Factory Five Racing Forum banner

EV 65 Coupe?

9K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  turbodon 
#1 ·
I have done quite a bit of searching and snooping through the forums and I can't find anyone who has built a 65 Coupe as an EV.

Here is my vision (pipe dream?)

I love the classic look of the 65 Coupe, but for me it would be a 3rd car; Sunday driver; short range, weekend road trips kind of car. And I have a crazy idea to make it an BEV.

Based on the pics that I have looked at from various build projects, it looks like there is plenty of space in the transmission tunnel to put the motor, and then use the engine bay and gas tank/rear of the car for battery boxes. The plan is for a medium range (100-150 mile) BEV, with a moderate capability motor (AC-35 / AC-76) probably running a 144V system. Going with an AC drive train makes a lot of sense to me because of the regen, and lithium batteries (probably refurb/used Tesla) makes sense from both a range and a weight stand point.

Basic outline of the budget:
Kit + running gear $20K (Really what I want is the complete kit without the gas tank, motor components, etc...So I am probably going to wind up with the basic kit plus some stuff)
Motor and EV control components $10K
Battery pack $15K
Paint and Finishing $5K

Round numbers ~$50K

I would love some feedback to make sure that I am not completely out of my mind, and also to make sure that my budget numbers line up...

Yes, I could probably go the easy route and build an 818c but the 65 has the look I am looking for....

(my back up thought would be to put a crate ecoboost I-4 in one... )

See less See more
#2 ·
I know it's been done, more than once. I'v read about it on the other FF board. There's build thread on an electric 818 around here somewhere, too.

#4 ·
My biggest issue with an electric coupe would be the limited distance it could travel. If you want to drive several hours you're out of luck, an hour to an hour and a half would be the max, throw in some hilly terrain or spirited driving and the time gets shorter. But the acceleration would be awesome with the right motor installed. Maybe even give a Tesla a go on the drag strip.

#5 ·
I live in the Northern Virginia area, so there is quite a bit that can be reached in a 50-75 mile working range including a ton of wineries, and the blue ridge parkway. most of the twisty roads around here are 35-45mph speed limited (not that it slows down some drivers). There is also a fairly significant charging infrastructure in the area, so topping off is not an un-reasonable expectation.

I know that there are a few big builders that have made EV's from kits. All of them seem to be in the low 5 figure range. I was looking to see if anyone knew of someone who had garage built one.

#6 ·
Go for it!

And do a build thread. :)

#8 ·
Some great info on electrics at Kriss Motors

Mr Kriss started out with a plan to build an electric Roadster - but then thought better of it and built with a Boss 302. Still interested in electric he built an all electric Porsche Speedster Replica which came out fantastic, then converted his Saab Sonnet to Electric, also super-clean.

Kriss Motors

#9 ·
I don't think you will find battery components that cheap, not once you get all the computers to control it.

Do a search for the Zombie 222, it's an EV 68 mustang, he was pretty open about his cost. If I remember correctly he was in six figures on the drivetrain and batteries.

#11 ·
I have done quite a bit of searching and snooping through the forums and I can't find anyone who has built a 65 Coupe as an EV. Here is my vision (pipe dream?) I love the classic look of the 65 Coupe, but for me it would be a 3rd car; Sunday driver; short range, weekend road trips kind of car. And I have a crazy idea to make it an BEV. Based on the pics that I have looked at from various build projects, it looks like there is plenty of space in the transmission tunnel to put the motor, and then use the engine bay and gas tank/rear of the car for battery boxes. The plan is for a medium range (100-150 mile) BEV, with a moderate capability motor (AC-35 / AC-76) probably running a 144V system. Going with an AC drive train makes a lot of sense to me because of the regen, and lithium batteries (probably refurb/used Tesla) makes sense from both a range and a weight stand point. Basic outline of the budget: Kit + running gear $20K (Really what I want is the complete kit without the gas tank, motor components, etc...So I am probably going to wind up with the basic kit plus some stuff) Motor and EV control components $10K Battery pack $15K Paint and Finishing $5K Round numbers ~$50K I would love some feedback to make sure that I am not completely out of my mind, and also to make sure that my budget numbers line up... Yes, I could probably go the easy route and build an 818c but the 65 has the look I am looking for.... (my back up thought would be to put a crate ecoboost I-4 in one... )
Ford now sells the Mustang Mach e emulator motor on their website along with battery pack and all other components brand new. This is to encourage people to convert old Fords and other vehicles in BEVs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.