Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Flowmaster Slimlines installed

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  steno 
#1 · (Edited)
just finished installing slimlines as i was having a hard time with state inspection. Found a local guy to weld them up for $200. they are not polished so took a 3 hour workout on the buffing wheel to get them to shine. had to remove the louvers to access hardware and adjust the hangers but install went smooth. These cars will never be quiet.....that was what i was afraid of....but the slimlines do remove the high pitch from the FF stock pipes. just finished a 3 hour cruise with the bride and they are definitely quieter at cruising speed but still turns heads in first and second gear......and third.....and fourth....and fifth. I installed Everson's shields not because i needed them but because i like their look.

#4 ·
Crappy weather until thursday. Will post as soon as i can.......

#6 ·
Just curious but was db level the concern for the inspector? Surprised if that is the case as NH I thought was fairly lenient on that. Just look at all the Harley's out there with straight pipes.

#10 ·
ya i know "live free or die". i think bikes have a 92 or 94db limit. cars have just "unusual noise" but the cops are cracking down on it. these pipes reduce the high pitch and work great at cruising speeds.

#11 ·
Directional

love these pipes. quiet at cruising but still bark when asked to. But dumb a$$ me installed one backwards. Flowmaster says they are directional and should only be concerned if i was on the track. no markings/label on the pipes themselves nor anything in the box. aggravating because it could have been avoidable.....but not my last mistake for sure.

#12 ·
I've put over 5k miles on my slimlines. I love the tone and was approached by a few folks at London about which pipes I had. They loved the note!

#13 ·
I buddy of mine is putting a pair of these on his car and there was nothing to indicate which end was which. Too late to switch now as they are over being welded. So he's got three possibilities. Both on backwards, one right and one backwards or both right. It'll be fun to see if there is a notable difference of any type. Maybe Flowmaster decided it doesn't matter and just gave up with the inlet stickers.

Frank

#14 ·
they said the performance will not be "optimized" if you are doing 1/4 miles, for cruising it is fine if both or one is backwards. But then again what are they supposed to say??
Your buddy will love the sound especially if he had the F5 stock pipes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.