Motivation for New/Old Builders - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

8Thanks
  • 1 Post By P Wyman
  • 1 Post By CraigS
  • 1 Post By KDubU
  • 1 Post By wareaglescott
  • 1 Post By bushman
  • 1 Post By Forbye4
  • 1 Post By tranger
  • 1 Post By Avalanche325

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Cobra Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

Motivation for New/Old Builders

I just want to share a few shots of my Mark III Roadster I took last night. Building a car is hard work and can be frustrating at times. I know during my four year build process, there were times when I wanted to throw the towel in and just say enough! Well, it has been 9 driving seasons since mine has been 100% road legal and the thrill is the very same each time I put the keys in and fire her up.

So if you have lost a bit of motivation in your build, remember, ask for help, (there are plenty past builders out there who would jump at helping out, ASK!) or find that one small project you can finish. Small steps forward will help get you there (Elephant principle here, How do you eat an Elephant? One bite at a time!) . I also put the K.I.S.S. principle into full effect late in my build. I'll give a great example, I had grand plans to have wipers and heat in my car. Just a few words of wisdom, Rain-x is better than wipers and adding heat is over rated when nothing but heat comes into your cockpit from the engine compartment. Remember building one of these things is not easy but the satisfaction when you are finished is awesome! Plus you get a really cool car!

Cheers,

Pat

JoeE thanked this.

4630RD Explorer 302, Holley SA570, FRPP B-cam, 4 to 4's, SAI Mod, 3 Link, Bullitt wheels, Baer Brakes, 3.73 gears, HD T-5, I2 wiring, Koni Coilovers, Classic Gauges, Gas-N S/S pipes. Jaguar Racing Green w/ Silver stripes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PM me if you live in Upstate New York and get added to the "Upstate Cobras" email list. 40+ members!

Last edited by P Wyman; 05-24-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 06:26 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

great pics of a really nice car!

P Wyman thanked this.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 07:45 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Very nice pics! Yup frustration can set in, when it does take a break and ask on here and the other forum for advice. Once your build is done and you're on the road, it's a great feeling.
P Wyman thanked this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 09:33 PM

great pics!
P Wyman thanked this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 02:38 AM
Junior Charter Member

Just a quick note on the KISS principle, not all states allow for no wipers and some even require defrosters. Best to check out your state requirements for kit cars prior to inspection and registering.
P Wyman thanked this.

4.6 DOHC w/ 48IDF Webers, dry sump, IRS, T56, 17" Vintage Pin drive
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 04:44 AM
Junior Charter Member

Yessir! Great post Pat, I bought partial (mostly) build 123 months ago. With the help of this forum, great advice, and some ingenuity I have been enjoying the permanent grin on my face since! The leaks, the challenges, the fun make it all worthwhile. I have one repair as we speak. A forum brother helped me out on that one, I just haven't installed it yet. Over the years I have met many people from this forum. Great rides, great people.

There is no destination with these cars, it's all about the journey.
P Wyman thanked this.

Mike, FFR 4263 MKII, Red/Silver, 331 and Loads of FUN!!!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 11:40 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to tranger
I agree with P WYMAN 100% . Keep at it and you'll reward yourself with many happy miles of fun !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 143 Roadster.jpg (250.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 141Roadster.jpg (246.8 KB, 49 views)
P Wyman thanked this.

MKIII.1,FFR6746, 331 ROUSH,T5,3.73,TEAM III 15"WHEELS, GOODYEAR 235/295
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Cobra Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman View Post
Just a quick note on the KISS principle, not all states allow for no wipers and some even require defrosters. Best to check out your state requirements for kit cars prior to inspection and registering.
You are correct. NYS is one of those states that require wipers and defrost. I was able to meet those requirements by using a Speedway "clip on" T-bucket manual wipers and a 12 volt hand held marine defroster. The more (correct) information that is shared between builders, the easier the build. Checking with the state inspection agency is key.

Pat

4630RD Explorer 302, Holley SA570, FRPP B-cam, 4 to 4's, SAI Mod, 3 Link, Bullitt wheels, Baer Brakes, 3.73 gears, HD T-5, I2 wiring, Koni Coilovers, Classic Gauges, Gas-N S/S pipes. Jaguar Racing Green w/ Silver stripes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PM me if you live in Upstate New York and get added to the "Upstate Cobras" email list. 40+ members!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 05:42 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Great pics and a great bit of advice about always moving forward and asking for help.

I will have to disagree on both the wipers and heater. Florida rain quickly overwhelms Rain-x. No, a heater won't keep your ears warm, but it keeps everything below your shoulders that way. I use both all the time.

P.S. I like your splitter!
P Wyman thanked this.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 07:02 PM

I am getting the itch again, more and more each day. I'm not sure that I ever lost it, but it forcibly got put on hold late in my wife's pregnancy and through the birth of our second son. Unfortunately, it's been easier to let it sit than it has been to jump back in, and life has been pretty busy. Seeing these amazing pictures of FFRs in the wild REALLY helps get my blood turning toward it again.

At this point, what I need to get somewhat back on track is to get off my hind-end and go out and clean up the garage/shop. It's gotten to be a wreck through several non-Cobra projects with tools and bits everywhere, and that's probably the biggest thing keeping me from heading out after the kids are in bed and working. If it were clean, I know I could at least piddle through a project or two.

The BIG bonus is that we are building a new house, and it will have a 25x40' detached shop/garage in addition to our regular garage. SO much more space than my current single car garage housing the project. It will actually give me space to get out from underneath a body buck, spread my tools and tables around, and get some work done (along with space for a lift in the future)!! As an added motivation, it means I have to get this thing in roller sometime before we move so I can easily trailer it over.

--Nathan

MKIV Complete Kit(order placed: 4/5/16; order completion: 5/14/16; delivered: 5/24/16): 3-link, PC, cutouts, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars; 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, wind wings/visors sourced during separate 50/50 sale; side pipes and headers sourced through Gan-n
Drive train Plan: 427w w/carb, TKO600, 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes
Paint Plan: Under consideration (probably grey/titanium with black stripes)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 08:02 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Five minutes in the passenger seat would "motivate"...the Pope
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 08:50 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Get out in the garage and you could be doing this soon!

https://youtu.be/o_Qwhu9Ma0o

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement