Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Winter upgrades

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  mikemoen 
#1 ·
Talked to Mark D this past week and everything is moving along smoothly.
My 306 crate engine gave just over 7k miles before valve train noise drowned out the exhaust. Attempts at changing out the pushrods solved the problem initially but the sound returned after some spirited driving. Ford's answer was to run heavy wt oil which I thought was weak, so instead of fixing why not replace.

My 331 is coming along nicely and will be installed next week. Since a larger carb is recommended, we are going to give fi tech efi a try.

Since Ill be going faster and in preparation for Durability Run 2.0, we will be installing LED headlights to help illuminate the way.

Looking forward to driving again. Should be soon.

Mike M.

See less See more
#2 ·
NICE!!! Post pics of the lights when they are installed. I like the idea of the high tech headlamps on the vintage body.

That sucks to hear about your motor. Are you just scrapping it?

jeff

#3 ·
combination of using some of the parts, and mark taking it in trade.
Just ticks me off thinking a ford crate engines made to factory specs was over a quarter off on one of the push rods and Fords answer is to use heavy wt oil.

oh well, guess I'll just stick to driving instead of thinking what Ford should do.
mike m.

#6 ·
new update.

well the fitech has been installed on the old engine. preliminary testing gets a thumbs up from Mark and Brendan. Crisp throttle response, more power. Compared to a dyno tuned quick fuel carb 650.

videos will come soon once installed on the 331.

Lights are in. side by side comparison is shown below. And yes they appear a little high, a combination of proximity to wall and that they aren't aligned.

More to come shortly
Moen.

#7 ·
The light looks good installed.
I've actually got a set of the chrome and a set of the black waiting to see which one will look better with my future paint choice.

Is that just the low beam on in the picture? How do the Hi's compare?

#12 ·
finishing up / almost done

Getting down to the final stretch.
spoke with Mark D the other day and all is going as planned.
out with the 306 and in with the new 331 stroker. Im told now it has the power that it should.
Fitech installed and being tuned for drivability. Brendan liked it so much he bought his own.
new ebc yellowstuff brake pads front and rear.
new irs axles installed (no more audible clunk under load)

And now with the additional power comes greater sound, my under car exhaust will need a different set of mufflers to protect my hearing. The old side pipes will be gutted so I can run loud when it is desired.
A lot of miscellaneous is yet to be complete which includes fan shroud, cruise control.

I can't wait to get it back. This winter has been rather mild and the driving season has begun early.
Mike M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.