5-Day Snap-On Tools-Factory Five Coupe Build - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

3Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

5-Day Snap-On Tools-Factory Five Coupe Build

This week we are building a Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe-R with the crew from Snap-On Tools. This build will be part of Snap-On’s broadcast series “From the Ground Up.” The quality of the parts going into this car is really exciting. We have one of the very first, if not THE very first, Ford Performance 5.2L Aluminator 52XS crate engine going into the car. Our long term partners at KONI have set us up with a great set of double adjustable shocks. The crew at Wilwood shipped us a nice set of their cross drilled and slotted racing brakes. We’re running a Fuel Safe racing fuel cell and full fire suppression system. Unique to this car, and a first for Factory Five, are the All-Star Performance air jacks. Other parts include Aviaid dry sump system, Rays 18″ racing wheels, Sparco racing seats, and Aim digital race dash. The car will have full aero front and back and use our new front aero bumper cover, carbon fiber front splitter, and double front aero canards. In the back, we will run a rear wing and under aluminum sheet.

Day 1 – Monday, March 13

Cold and snow is forecast for tomorrow, but we’re running red hot here at Factory Five on day 1 of our Snap-on Tools Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe build! Huge thanks to the amazing people at Ford Performance for delivering a very exciting engine. This will be an epic build, and we’ll keep you update all week. The full episode will be available on Snap-On’s series “From the Ground Up” in about a month.

The first day was for set-up, tool and part inventory, and getting ready for the action to start.

The white powdercoated Coupe-R chassis is ready for the project.

The crew from Snap-On spent the day organizing their tools, unpacking, and getting ready for the build.

Scott Sengpiel from Snap-On shows Jesper his mega tool cabinet.

We are sponsored by Snap-On and all of our tools come from them.

Lots of shiny metal parts!

kitcarnut thanked this.

Dave Lindsey

"Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere." - Van Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

We are starting the build with a painted body. Jon had to do some engine work to get the 5.2 ready for a dry sump oiling system.

At the end of the day, we had done a few hours of assembly work on the car which included front and rear suspension and about half of the aluminum panels. The engine is ready for install.

Tuesday, March 14

Today is day 2 of the Snap-on Tools Factory Five Gen 3 Coupe build. We started out the day with front and rear suspensions installed on the chassis and about half of the aluminum panels drilled and mounted. Check out the progress.

The very, very cool Ford Performance Aluminator 52XS engine awaits install.

Jim finishes installing the dry sump on the engine while Tony, Jesper, and the Snap-On crew work on the chassis.

Those cylinders behind the suspension are air jacks. Did you know the original 1965 was the first race car to feature air jacks for pit stops?

Dave Lindsey

"Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere." - Van Wilder
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

We painted the body in advance of the one week build. We also powder coated the aluminum panels metallic grey. All race chassis at Factory Five are now powdercoated white standard.

Engine was in by 2 PM today and now Jon is working on plumbing and headers.

Scott from Snap-On helps Jim and Tony from Factory Five up top while Factory Five’s Jon works on the headers.

Dave Lindsey

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:38 PM

Wow
Fantastic Job
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:51 PM

that is very cool. Looking forward to seeing the completed project.

Regards, Mike

Coupe 258, picked up Mar 11-06,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:38 PM

Looks awesome!
I'm almost done getting all the parts to make a 5.0L version of the 52XS (forged with the GT350 heads, etc.), but that would have made things so much easier! Great to see Ford finally making them available.

Can you tell us the fuel cell part number? It looks like a large capacity with a side fill to use with the regular LeMans style fill cap which would be nice.

Also, are the air jack mounts standard on the R version? Any details on this setup?

Future Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 07:38 AM

5-Day Snap-On Tools-Factory Five Coupe Build

Awesome Dave!!!!

Edit. I'm NOT doing the same build at all after seeing all the cool aero stuff you added. Also I'm dry sumpong which it looks like the snap on guys did not (probably due to having the FIRST A52 motor which is so sweeeeeet!!!)

I'm doing the same build almost to the letter with my Gen 3 R number 12, and am super exited to ride on your coattails on his build. I'm hoping for some great developmental insights with your super bleeding edge factory build.

BTW, For anybody who might be interested in getting an A52xs motor from ford performance group, they are telling me they will be available to the general public this summer (unless like Dave you have a special "in" . Priced roughly like the current A50xs is the word for now ($17K...ish) that date has slid several times from end of 2016, to early 2017 and now sits on "this summer". Apparently they are currently in the Reliability testing phase of putting out their new Crate motor.

(Here's a write-up

Inside Ford Racing's New 5.2 Coyote Crate Engine A52XS

442ish torque, 582ish hp. Reves up to 7500ish like a good coyote should. Awesome motor! (and no, sorry, no flat-plain crank for us poor modders. You have to pony up for a cobra if you want one of those...) The ford performance A52xs puts out better number anyway though may not sound quite as cool.

It looks like we get to choose between dry sump OR A/C on the gen3 (pending final A/C system design) ... I'm (of course) going with the dry sump, (and before you ask, the guys at Ford won't budge on deleting their oil system to save cost, and made dire warnings about the 3/36 warranty when you pull it off yourself)

I'm going to try to figure out a way to fit an electric A/C compressor (maybe from an [ahem] Prius). If it works I'll post my solution to my build site. (wish me luck)

Anyhow cheers to snap on and FFR for making these super fun videos!! As an enthusiastic new builder, I love them!

Last edited by SurfDog57; 03-21-2017 at 04:15 AM.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Day 3 – Wednesday, March 15

On day 3 of the Snap-on Tools Factory Five Gen 3 Coupe build we expect to wrap up the engine and plumbing. The footbox and pedals are in as well.

Tony from FFR and Scott from Snap-On started bright and early at 8 am.

Wilwood brakes are going to do a great job of slowing the car down. KONI double adjustable shocks and Fuel Safe fuel cell are race duty parts.

The body was painted in advance and Jim spent the morning getting the headlights, tail lights, and trim items on the body so it is ready to be mounted by the end of the day.

Above & Below: Tons of details to attend to like bleeding brakes, finishing wiring and plumbing, and getting the dash wiring complete.

Filming tends to slow down the project, but the crew is making good progress.

Dave Lindsey

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

The R frame has functioning doors with the outer skin only. Behind the door are the crash bars added to the R Coupe.

Factory Five’s Dave Smith talks to Scott Sengpiel from Snap-On about the progress of the project.

Factory Five’s favorite road racer came by to spy on the race car.

Nate Johnson leads the team in an impromptu sing-a-long of “Low Rider.”

The end of the day witnessed the very first start of the very first 5.2L Ford Aluminator 52XS engine outside of the walls of Ford Performance!

“From the Ground Up” host Jared Deanda talks to Factory Five’s Tony Zullo about this exciting new engine.

Dave Lindsey

Last edited by Dave L @ Factory Five; 03-15-2017 at 09:38 PM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:31 AM

you guys are doing a great job.

The Traveling Builder
717-599-9232 Wanda for scheduling

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:08 PM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Wait,... no video of the first start!!??
That is going to be an awesome ride, and for what it's worth when Snap-On is done with their promotional purposes for this car I'll gladly park it in my garage after.

stay the course lads

John
chrisarella thanked this.

Building when I can, sigh....

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Fast EZ EFI
First start Sept. 18 2013
First go kart Sept 19 2013

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Day 4 – Thursday, March 16

Big day today as we fired up the Ford Performance 5.2L Aluminator 52XS engine for the first time. We confirmed with the team at Ford that this engine is THE very first aftermarket 5.2L in the world. Such a great honor, and after hearing it come to life, we are even more anxious to get the car to the track and see what 580 normally aspirated horsepower in this car is like.

It’s alive! Here’s a short video of the Ford Performance 5.2L Aluminator 52XS first start in the Type 65 Coupe.

Above & Below: This morning, this is where we started with the crew staying late last night and mounting the rear body clip.

We are soon to be introducing a new line of aero parts for the Gen 3 Coupe. These rear brake vents are just one of these new parts.

The carbon fiber rear brake vent installed.

Jon Dean preps some custom brackets.

FFR’s Jay Kravitz mounts massive 335/30/18 rears with 295/30/18 fronts with Scott from Snap-On.

Dave Lindsey

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

FFR’s Tony Zullo and Jim Schenck love working together!

The doors were mounted right around noon today.

Above & Below: The team is THRASHING today with tools and parts everywhere!

Nothing like fresh rubber!

The second half of the day there has been a flurry of activity. The windshield glass is going in this afternoon and the nose will be installed later today.

Dave Lindsey

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Day four was the day that lasted forever as the crew worked until about 11 PM to finish mounting the front nose, side exhaust, and aero components.

Day 5 – Friday, March 17

First thing Friday morning the car gets sponsor decals/graphics. Today we are going to spend the day cleaning up the shop, putting tools away, and getting the car ready for track duty. The car is running/driving, but will need another week or so of nut and bolt checks and small details. Here are some shots of where we ended up at the end of four days.

Dave Lindsey

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

It’s hard to believe that five days ago this car wasn’t far away from the kit in the background. Huge thanks to the crew from Snap-On Tools for a fun week and for the awesome free tools! The road ahead for this particular car is very exciting. The car will be heading south to do some track testing for the show, after which it will headline Snap-On Tools National Convention and end the year at the 2017 SEMA Show with lots of track time between now and then!

Dave Lindsey

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:05 PM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Censorship will not allow me to say what I feel right now.
What a car!!!!!!!!
AWESOME!!!

John

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Fast EZ EFI

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:21 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Love it. Great color choice too. One question, the body looks like it's sitting high in front in the wheel well section. Is that going to be dropped down?

FFR 4031K, twin-turbo dart block 331, AOD, 144.91 mph in the 1/4 mile
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:26 PM
FFCars Craftsman

She's a beauty! Never used to like the coupe, didn't dislike it but just wasn't my style. Now the gen III, not sure what it is but it has changed my mind.

Kyle

MKIV#8707, Picked-up 09/05/15, 351w, TK600, QF680, 15" Halibrands, PS, Wilwoods, Gas-N Headers & Sidepipes, Viking Blue with ith Wimbledon White stripes. First start 03/25/16. First go-cart 04/01/16. Registered and on the road 07/15/16! Painted 03/15/17.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:44 PM
FFCars Captain

Who can argue with red and white? Looks amazing. Can't wait to see one in person.

Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017.

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. Deliv: 08/05/2015. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017. Red/white club for the third time.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

This coupe is beginning to look somewhat radical ...

Garry

I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031 with 422" Windsor Stroker.(dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
Mk III # 5021 ***SOLD***
Unique 427 Roadster with 482"FE by Southern Automotive ***SOLD***
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:39 PM

Garage
Wow . Will those wheels fit the Mark IV Roadster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris

Arrived 12/18/2011, Coyote 5.0, T56, IRS, Torsen Diff, PS, Hydraboost PB + ABS, Wilwoods, & many extras
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:32 PM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Will the air ducts for the hood and rear quarter fit on a gen 2?
If so what's the $$$?

Thanks,

John

post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:07 PM
Baghdad Bob

Send a message via Yahoo to mcwho
u add up all the man hours of the whole build team what do you come up with? That includes donuts, coffee and beer time.

-Bob

Ordered Feb 26 2009
Engine: 331 from Engine Factory, Carburated QF 650
Halibrand 15" Wheels, BFG Radial TA Tires
Build School July 2010
Recieved Kit July 2010, #7287

Adds
Power Steering Rack & Offset Alum Bushings - Breeze, Power Steering Heidt Valve
Power Brakes - Whitby
Hydralic Clutch & Hydralic Brake Master Cyl. Modern Driveline
Modified quiet sidepipes - Breeze
sidepipe heat shields cobrastuff
Trunk Battery Box - FFmetalb
Firewall Forward - FFmetal
Turn Signal switch - Russ Thompson
Enlarged Passenger Footbox mod Russ Thompson
Russ Thompson accelerator pedal
Tremec TKO600 .64 5TH
Heater and Wipers

As of Mar 2017

Fitting the sidepipes and last will be hood and windscreen fit, then paint.

First start April 2016

First Go-Cart June 2016

Body is being prepped for paint
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:39 PM
BS
FFCars Captain

The Aero package on that coupe is really impressive. Do you have separate molds for the R coupe? It seems the exhaust side cut outs are also larger and some of the other parts are different from the street coupe- or am I imagining all of that?

Man, I would love to take that thing around the track a few times....

Bob

Built an original style CSX 427SC frame/body car with Carbon fiber body, 393W stroker, T5 (for now), T-bird IRS w/3.27 gears, dual roll bars, and lots of decisions yet to make.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:05 AM
ROOKIE!
FFCars Craftsman

This is now officially my favorite car in the whole world....

FFR#0611CP, Complete Coupe Kit, IRS with 3.55 gears, Ford Racing 363Z Stroker @473HP, Fast Sportsman EFI, TKO 600 with mid shift, Wilwood Brakes, FFR 17 inch Halibrand replicas, Sumitomo HTR Z P275/40ZR-17 front and P315/35ZR-17 rear.

Delivered- 08/17/2013
First Start- 11/19/2014
First GoKart- 11/20/2014
Paint- 08/21/2015
Licensed- 12/01/2015
Finished-?

Sweep the leg!!!!

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:08 PM

what a great build
well done guys.
It is great to see an R coupe finished. I hope Johns looks just as sweet when we finish it this week.

The Traveling Builder
717-599-9232 Wanda for scheduling

post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:17 PM

That looks like a mean little car...
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:43 PM

Beautiful job guys, that's one wicked looking coupe!

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:17 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to tranger
Beautiful race car.. Who will be the on track driver ?

MKIII.1,FFR6746, 331 ROUSH,T5,3.73,TEAM III 15"WHEELS, GOODYEAR 235/295
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:24 PM

Oh my lord..... I want to see this thing go head-to-head with a Viper ACR, it looks like a track monster!

Bravo guys, looking forward to watching the videos!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement