit. Pretty easy.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #90 of 522 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 02:14 AM

Darren. It always surprises me how fast you can start pulling blocks out and the other parts will stand. I thought you had troweled a bit. I suppose that will be covered by the floor. Thanks Gregg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement