Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Leaky exhaust header gasket

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Austexican 
#1 ·
Where would I get a replacement exhaust header gasket? I believe my headers are the Factory Five item for the Ford 302.

#2 ·
Any auto parts store, Napa, O'Reilly's, Pep Boys, etc. Ask for an exhaust manifold gasket for a 1990 mustang, V8.

#4 ·
#5 ·
I haven't used a header gasket in many years. Hi temp copper based silicone sealant only. Cheap, easy, readily available, and works well.

#7 ·
If you chose to go the gasket route, I would highly recommend using the Remflex brand. Many parts shops have them, or they can be ordered direct,

V8

I haven't heard of any failures with them, if applied as per their instructions, by not over torquing the header bolts.

They also have the header to side pipe gaskets, specially made for the FFR 4 into 4 BBK headers.

#8 ·
Bborr

Thanks all for the kind suggestions. I will explore each of them to reach a decision on which product to use.

Seagull, BBORR is now a wrap. It ended in a minor catastrophe for me. I was disqualified. No damage to me or the car, but I did not maintain 80 mph through the finish gate. All other times were satisfactory.

I pulled away strongly from the starting gate up to 120 mph. My place in the standings would be determined by how closely I obtained a 110 mph average for the 59 miles of the course. About midway through the course, the engine begain misfiring and I could not maintain 110. The severity of the misfiring increased and I tried different gears to determine whether there was improvement at a higher or lower rev range. No improvement. I was passed by two cars. Not bad considering a 30 second interval in the start times. However, as much as I mashed the pedal, the car continued to slow.

When I got to the pits, the team following me helped diagnose the problem. We found that the connector on one of the two little wires connected to the coil had been improperly crimped to its terminal connnector and the wire fell out of the connector as we wiggled it. We crimped and reattached and the motor ran without a stutter. I was not allowed to start the return run. Ten cent part fails through negligence on the part of the last shop to touch it! For me, a thousand bucks in entry fees, lodging, and travel results in disqualification.:frown2:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.