Factory Five Racing Forum banner

What did you do to your coupe today

222K views 2K replies 140 participants last post by  CJBergquist 
#1 ·
I was wandering through the " what did you do to your roadster today", and said to myself "self why the other guys and not us". I realize we are smaller in number but we were the world champs in 1965.
So I'll start. I am waiting for the coupe to arrive this week. I finished my body buck and rebuilt the power steering pump and I am going to go out to the shop and look at my Breeze hydro boost and mark the pressure line in and out, If I can figure out which is which and mark them, as such, since they did not come w/ directions. I will be posting pics when (hopefully) this week when coupe arrives.
Vinnie

#94 ·
What I did today was find out that the shop that originally rebuild the 8.8 rear for me did a lousy job. I took it back once because it was leaking from one of the outer seals and it seemed a bit noisy. They fixed the leak but told me the problem with the noise was the axles being a little out of spec and sold me a new set. After having a problem with the diff at the track a couple weeks ago I took it to another shop to check it out and they found that the pinion bearing needs to be replaced and might be the original from 1993, and the axles were different, one was chromoly and one wasn't.

I'm not a happy camper.

#96 ·
MARC: The backup light is 3.5" and the over hang at the bottom of the back end is 4+". I know you kind of hook the bottom in then swing the top onto the frame but I'm hoping it will clear.

Today I got the replacement LEDs for the ones I burned up/broke. I got black ones this time, of course they were $1 more than the chrome ones...go figure. I like the black better as they don't stand out as much. Roll bar padding will cover up the wires. Hope I never have to dig into that mess of wires. Should be fun trying to attache the top to the bracket...:eek:

#99 ·
I used the two small cowel vents for the foot box ventilation. The other two hood vents will be open to the engine bay above the headers.

Here is what I did on the driver's side...

I have the passenger side figured out but haven't done it yet. I'll use the same blast gate idea with a vent hose going down through the passenger side dash.

It isn't weather proof but I'll try to find a way to plug it from above when it rains.

#116 ·
I used the two small cowel vents for the foot box ventilation. The other two hood vents will be open to the engine bay above the headers.

Here is what I did on the driver's side...

I have the passenger side figured out but haven't done it yet. I'll use the same blast gate idea with a vent hose going down through the passenger side dash.
Where did you get the sliders to open and close off the fresh air?

#100 ·
I worked on the passenger side Insulation panel. Decided to go with 16g polished SS. I left a 1/2 gap in front and a little more on the engine side. I used left over brake line for the spacers. Pushed my sheet metal brake to the limit on the one (or maybe just my back) anyway...so far so good. Still waiting for the KoolMat to arrive so I can add to the panels.

Good warm up for the driver's side.

#101 ·
I finished up my backup light. All that needs to be done now is to cut a hole in the rear of the coupe and glass it in. It figures that the mount for the light is slanted in the opposite direction as the rear of the car. Nothinging is easy.

I also changed the oil and filter and reset the front toe in. It was way off after I installed the engine.

#102 ·
Howdy,

Worked 20hrs OT this week so I didn't get much done. Worked a little on my driver's side footbox mainly making a removable cover for my Wilwood brake/clutch assembly.

Paul

#104 ·
CHAZ: Three things in one day...not fair. Did you make the roller brackets? What's the thickness on the bracket...BTY, they look very nice.

I got glass today and I installed the steering wheel. Had do some grinding on the mounting bracket to get it centered on the hole in the dash.

#106 ·
Found Short !!

I bought one of those inexpensive short finders. It worked pretty good. I found the short in my right fog light. The tension holding clip had moved and shorted out the light.Tough to find, easy to fix.
Added ignition key to make it a little harder to steal.
I put the fog lights on a separate switch.

NEXT: Get wipers working.
Probably do 2 piece dash to make the wiper work easier.
Make it easier to add AC/Heat in the future.

The Nut

#108 ·
Way to go, Bill! I sold my MK3 roadster several years back and it is a long and challenging journey to find that right person who will appreciate your car.

Garry

#109 ·
Yes, I really hate to see it go, wish I had room to keep them all!

The new owner is here on the list, a great guy and he's getting an awesome ride!

#110 ·
New motor mounts made and waiting to be welded in:

New Fidanza aluminum flywheel mounted up. Just waiting on a special pilot bearing before mounting up the custom 12" clutch. After that the engine will be ready to drop in for the 1st test fit. Aluminum flywheel looks good against the aluminum block.

1st race of the 2012 season is 1st of April. I hope it is ready as I have a championship to defend.

#112 ·
Installed mystery washers on steering shaft. Took the slop out of the steering.

Installed two more LEDS for rear interior lighting. I mounted one on either side of the back of the roll bar. They point down and back. I wired them to the combo interior light/switch that installed on the driver side of the rear hatch aluminum siding.

Anyone know where the instructions are for the fog lights?

#114 ·
Shaping headlight covers. I also removed and inspected the ECU for damage after drilling to mount the RH DOOR FRONT COVER. No damage. Check behind that aluminum before you drill EVERY hole! :001_smile:

#117 ·
body work

It's more like A couple of day's but, My friend Steve finished the spare tire cover, and my friend Larry come down and finished fitting the door's and built A nice little step to seal around the Russ Thompson quarter window's.
Chaz... Vehicle Car Auto part Engine

Metal

Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting Vehicle Auto part

#118 · (Edited)
I fit the fog lights. I'm using what came with the kit...boy are they a PITA to actually bolt up.

Also, why didn't anyone tell me the Ron Francis wiring kit does NOT provide for the fog lights!!! :eek:

Scott, I saw your suggestion but I want a separate switch for them. I actually have an unused on/off switch in my dash so I'm good to go that way but I had to pull the front harness and fish and splice an additional wire to both head light pig tails. I'll put that back in tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.