Factory Five Racing Forum banner

What did you do to your coupe today

222K views 2K replies 140 participants last post by  CJBergquist 
#1 ·
I was wandering through the " what did you do to your roadster today", and said to myself "self why the other guys and not us". I realize we are smaller in number but we were the world champs in 1965.
So I'll start. I am waiting for the coupe to arrive this week. I finished my body buck and rebuilt the power steering pump and I am going to go out to the shop and look at my Breeze hydro boost and mark the pressure line in and out, If I can figure out which is which and mark them, as such, since they did not come w/ directions. I will be posting pics when (hopefully) this week when coupe arrives.
Vinnie

#2 ·
I'll chime in... (not all of this was done today, but I'm just sayin')

We re-routed the fuel line, re-sealed the intake (typical oil leak), shaved off about 3" of the hood to clear a bigger/better air cleaner. (We originally had it set up for a cowl induction, but realized it doesn't really work that way)

Next: Routing two air movers into the cab, replacing crappy wiper with good one. (Only drivers side)

How's that??

#4 ·
Ditto that. Looked at in the garage when I went to plow the drive. Just can't seem to work on it in winter, things hurt SOOOO much more when you bust a knuckle in the cold. So it sits winters. However I am far enough along that I can realistically say that I will be painting it toward the end of fall 2012 or late spring 2014.

#5 · (Edited)
We raised the bubble and had intended to use it as a cowl induction set up. We realized it doesn't really work so we have removed the glassed in section so we can use a bigger air cleaner. We have one of those foam insert things and it works, but once in a while we get a little back fire and the foam kinda scares me...

Here's a look pre-paint:

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/member...uild-122-picture2008-view-passenger-side.html

#6 ·
Rob, the pic is your original version right?
I thought it was very well thought out. Are you making the same thing larger, or no more cowl?

70gt, It's not quite as cold here. Mid 40's in the garage before turning the portable on. I only need it to be mid 50's to be good. Doing lots of suspension and steering work on other vehicles the past couple of months while home.

Just have too many other things to work on that are a priority right now.

#7 ·
same thing I did yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that, and so on.

sand, fill, test fit. sand, fill, test fit. Then when everything is just the way I like it, glass, sand, test fit. glass, sand, test fit.

Man, these body modifications add up.

#12 ·
I spent the day working on the dash top and the 2 small ends on the dash. Because my dash is a little different than stock I spent a lot of time measuring, measuring again and again then fabricating to get this to work. I'm 90% satisfied...which means I'll be spending more time.

My thought for the day..."I'll never get this thing done".

#13 ·
Dropped the painted body on yesterday, and am working through a bunch of final assembly steps. Spent most of the day working on the neglected hedges in the front yard, so we took the Coupe for a brief spin through the neighborhood. Brakes are markedly improved over the last time we drove it (last Easter).

Hoping to have it finished in the next 30-40 days, then its up to the state of Alabama to decide when I can drive it legally.

Weekly updates (usually) available on the build blog:
Type 65 Coupe build in Alabama

#14 ·
Finally got all the air out of the cooling system, after four heating and cool down cycles. Had to jack up the driver's side and remove the top AFCO radiator vent to get as much trapped air out. No more coolant overflowing the recovery bottle! FINALLY! Jim

#16 ·
I made up my mind to call Factory Five tomorrow to order my coupe, so some day I can be washing the track grime off it.

JC

#19 ·
Hacking away at finishing the basement so I can install Fast Freddies PS.
Not really working on the coupe but one must be done before the other is begun.
Does that count?
Chris
PS: wish it was 72 degrees here, 18 right now. Better than -5 tho.

#20 ·
Howdy,

I got a long list of stuff that I got done today..........

1.) Oh, wait....... I don't have a coupe.

Actually I was too busy doing yard work today to work on my Spyder.

I had to cut down a dead pine tree yesterday and it didn't fall exactly where I wanted it to fall. So I had to repair a fence that separates my property on the east side with my neighbor's cow pasture.

By the time I finished moving the tree, repairing the fence and working on my old daily driver work car my weekend was used up.

I did work on the Spyder a little on Saturday but not much.

Paul

P.S. Don't forget to vote for Dexter!

The Terrier Club - BEST OF SHOW Photo Contest - January 2012

#21 ·
Since the body didn't go back on after paint the way it was before paint, I had to realign the both doors. I had to redo the rear hatch hinges by adding stiffeners so the pistons don't flex them. Mounted the mirrors. Mounted the rear spoiler and put in the pass. side door panel. Was pretty busy. Getting really close to loading this thing up and taking it down to the local muffler shop so they can connect the down pipes from the turbos to the side pipes.

#22 ·
I bought some aluminum sheets and started making splash guards inside the rear wheel wells. The kit only had splash guards for behind the wheels, so this is for in front of the wheels and above the wheels.

#28 · (Edited)
Yup, I can do that. It's still in progress now, so looks kinda hack. Hopefully, I'll be at the "presentable" stage in a few days, so will take some photos then. However, keep in mind that although my work is functional, it is no match for Russ T and John C in terms of art/beauty! I wish I had their skills!

#29 ·
Oh!!!! can anybody tell me how change the last word of my sign-in from hear to here. I had a brain-f--t when I first started it.
Vinnie
I figured there was a typo but I thought it was suppose to be "Old Crows Gather hair". :). Should speak for myself I guess.

#25 ·
Got my best girl (41 years now) drove down I25 and then west on I40 10 miles to the Laguna Pueblo for her first "1/2 lb Laguna Burger". Even better than an In and Out she said. They grill their green chile. The flat top grill is set high to give the bigger than a baseball hunk of never frozen meat a very nice crust. Your eyes will water from the chopped chile.

Put our coats in the back and when to Old Town to walk it off. What a way to get your kicks on old rout 66.

geezer tom @ the Blue Horse

#1,652 ·
The green chiles of New Mexico are considered delicious salad vegetables here in Texas. I have a coworker from Albuquerque who brings them back in bushel batches from Hatch and they are very welcome. However, they are not picante' and they do not produce tears. Serranos are green and they provide plenty of heat, but I associate them with Mexico where I lived for a number of years. They can produce tears, as can the chile de arbol (but that is normally sold as a dried red pepper).

I have never found a commercial outlet that provided chiltepequin chiles. I grow my own. The chiles are about the size of the BB's you shot out of your Red Rider gun. Harvesting the little buggers is a chore, but they explode in your mouth and they don't linger in your experience. They are capable of producing tears.

#26 ·
Yeah, it's been a cold and snowy winter here too, but my workshop is actually warmer than my house.

Spent all yesterday afternoon in there with the mistress. Since I completely revamped my dash, I'm working thru and rewiring everything and after many hours, it's just now coming together. No more rats nest. I've added half a dozen new relays. As soon as that's done, it'll be back to the same as spaceclam: sanding, test fit, fill, sand, test fit, fill...

#31 ·
Last week I made a major mod to my engine bay. Car is getting lighter all the time!

#32 ·
I think this thread is a great idea.

Today I did some practice driving so I'll be ready for when my Coupe gets finished. Wanted to make sure I could see out the back and sides for passing, so I drove from Santa Monica to San Diego and back...in my Christmas present.

5.0 Coupe with Bembro brakes up front with 19"s all around.

#34 ·
I think this thread is a great idea.

Today I did some practice driving so I'll be ready for when my Coupe gets finished. Wanted to make sure I could see out the back and sides for passing, so I drove from Santa Monica to San Diego and back...in my Christmas present.

5.0 Coupe with Bembro brakes up front with 19"s all around.
Merry Christmas indeed! Beautiful car!

Garry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.