FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum - View Single Post - Baseline suspension set-up advice
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 12:29 AM
hydro67

do large rear tires help create understeer

does having to large a rear tire help to create under steer in my car
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
I have a 3 link coupe so only some of my experience applies.

1. With the 10.5" rims in front the rim may hit the upper control arm at full lock. Mine did and I had to use 1 rack spacer to limit steering travel slightly. It changed my turning radius by about 3'.

2. A friend has a roadster with a 275F/ 315R combo and it understeers. My guess is yours will be worse with the 335's in back. Based on this a front bar will only make the push worse. Hence a big bar in back will probably be needed. Some push can be dialed out with more camber in front....say -2 to start with, and less camber in back.

3. If you have power steering then the sky is the limit on caster. I run 9 degrees.

4. Keep the oil pan above the bottom of the frame rails, and the current ride height is fine.

5. Don't jack with too much until you have autocrossed it a couple of times. Until you have explored the limits much of your cash may be wasted IE: a fancy front sway bar on a car that pushes.

Here is your guide: understeer / oversteer corrections

Hopefully others can fill in the blanks where I am lacking.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome

Welcome to FFCars! The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the FFCars.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Factory Five Racing, Inc. or Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by FFCars.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Factory Five Racing, Inc. or Ford Motor Company for any purpose. "FFR", "Factory Five", "Factory Five Racing", and the Factory Five Racing logo are registered trademarks of Factory Five Racing, Inc. FFCars.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting the FFCars.com Forum dedicated to Factory Five.