Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Should I use RTV or not on Fel Pro molded rubber silicone oil pan gasket?

86K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  Real time recon 
#1 ·
I'm about to install a Fel Pro Perma Dry (blue molded rubber silicone) oil pan gasket on my 5.0 L. Fel Pro says that the gasket must be installed dry without any chemical adhesive.
What is your experience using this gasket? Will this work without any adhesive or are there some adhesives that will improve the seal? Thanks in advance.
Mark

#36 ·
Update: I found a couple of leaky valve cover gaskets, I think they are the culpret. I just ordered better/different gaskets. Fingers crossed.

#37 ·
I installed a Fel-Pro one piece gasket on my Chevy big block. New block, new pan, specialty studs and it leaks at the rear U channel. I'm cranking on the bolts trying to get it to stop but no luck. The engine would need to come out of the car to change it. Bummer.

#39 ·
No access from underneath? Apply a small dollop of RTV at the front and rear corners where the flat parts meet the curved part.

Reactions: Real time recon
#38 ·
I'm about to install a Fel Pro Perma Dry (blue molded rubber silicone) oil pan gasket on my 5.0 L. Fel Pro says that the gasket must be installed dry without any chemical adhesive.
What is your experience using this gasket? Will this work without any adhesive or are there some adhesives that will improve the seal? Thanks in advance.
Mark
Here a link to what I just did. Oil Pan Powder Coat and Re-install With Fel-Pro OS30616R...

The installation instructions for the Quality Roadsters pan I have say to glue the gasket to the block with trim adhesive which I did and worked great. The instructions also say to use a dab of RTV (I used Permatex Ultra Black) in the corners both under and on top of the gasket and to lay a thin bead of RTV on the pan rails, which I also did. I haven't had a chance to test it yet so can't say for sure if it's oil tight or not but think I have a good shot at it. Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.