Homemade top in progress - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

3Thanks
  • 1 Post By Sanford
  • 1 Post By noclot
  • 1 Post By Irwin Ayes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Homemade top in progress

I have about $350 and 4 months time off and on into this top. Frame is steel bar, mid bows are electrical conduit, wooden header bow, sheet metal for the panels behind the doors, plywood and plexiglass rear window (cut in to sections to fit behind seats) and top is regular vinyl. The frame folds and fits in the trunk. I sewed it myself on wife's sewing machine. Plan is to do some fine tuning, run the top this summer and if no issues arise redo the top in better material and make the windows next winter. At 60 mph the top is very stable. I used two u bolts to attach it to the roll bar. . Look forward to having some shade thus summer.
Bill

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2149.jpg (240.9 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2145.jpg (240.2 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2151.jpg (238.1 KB, 256 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 03:11 AM
FFCobra Fanatic

Looks good. That is my future plan to make a top..

Bill46 thanked this.

331, RPM intake, TW heads, TF STG II cam, 3:55, powerjection III, 3550 trans, NT-03M Enkei 18x9.5 & 10.5, Goodyear Rival 275-35 \ 315-30, 3-link, Fast Freddies PS, ABS, 381 RWHP 361 RWTq
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 03:49 AM

It looks like it was done by a pro. Very nice
Bill46 thanked this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:56 AM
FFCobra Craftsman

Are those rear windows open? If so, based on my hardtop w/ the windows out, you will love it.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Craig, the windows are not intended to open. They are held in by 4 clips each but can be removed if needed. I do plan on putting a rear facing scoop on each side panel that I think should provide adequate ventilation. Would like to be able to turn vents on or off if I can find the right hardware. Thanks for the comments
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 05:12 PM
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Hey Bill, been wondering what you've been up to. Put many miles on her yet?? Top looks really good, if I didn't know better I'd think you were an engineering type.

MK3#5902 picked up 1/13/07, 88 donor 306 w/b303 EFI purchased 3/31/07,first start and gocart ride 9/20/07 color- Ford Performance White w/ True Blue Metalic stripes. Inspected and registered 7/31/08
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave, no engineering in my background. Just a retired bean counter. Actually right after the inspection I took a 3 month consulting position that turned into 9 months so not much time for the car, most went into the top. Just now getting around to fine tuning it and some improvements I want to make. Odometer not yet calibrated so not sure about mileage but just local runs, less than 500 in total. If you are free next week, how about meeting up? Thursday works best for me. Let me know.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:48 AM

Looks great Bill! Any more pics of frame/mounting? I have been considering a very similar design, just need time to get to it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:48 AM
Official OLD GUY
FFCars Captain

More info

PM sent . . .

Doc

little block, BIG BLOCK . . .
HUMMMMMMM?
FFR3712K (POPSDRM) in Lost Wages, NV.
MKII, 5.0, "Tubular" GT40-EFI, E-303, T5, 17" 5-Lug Chrome Cobra "R's", Nitto 275/315's, PBR 4 wheel Disks, Full Tubular/Coil-Over suspension, 20:1 Flaming River, 3.73's, 3-Link, Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, Custom Footbox Air vents, Extended PS footbox, Custom Turn Signals, Custom 4-into-4 headers, Non-Donor build, Ford Royal Blue Pearl w/ Arctic White stripes.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:16 PM
Junior Charter Member

Home made top.

Very nice looking top Bill. I have been looking at different bimini tops, but none as nice as yours. Any chance you might produce others for sale?
Irwin

CanuckSnake thanked this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Irwin, thanks for the compliment but the top is not ready for sale. I would rather answer questions for anyone who wants to copy this top. any suggestions to improve it would also be appreciated, lets make it better together!
Big Blocker, I attached my header bow to the windshield frame using (4) 1&1/2 inch screws with heads that fit into the track on the windshield top. I used a 2 piece wooden header bow cut to the contour of the windshield and routed out the front bottom edge to accept some track and awning rope I got from Sailrite.com (part nos 103299 and 120147). The top material is double stitched to the outside edge of the awning rope. See the pics below.
Big Blocker and CanuckSnake and Irwin check out the attached pics. My biggest concern is when I redo the top in better material, it won't stretch as much as the vinyl so it may be hard to get it to fit as well. Realistically it will take 20 to 30 mins to put up. Also check out the videos on the Factory Five site and Rodtops site to see how the Factory Five top is built..
Pics will be in next post
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

sorry guys, i can't add pics will try to create new post

Last edited by Bill46; 06-17-2017 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Pictures
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:03 PM
Junior Charter Member

Home made top

Hi Bill; sorry if this reply is out of order. I was speaking with someone who gave me several ideas. He has a past history of sailing and mentioned checking with some sailboat/ sail construction companies. He said they use, and usually have on hand, various materials that hold up to all kinds of weather conditions. They also have various stainless steel components/ fittings for the braces and attachment points. I too ground down some bolts to fit in the windshield groove but have been perplexed about the overall height above the windshield. The other problem, obviously, is the windshield bow. I tried "rod tops" to inquire about purchasing their bow but they said NO ! Thanks for the info. thus far.
Irwin
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Irwin, no problem with the reply. Sailrite makes sailboat equipment. That is the company where I got my supplies. They may be the company your contact is referring to. Regarding the header bow, I got a piece of wood and cut my own with a handheld power jigsaw. Took a couple of tries to get it right.
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement