decisions---roadster vs 33 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Regional Clubs / Events Discussions > Southeast Region
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
decisions---roadster vs 33

I have been thinking about the 33. I currently have a roadster but I am thinking about selling it to buy a 33 kit. I am wanting a 33 with hard top and fenders. Just curious how these two cars compare. Is the 33 more refined and/or does it ride similar to the roadster? Also curious about wind noise, feet room, ect....
Is this a car that I would be able to drive on extended trips on interstate. I just don't want to sell the cobra and end up with something that is less satisfying. Please help with any facts/opinions that would help make my decision easier.
kdavis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 12:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavis View Post
I just don't want to sell the cobra and end up with something that is less satisfying. Please help with any facts/opinions that would help make my decision easier.
I would keep the roadster and build the 33, if at all possible. My goal is to one day have the roadster and have a coupe.
FFR#3906
Steven K is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
*** CAD Librarian ***
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

Hot Rod Magazine Profiles Factory Five DIY Cars!

the above link has phenomenal coverage of all the cars, as well as numbers and videos for each car.

best comparison yet!

Glamour Shots

FREE Fender Spat Template & a few useful CAD files for everyone, click here!

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....

NiceGuyEddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
MJN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavis View Post
I have been thinking about the 33. I currently have a roadster but I am thinking about selling it to buy a 33 kit. I am wanting a 33 with hard top and fenders. Just curious how these two cars compare. Is the 33 more refined and/or does it ride similar to the roadster? Also curious about wind noise, feet room, ect....
Is this a car that I would be able to drive on extended trips on interstate. I just don't want to sell the cobra and end up with something that is less satisfying. Please help with any facts/opinions that would help make my decision easier.
You need to sit in a 33, the interior feels very roomy compared to the Roadster. The only thing that I couldn't get used to in the 33 is that I have a habit of leaning my right leg against the trans tunnel on long trips and the 33 really doesn't have much of a trans tunnel. I think if it had cruise fitted or a center console then this wouldn't be an issue either. The 33 handles very well but a lot of the 'feel' is due to the seats that are fitted. With buckets you will feel very connected to the road with a nicely upholstered bench seat, not so much. Hopefully someone close to you will offer you a ride.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

My plan: finish the roadster, get a week-end job, save money and get the hot-rod kit... So keep both!

That being said, my dream hot rod is a Ford 5 window 32 coupe, not a 33...

Oh well, got to finish the roadster first.
wormie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
Ok I have had several replies saying to keep the roadster and build the 33 also. The problem: i have no more room to keep them in my shop so I have to decide one or the other. I just needed some good comparisons or opinions between the 2.
I would also love to know if any one in North GA has a 33 that I could even look at to get a more realistic visual of the car. I would even be willing to drive a little to be able to do this. I am not asking to test drive or anything just wanted some more ideas.
kdavis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 03:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think you should sit in a coupe That's what I did when I visited FFR. I was pretty sure I wanted to build a hotrod but after sitting in all 3 (GTM was over budget and 818 was not out) the coupe just felt right.

Even though the foot box is deeper so your knees are not bent up it is narrow as the 33 pinches in at the nose. Also, visibility with the hard top is not very good. I am pretty sure the ride/handling is very similar to the roadster. I have also heard that they are louder with the hard top. You might want to PM Tom Veale as he has had both.

Take a look at Rumbles build log if you haven't already:
Rumbles Build

He paid much attention to sound control and documented his build well. Pretty sure he gave some driving impressions in there some where...

-Todd
smithtlw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

There is a 33 up near you...He is from Florida but has a home in N GA...silver and black and is very nice...!!!I saw it last year on one of our rides...impressive.
gerry
Advertisement