Exceeding Heat Range for bulb seal...what could go wrong? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
FFCobra Captain

Exceeding Heat Range for bulb seal...what could go wrong?

I want to use some bulb seal to fill in a small gab around the custom mounted radiator in my 65 Mustang.

There will be about a 1/4 - 3/8" gap along the top and about a 1/2" - 3/4" gap along the bottom edge.

The bulb seal I'm finding only has a heat rating up to 150 degrees. Here's the stuff I'm finding.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#1120A5

With a 195degree thermostat, I'm sure the surface of the radiator will get hotter than 150.

What happens if EPDM rubber is exposed to temps beyond the rating? Will it just degrade over time, or will it melt & be a fire hazard?

The only other product I can find on McMaster's site that's good for temps up to 212 degrees is something made out of Buna-N foam, but it says it's not for outdoor use. I wonder if that just means it's not UV protected...but I won't really be exposed to UV rays under the hood of the car.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#12335A53

Anyone here a materials expert that can help me out?

Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FFR5857
349cu.in with Mass-Flo EFI, Edelbrock Performer Alum. Heads and other go-fast goodies
PS/PB/AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:23 PM

How about a neat bead of black hi-temp silicone?

MK II SOLD 03/2013: 302EFI,E303,GT40intake,Twisted Wedge heads,MSD ignition&distributor,4X4, 24#, 3.55, 8 .8.

MK IV Coyote Complete Kit #8075 arrived 6/26/13: 8.8 solid, 3.55:1, TKO 500, PS/PB/ABS/AC, 245/60R15 x 295/50R15, modular dash. Graduated May 2016.

MK IV Build Thread:
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:15 PM
FFCars Craftsman

I don't see an issue with EPDM sustaining 212F. It is regularly specified for applications up to 240F or 250F.
But taking a step back, is it necessary to seal that tiny gap? Likely not... If the radiator core is 18x18, you have 324 square inches. With the gaps you listed below, we are talking about around 17 square inches of area around the core or around 5% of the area of the core. I would call it job well done, as that is likely better than many OEM applications.

Brian's Build thread:

MK4, Coyote, TR-3650, 3-link, power steering/brakes, ABS

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:37 PM
Junior Charter Member

Garage
Filler strip

Buy a $2.00 Pool Noodle and cut thin strips to fit. Silicone in place.

Krusty

302/375hp, Holley 650DP, T5, IRS, pin drive, 15" Trigos, 3.55, Guardsman blue/ Wimbleton white
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 12:43 AM
Cobra Colorist

Silicone bulb seal will have a much higher heat rating. If the epdm has a self adhesive backing it will fail at lower temp but foam will not burst into flames...da Bat

Drink me handsome and take me home....Bartender, I'd like to buy the little lady a drink...better make it a double.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 02:33 AM

I have been looking to purchase a weber smoker, and one of the aftermarket accessories is a high temp bulb seal for the lid.

Normally I could help with a link, but I am on the road to LCS at the moment. I wi) try to flollow up soon.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
FFCobra Captain

Thanks...I'm really wondering if I even need to seal it up. I'm sure it would be better if the edge were closed off...but the gaps are only at the top & bottom and I can probably get them down to 1/4" - 1/8".

Will I really lose that much air flow to that small gap?

The radiator opening is 24x15 - so 360 sq inches of surface
Estimated gap is about 30 sq inches...so it is less than 10% of the surface area that could allow to bypass. Do airflow calculations work this way?

Dan

FFR5857
349cu.in with Mass-Flo EFI, Edelbrock Performer Alum. Heads and other go-fast goodies
PS/PB/AC
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:52 PM
Supreme Cobra Commander

Were they sealed originally? Plus you have much more radiator than the originals.
I don't think you'll any problems leaving it as is.

-Tim-

-Welcome to Georgia. We shoot first.
-I'm so broke I can hardly pay attention
~Me~

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 08:24 AM
Snake Farmer

Garage
I'm sure a grille in front of a rad reduces airflow, more than that which would by-pass your rad from small gaps like that.

Look at the gaps around this guys radiator..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement