Factory Five Racing Forum banner

What did you do to your coupe today

222K views 2K replies 140 participants last post by  CJBergquist 
#1 ·
I was wandering through the " what did you do to your roadster today", and said to myself "self why the other guys and not us". I realize we are smaller in number but we were the world champs in 1965.
So I'll start. I am waiting for the coupe to arrive this week. I finished my body buck and rebuilt the power steering pump and I am going to go out to the shop and look at my Breeze hydro boost and mark the pressure line in and out, If I can figure out which is which and mark them, as such, since they did not come w/ directions. I will be posting pics when (hopefully) this week when coupe arrives.
Vinnie

#65 ·
I tried to finish off my interior lights. I got these things mounted and hooked up and they both went bad. I think I might have tightened them down too much. Anyhow, now I need two more and I can't for the life of me remember where I got them. I looked at all my hard copy receipts, email receipts, searched Ebay (22,500 results from "12v interior LED" search), Google and this forum since this is where I heard about them.

Anyone recognize this???

#66 ·
Chris, are there any part numbers on the light? Might help narrow the search a bit.

As for me, since I'm in final assembly I haven't been posting much. Today, we put the wipers and the driver's side door and windows in place. Pics of that and more in this week's blog post.

Dan

#71 ·
Went to the garage and lifted the hood and thought about resealing my drivers side header flange......then I remembered how much I hated doing it and fooling with these POS headers and that I had to work tonight so I put it off another day

#72 ·
today

Ive been trying to locate a short in the front wiring. Bought an inexpensive tool to help locate the area. I found so far its in the running light circuit.
I was going to raise the front end to trace out the loom. I cant get my floor jack under the frame. My jack wheels are 3-1/2 inches in dia. and the frame is lower. arrrgh.
I suspect my ride height is too low.

The Nut

#75 ·
floor jack

I took the saddle off. The wheels are too tall.
Tomorrows another day. I ll fire it up. I wanted to do it the old fashioned way. I have the steering wheel off and the switch panel hanging.

Also I m going to have to adjust the ride height. It really is probably too low.

The Nut

#76 ·
Meaty, I checked the manufacture and they say "12 volts DC, very low current draw (under 40 mA)" for these lights.

I think I messed them up when I screwed them down. I tried testing one today and I had the black wire on the Neg post of the battery and I inadvertently touched the chrome plastic shell against the Pos post and it lit up. So I think the positive side of the light is shorted to the chrome frame which would short to the mounting screw when installed...that's probably not real good.

#80 ·
I got the both headlight covers on. Then went to put the windows back on the doors. Since the body didn't go back on exactly the way it came off, the doors had to be realigned. Now my windows don't fit the way they did before. It looks like the easiest way fo fix this is to cut the frames apart and reshape them. Just when you think you're almost done,you end up taking two steps backward.

#82 ·
I finished up the rear interior light and put the head lights together then decided I didn't really need to cut the hole and fit them. I'll let the painter cut the hole and the fitting is straight forward. I also started on the backup light mount. Basically making a fiber glass oval tube 2" X 4" that the Mini Cooper light will mount inside. I'll cut an oval hole in the rear and glass the tube to the body. I mocked up the tube in Styrofoam and will glass in a couple layers of cloth. Once the glass is thick enough I use acetone to melt the Styrofoam and presto I have a tube. At least that is the plan.

#85 ·
Howdy,

OMG !!

I almost had a heat stroke today and it's Feburary 1st! Dang, it was warm and muggy today.

Been working 12hr shifts so I haven't work on my Spyder since Monday.

Paul

#87 ·
Hey Chris...

You should start a new thread on that light mounting...

I thought of doing something like that but I wasn't sure if The tube would prevent the body from coming off the frame...not sure if it will catch the frame as you pull the body off. I never paid attention to that clearance before.

Have you checked??

Marc

#88 ·
I took my coupe for a drive!!!
Feb 1st and it was 61 degrees in Columbus Ohio.
Pux Phil said 6 more weeks of winter, if this is winter, I can do 6 more weeks.
Still going at the basement finishing, at the half way mark tho.
Cant wait to get back working on the coupe

Chris

#92 ·
Changed the oil in it today. Started inspecting for the exhaust leak, think the sidepipe had slipped down a little. Pushed it up on the header further tightened the POS clamps down and drove it around the neighborhood, didnt seem to leak. Gotta find a fix for the headers/sidepipes soon.

#93 · (Edited)
Chris

I have seen that light used on what I thought was a FFR Coupe...I'll check my picture library but that won't tell me how it was done. Edit: No, it was a roadster...

I'll give it some thought but curious to see what you come up with.

Anyway the clearance can be checked?? I'm not planning to take my body off for awhile so I can't help that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.