Cobra den progress (otherwise known as Darren's shop) - Page 2 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Well, just finished digging out the foundation another 4-6" by hand. Not terribly fun but not as bad as I thought. Also connected my 3' deep trench where I had to leave a 10' gap due to phone and cable lines. After all that I set up a security light in one of the trees to help protect the building materials. Gonna get one of those driveway chimes as well so it will alert me when someone crosses the driveway.

I'm tired, whiskey coke in hand. Tomorrow is footing forms.

FFR MK3.1 7075 Delivered: 10/13/09, First start 2/28/11, gokart 10 minutes later
408w carbed, TKO 600, IRS (3.27 with Torsen), dual roll bars, halibrand replicas, SS side pipes, rivet on hood scoop, SAI mod

Satisfied customer of: Factory Five Racing, Mike Forte, Breeze Automotive, Whitby Motors, Herb's Door Panels, Cobra Heat, Stewart Transport, Wayne Presley (Very Cool Parts), North Racecars, and Finish Line

First Start:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dyno:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB SCHAEFER View Post
Darren, that looks killer! Wish I was doing that.

Bob
You could be doing that sooner than you think. Grab a nail gun and come on over in about a month

FFR MK3.1 7075 Delivered: 10/13/09, First start 2/28/11, gokart 10 minutes later
408w carbed, TKO 600, IRS (3.27 with Torsen), dual roll bars, halibrand replicas, SS side pipes, rivet on hood scoop, SAI mod

Satisfied customer of: Factory Five Racing, Mike Forte, Breeze Automotive, Whitby Motors, Herb's Door Panels, Cobra Heat, Stewart Transport, Wayne Presley (Very Cool Parts), North Racecars, and Finish Line

First Start:

Dyno:
post #33 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 12:16 AM

Have hammer, will travel. Looks like a lot of fun.

3 link with Konis, Kirkey seats, 347 w/ Massflo, cobra brakes, fox power brake mod, SAI mod, VPM 3 link brace, paint by SRP. on the road

post #34 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Have hammer, will travel. Looks like a lot of fun.
I have witnesses. Dust that hammer off. I'll be calling before you know it.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #35 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote of the day "Footing form work sucks"

Easy but tedious and lots of digging to ensure level and for the different joggs in the foundation.

I'm tired. Red wine, then changed to Limoncello. Nothing like a drink or two to relax tired muscles and bones. I used to thrive on this kind of work. Outta shape!

First Start:

Dyno:
post #36 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 12:59 AM

When doing my foot forms (or actually removing them), I put a screw through my kneecap. Don't rush...

Non-Donor MKIII Delivered Oct. 18, 2005
Complete June 21, 2006

351w 400hp, T5, 3-link, 3:55

post #37 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Got the footing form work and rebar done. I have a pre-pour inspection set up for Tuesday. Here are some pics of that and the trenches going back to the house.

Here is the South wall which will face the back of our house.

This is the West wall, the front of the shop facing the street.

This is the North wall which faces the back of our property

This is the East wall which is the back of the shop facing the side of our property.

First Start:

Dyno:

Last edited by Darren; 11-23-2009 at 12:31 AM.
post #38 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Getting dark out... here is the power, gas, water, communications trench.

Another shot of the utilities trench.

The same utilities trench looking towards the house from the same spot.

And finally a shot of the septic trench which continues around the house.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #39 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:37 AM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Darren..
Did you have to have a GeoTech test done? The reason I'm asking is, I'm pouring footings for a shop building at work and the city required it. They had me over-dig the ditch by 2 foot then bring it back up to footer elevation with import dirt, compact and then test for compaction. That's probably just because it's the city of Puyallup. We're on loose alluvial soil in the valley, I'm across form the Puyallup river.

Bob
post #40 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Nope, no soil test/inspection at all. Probably because it is not a habitable structure, just a garage/shop on an existing plot that has a dwelling that went through all those tests. They will check to see that I DIDN'T compact the soil or backfill. That would be cause to go through a geological review as they'd wonder what I was hiding. Basically the footing is to be poured on undisturbed soil. I dig to the footing depth and no further.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #41 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
Nope, no soil test/inspection at all. Probably because it is not a habitable structure, just a garage/shop on an existing plot that has a dwelling that went through all those tests. They will check to see that I DIDN'T compact the soil or backfill. That would be cause to go through a geological review as they'd wonder what I was hiding. Basically the footing is to be poured on undisturbed soil. I dig to the footing depth and no further.
Mine was the same, except I had a gravel base and moisture barrier.

Complete June 21, 2006

post #42 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian F View Post
Mine was the same, except I had a gravel base and moisture barrier.
You are referring to the slab correct? I'll be doing the same there.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #43 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:44 PM

Good progress Darren. Looking good.
You'll be smoking a cigar & working on the car before you know it!

Flying is the answer...What was the question?

Doug

Arrival: 11/26/06 (My Birthday) Roller: 4/20/08 First Start & Gokart: 10/18/08 Body back on for the first time since delivery: 1/18/09 Registered: April 2010 Graduation: When it's finished!
post #44 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Senior Charter Member

I'd guess Bob had to do more foundation work because his location is in Pierce county and he is right across from the Puyallup river. I'd bet his office and everything else down there is built on sediment.

How much of that have you done yourself? Did you build the forms? Bend the rebar and tie it in?

It looks good and if I had any free time, I would have stopped by already to check it out and help a bit.

Carman
'89 Saleen 0366 - My donor for FFR 6322 (SOLD).

A new study shows that 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions.

Check out FairTax.org
post #45 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
You are referring to the slab correct? I'll be doing the same there.
I didn't do a separate pour/footings, I just did very large thicked edge footings with gravel, bar, barrier.

Complete June 21, 2006

post #46 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian F View Post
I didn't do a separate pour/footings, I just did very large thicked edge footings with gravel, bar, barrier.
Ah, mono-pour. Did one of those for a neighbor. Can't beat it for time/money savings. With radiant floor heating it would have added too much time/planning so I went traditional.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #47 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Hard or Go Home View Post
I'd guess Bob had to do more foundation work because his location is in Pierce county and he is right across from the Puyallup river. I'd bet his office and everything else down there is built on sediment.

How much of that have you done yourself? Did you build the forms? Bend the rebar and tie it in?

It looks good and if I had any free time, I would have stopped by already to check it out and help a bit.
Did it all myself with the help of a neighbor that owes me a favor or 20. Feel free to stop by any time you feel like it. Just give a call. I'm off all week working on the car and shop etc...

First Start:

Dyno:
post #48 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Footing inspection lasted all of 60 seconds. Good to pour!

First Start:

Dyno:
post #49 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Just finished the concrete work for the footing. All looks good. We had the concrete calculated to the knat's ass. Had to scrape up a little spillage to get all that we needed. Nice that we didn't have to dump 1/4 yard like I was expecting.

Pics to come.

First Start:

Dyno:

Last edited by Darren; 11-26-2009 at 01:33 AM.
post #50 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 11:31 PM

Moving along! You'll be framing before you know it...

Flying is the answer...What was the question?

Doug

Arrival: 11/26/06 (My Birthday) Roller: 4/20/08 First Start & Gokart: 10/18/08 Body back on for the first time since delivery: 1/18/09 Registered: April 2010 Graduation: When it's finished!
post #51 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:21 AM

There's no turning back now! If you had of run short you could always make it up when you pour the walls. Footing pours are the hardest to calculate so hats of to you for being so close. Look forward to the pics. Wish I lived closer, I'd be there helping.

Jim.
post #52 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Here are some pics.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #53 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

First Start:

Dyno:
post #54 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelownacobra View Post
There's no turning back now! If you had of run short you could always make it up when you pour the walls. Footing pours are the hardest to calculate so hats of to you for being so close. Look forward to the pics. Wish I lived closer, I'd be there helping.

Jim.

If you lived closer you'd be welcome to help Actually you are welcome to help regardless but I know a commute like that would really suck Maybe you could make it down for the official Shop/Cobra party. I'll be throwing that this spring/early summer if all goes well.

First Start:

Dyno:

Last edited by Darren; 11-27-2009 at 03:12 AM.
post #55 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 03:57 AM
We know what you're up to
FFCars Captain

Send a message via MSN to Don Payne
Geez Darren, did you have a few beers when you dug those trenches?

Just kidding, it looks great!

-Don
FFR6966 - MK3.1, IRS, AFR 205 headed 408w, depleted bank account, pissed off wife, friends think I'm a hermit, dreaming of driving the Cobr@ someday.

PS Footbox Mod

Tire Stencils

post #56 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Payne View Post
Geez Darren, did you have a few beers when you dug those trenches?

Just kidding, it looks great!
Nope! That came after while we watched it cure

First Start:

Dyno:
post #57 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

A few hours after the concrete placement it began to rain... off an on so I wasn't worried. I woke up the following morning at 5:00am to a huge downpour. I didn't know if it just started or had been that way all night. Tried to go back to sleep but I had visions of my vertical rebar laying on it's side and puddles of concrete sludge. Got up and headed out to the back 40 knowing it was fine but worried for the worst. Of course it was rock solid and cured perfectly. No worries.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #58 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Senior Charter Member

If I remember correctly, concrete cures better under water.

Carman
'89 Saleen 0366 - My donor for FFR 6322 (SOLD).

A new study shows that 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions.

Check out FairTax.org
post #59 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Hard or Go Home View Post
If I remember correctly, concrete cures better under water.
You are correct. The main thing is when above water the concrete needs to have cured enough that the exposed area is hard enough to resist the pounding from the rain. After that it is all good, otherwise the rain turns the exposed area into a pitted/sandy mess.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #60 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
If you lived closer you'd be welcome to help Actually you are welcome to help regardless but I know a commute like that would really suck Maybe you could make it down for the official Shop/Cobra party. I'll be throwing that this spring/early summer if all goes well.
Darren, that should coincide well with the completion of my Co**a. It might just make a great road trip.

Jim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement