Future selling prices on used FF Cobras ? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

6Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Future selling prices on used FF Cobras ?

Lately(at the major car auctions) original (untouched) muscle cars are bringing as much or more than ground up restored muscle cars.
Question is.These FFCobras (each & everyone of them) ARE "originals" .Will the same hold true with them ,in the future ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Never say never.I doubt any of us (including me) back in the 60s would of guessed a $7,000 original would now be selling for Millions.

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Lay off the weed
An original FFR is never going to be worth a million

Rob Baker

FFR-4661 Kit picked up Sept 27, 2003, three-link, coilovers, \'92 donor build, first start/go-cart 12/13/2004, street legal 6/15/2005.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:22 PM
Senior Charter Member

Here is one observation.

One difference I see between the Originals or the true Muscle Cars (3-Two GTO, Hemi, Lightweights, racing history examples, extreme rarity like XJ13s), etc............. is the huge numbers of FFRs. Yes there were thousands of 3-Two GTO, but how many survive?

Fifteen years in, Factory Five is probably up to the 9000s or very close. Those numbers will keep climbing. Some who do not have the time or desire to build will always be around to purchase the really good builds. But for most FFR owners it was the challenge of building and building in our own combinations of power & color.

The easy availability of for sale examples and the build quality will ultimately determine future prices.

As for my "used" FFR, I have "driven" much of the value out of her. At 80,000 miles of wear and tear, paint dings and cat hair in the carpet for when I didn't close the windows etc I could sell her for half of what I have in her and call it GOOD (please don't call with an offer). I've got the Smiles Per Mile and that was what it is always about for us.

Will the next owner take her apart for Restoration? I think only if they are looking for the challenge! Probably not to improve the investment.

But it will be interesting to see how others respond about values.

PHILLIP, SemperFi, They call the wind MARIAH.
"Against all enemies, foreign and domestic"
Marines lend an air of dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. FFR#3175, Wimbledon/Guardsman, 302 Carb, CobraEarl's Footbox & Touring Trunk, Snapless Tonneau Cover, Luggage Rack, Whitby Hardtop.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:29 PM
Senior Charter Member

Here is an example TODAY at Bring A Trailer.

Factory Five Cobra Replica | Bring a Trailer

One day left of the auction and this very nice Mark II is all the way up to $20,000.

Is it worth investing at this price? Probably not. But DEFINITELY worth the cost to put some miles on that baby and enjoy her.

PHILLIP, SemperFi, They call the wind MARIAH.
"Against all enemies, foreign and domestic"
Marines lend an air of dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. FFR#3175, Wimbledon/Guardsman, 302 Carb, CobraEarl's Footbox & Touring Trunk, Snapless Tonneau Cover, Luggage Rack, Whitby Hardtop.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

10,20 even 100 thousand FF Cobras is like a drop of water in the Pacific .Compared to 7.5 Billion.
And counting > World Population Clock: 7.5 Billion People (2017) - Worldometers
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:34 PM
PSB
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Captain

So what would constitute a "original", seeing as every builder does their car a little differently than anyone else. How would concours judging go where the judges look at every bolt to see if it has the original finish, if the overspray is factory correct, if the brand of tires is one that was offered by the factory, etc. Sorry, not going to happen with any component car.
CDXXVII thanked this.

Race Car Replicas Superlite Coupe
Hunter Kit Cars #37 - SOLD
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:28 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

I don't think FFRs will ever be collectibles as they are replicas. The terms investment and replica rarely go together. They would likely be in the same realm as an Arntz Cobra replica today. No one is collecting those.

The "unrestored" thing is just the latest trend for higher end collectors. That lets the rich guy say "I have one of these and you don't", which is what it's all about in those circles. It used to be that "unrestored " meant "unrestored and like new condition". But, of course, there are few of those, so people try to jump on the bandwagon and start buying cars in #3 and #4 condition that NEED restoration, and applying the same label. Of course sellers are laughing at these idiots all the way to the bank. There is nothing original about rust, dents, peeling paint, pitted chrome, and torn interiors. As soon as that trend changes to the next thing, I'll bet most of those ragged out cars get sold for a huge loss and restored by someone else. These are the same guys taking big losses on hemi powered cars that they overpaid for a few years back.

FFRS are meant to be driven and enjoyed. They are not investment pieces.
jolsen42 thanked this.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:19 PM
MJN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIAH View Post
I could sell her for half of what I have in her and call it GOOD (please don't call with an offer). I've got the Smiles Per Mile and that was what it is always about for us.
If you are building / buying expecting profit or even break even you will most likely be disappointed. But think of spending $35K to $40K on a 'weekend fun car' like a new Mustang GT. 10 years from now it will be worth a fraction of what you paid for it, most likely less than half. Build an FFR for $35K to $40K and 10 years from now you may not be able to get quite that for it but you won't be suffering anything like the depreciation of the Mustang and I will guarantee that the FFR will put way more smiles on your face and leave you with way more stories to tell.

Mike....
FFR2100 - 331 With Kenne Bell 1500 Blower. T5 and 8.8 w\' 3.08\'s. Best ET 11.71 @ 117
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:25 PM
*** CAD Librarian ***
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

I've been watching these prices for over 10 years.

0 miles = break even or make a few thousand on a build
10,000 miles = lose a few grand on the build
20,000 miles = lose $5K on the build
30,000 miles = lose $5-10K on the build
40,000 miles = lose $10-15K on a build

it levels off after 50,000 miles.

the above changes with build quality and customizations, a $60K parts car will keep more value.

I have noticed that cars with Fuel Injection depreciate slower, cars with Coyote motors will depreciate even slower.

_
_

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....

Last edited by NiceGuyEddie; 05-18-2017 at 07:07 PM.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:30 PM
FFCars Craftsman

The logic isn't there. The original cars are so valuable because they were produced in limited numbers and are no longer produced, hence limited numbers forcing price increases. There are still many companies producing replicas of the cobra. So long as you can go buy a replica cobra, the value of your used cobra replica will be lower than the cost of that new replica. It doesn't matter who produced it, the replica will always be a replica and essentially valued at the sum of it's parts. Yes, it is true the MK1 is no longer produced, but the MK4 is very similar in appearance and function, and the MK4 is a closer, more accurate replica. Unlike a corvette, where the style and function has evolved over time, making the 53 corvette stingray completely different from the current C7.

If demand for cobra replicas spiked to an unforeseen high, no doubt factory five and other manufacturers would increase production to satisfy the market demand, just like Chevrolet does when demand increases for the corvette.

Having said that, compare the depreciation NiceGuyEddie listed below with a base corvette and see which is the better investment in the first 3, 5, 10 and 15 years. I bet in 10 years, the corvette will be worth 1/4 to 1/3rd the original retail price. If the car is popular and loved, you might get lucky enough for it to be worth equal it's original retail value 40+ years later.

Brian's Build thread:

MK4, Coyote, TR-3650, 3-link, power steering/brakes, ABS
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:09 PM
*** CAD Librarian ***
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuff View Post

Having said that, compare the depreciation NiceGuyEddie listed below with a base corvette and see which is the better investment in the first 3, 5, 10 and 15 years. I bet in 10 years, the corvette will be worth 1/4 to 1/3rd the original retail price. If the car is popular and loved, you might get lucky enough for it to be worth equal it's original retail value 40+ years later.
DING DING DING DING

This is EXACTLY why I can't get myself to sell! Say I got $35K for my car and I bought a pristine Honda S2000, a custom Miata, or Z06 Corvette (possible for 35K) 10 years later, my money is out the window!

_
_

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....

post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Cobra sold for 13.7 Million >> The First Shelby Cobra Sold for $13.75 Million
Whats "logical" about this.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:16 PM
Unconventional Builder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real time recon View Post
Because it was #1 and to that buyer that is the value to them. When it comes to human's making purchasing decisions you can't use logical in the same sentence. Everyone of us has a different utility barometer that controls our purchases.

Our cars aren't even in good production car's realm. To the average car guy we are just a kit car, they are correct they were not assembled by a major manufacturer. The best example, it was posted here, some guy built a 60's Ferrari from NOS and even recreated the aluminium body. He used a more reliable modern engine but it is still a kit car, not a Ferrari.

I bought and built my car to run it into the ground. I still pour money into it and thrash it. I love the experience so for about $2k a year I am one happy guy. So doing the math I have over $30k in mine, 10 years x $2,000 = -$20,000 if I were to sell and I got around $15k I would be satisfied.

Donor $2,500 -Kit $18,000 -Extra "needs stuff" $100's -$1,000's
300+hp tagged race car PRICELESS !! Best ET 12.27 @ 113.49 mph N/A
Mk III #5294 -302 AFR 185 Heads, Levy Front and Rear control arms, 3-link, 3.55, 11" GT front and 11" Cobra rear brakes, SAI, UTC exhaust No More EFI: Now Quick Fuel 650

“It is not the giver of life that destroys human life. It is the receivers of life who do not live in the rational, honest way called for by the creator's behavioral law. Instead they live as they please and finally are forced to depart this life.” Richard W. Wetherill

YouTube Videos:

My Pics:

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:08 AM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

From where I'm sitting, here's the problem:

Roadster for sale 16k billings mt

MkIII, Dart 427 with FE expansion tank, mechanical throttle linkage, Fortes' triple masters, TKO-600, 3.08 Torsen Aluminum IRS, money pit

Last edited by glenn; 05-19-2017 at 12:41 AM.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:20 AM

No matter the age, condition or quality of an FFR "Cobra" ... it will never be more than an "original replica". No REPLICA appreciates in value like an original. They are built to be driven and replicate the Cobra experience w/o destroying an original.They will never be a collectible.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:24 AM
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
I don't think FFRs will ever be collectibles as they are replicas. The terms investment and replica rarely go together. They would likely be in the same realm as an Arntz Cobra replica today. No one is collecting those.

The "unrestored" thing is just the latest trend for higher end collectors. That lets the rich guy say "I have one of these and you don't", which is what it's all about in those circles. It used to be that "unrestored " meant "unrestored and like new condition". But, of course, there are few of those, so people try to jump on the bandwagon and start buying cars in #3 and #4 condition that NEED restoration, and applying the same label. Of course sellers are laughing at these idiots all the way to the bank. There is nothing original about rust, dents, peeling paint, pitted chrome, and torn interiors. As soon as that trend changes to the next thing, I'll bet most of those ragged out cars get sold for a huge loss and restored by someone else. These are the same guys taking big losses on hemi powered cars that they overpaid for a few years back.

FFRS are meant to be driven and enjoyed. They are not investment pieces.

Well spoken
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:05 AM
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIAH View Post
Here is an example TODAY at Bring A Trailer.

Factory Five Cobra Replica | Bring a Trailer

One day left of the auction and this very nice Mark II is all the way up to $20,000.

Is it worth investing at this price? Probably not. But DEFINITELY worth the cost to put some miles on that baby and enjoy her.

$24,150 with 17 hours to go. -- Chuck

Mark 4 FFR 8687 3 link, Konis, tubular LCA's, Carbed 347, AFR 185's, Comp HR274XE Roller Cam, T-5Z.
Gas'N stainless headers and side pipes, 3.55 rearend, Hydroboost, SN-95 spindles, 4 wheel disc brakes, Power steering, Classic instruments, Competition style dash, Guardsman Blue w/ Wimbledon White stripes, heated seats, heater, etc.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:07 PM
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Captain

Garage
For years I played in the Mustang and Shelby Mustang market. Those cars are classics, built the same, bona-fide collectibles. I got out of that market as it started to explode, and the cars vanished from the road. The level off equipment and options as ORIGINALLY built drive the value. And they had a specific list of what options could be had. Our FFR's have a virtually limitless choice of options, build possibilities, and combinations. No two are the same, so it is actually not easy to pin an exact $$$ on a given FFR. Buyers market every day.

The CSX2000 and 3000 Cobras are such an extreme example of desirability, value, limited production, you cannot use them in a logical debate about collector car values. #1 (CSX2000) is equivalent to the real Mona Lisa being offered at auction. It does not compute.

I agree with all above, our cars are unique, low-buck, and fun. The split second you look at is as an investment, the fun factor is gone. The true secret is to do a good build the way you want it, and drive the wheels off of it. (just look at me and my unique FFR!)

Like buying a Miata. A fun car, modified to taste, never appreciating.

FFR5148K MkII Roadster, MCRP 331 CI 415 HP w/ carb, 3-link, disc brakes, SN95 Front brakes, FR500 Wheels. Still mostly Gel-Coat Grey! Now with roll cage and more track stuff, wrecked, beaten, blown-up, man-handled, cut up, butchered, Freaky body mods, sat on by HOOTERS girls, still barely street legal.

Winter 2016 Updates: Electric steering IN!!!! Thinking about EFI
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:34 PM
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner

Not a bad return for a pretty typical donor build. Drove it a while, probably recovered his monetary investment.

Greg

FFR4373RD MK3, nondonor, DIY options/mods/paint, Lexus indigo/Viper silver, Hydroboost PS&PB/discs/ABS, AC/heat, 3-link/Konis, FMS302E, Holley 600DP/Airgap, 4X4 exhaust, Halibrand deep lip chrome CobraIII, TeamIII spinners, rollbars: chrome full & single

post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Not a waxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Sloggett View Post
$24,150 with 17 hours to go. -- Chuck
Old straight up donor Mk2...at that the seller is getting a heck of a price and the buyer will have a lot of fun. Looks like a win-win to me (not bad for most of us either when this caliber of build can bring in that amount of money)!

Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:26 PM
Junior Charter Member

I for one will never sell mine, its been a major dream of mine to build, own and drive one. I plan on keeping it for a long time. I have also been informed by my daughter that it WILL be hers eventually!

Picked up Kit Jan 22/2017! I am having fun now!!
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:08 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real time recon View Post
That has much more to do with provenance than the car being a Cobra. #1 of anything that gets collected is usually the most valuable. Then you get the "Owned by Shelby himself", plus the car is definitely "historically significant". The car has a Hollywood type story of being painted several times to fool the press, etc. The car has never been sold before and may not sell again. Lots of value adders there for collectors. Then comes the fact that there are a couple hundred at most people that own original Cobras. Of that small club, only ONE guy gets to say he has #1. Sort of a "mine is bigger than yours" mentality.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:35 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKleiner View Post
Old straight up donor Mk2...at that the seller is getting a heck of a price and the buyer will have a lot of fun. Looks like a win-win to me (not bad for most of us either when this caliber of build can bring in that amount of money)!

Jeff
Sold for $25,500 + BAT fee. -- Chuck

Mark 4 FFR 8687 3 link, Konis, tubular LCA's, Carbed 347, AFR 185's, Comp HR274XE Roller Cam, T-5Z.
Gas'N stainless headers and side pipes, 3.55 rearend, Hydroboost, SN-95 spindles, 4 wheel disc brakes, Power steering, Classic instruments, Competition style dash, Guardsman Blue w/ Wimbledon White stripes, heated seats, heater, etc.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 12:26 AM
Official OLD GUY
FFCars Captain

Other side of the coin

OK . . I'm just going to throw this out there for consideration.

I built my car as an investment . . .

That being said, allow me to explain.

I built it as an investment in to my [own] well being. I built it myself to prove that I could do it - to myself. An investment in confidence.

I built it to invest in life and all the adventures it can provide . . .
Nothing will bring a smile to your face and put a step in your heart like these cars do. An investment in adventure.

I don't really care what my car sells for after I'm done with it if I know that whoever buys it will be starting their own adventure.

I'm NOT done with it yet . . . 14 years driving it and I'm NOT done with it yet!

I have too much invested in it to quit now and give up the joy, exhilaration it provides, smiles, and the [F5] family I've acquired along the way.

I look at my car as an investment in life - and that's priceless. So with that in mind, you can't afford it . . .

Doc
CraigS and jdav thanked this.

little block, BIG BLOCK . . .
HUMMMMMMM?
FFR3712K (POPSDRM) in Lost Wages, NV.
MKII, 5.0, "Tubular" GT40-EFI, E-303, T5, 17" 5-Lug Chrome Cobra "R's", Nitto 275/315's, PBR 4 wheel Disks, Full Tubular/Coil-Over suspension, 20:1 Flaming River, 3.73's, 3-Link, Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, Custom Footbox Air vents, Extended PS footbox, Custom Turn Signals, Custom 4-into-4 headers, Non-Donor build, Ford Royal Blue Pearl w/ Arctic White stripes.
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 10:22 AM
Husband/Father/Son

Since the beginning of time (automotivly speaking), car prices rise and fall at the whim of of the market, and the interested buyer pool. As such, and I've always said this, if you are looking at your Cobra replica as a momentary investment that will pay off in the future, you got into this hobby for the wrong reason. The main reason is a simple one, every day, newer kits and being built, with better equipment than a car build even as little as 6 months ago. Times that by 25+ years, and you'll see the used Cobra market growing, inventory wise. Now with that said, you can drill it down to a very basic mindset of "supply and demand", as the supply of used Cobras on the market goes up, and the demand for them stays steady (actually documented as falling over the last 5 years), you'll have two sets of sellers, those that have to sell for various reasons, and those that want to sell for various reasons, with those two groups and their personal motivations for "making a sale", the prices will swing wildly vs their motivations, thus making "your investment" a poor one......

Just my two cents worth.

Bill S.
jolsen42 thanked this.

Live simply, care deeply, and have a wonderful life!
Instead of being part of the problem, why not be a part of a successful and positive solution.

post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 04:08 PM
FFCars Captain

I always tell people that it cost me 40k to build but if I wanted to I could easily sell it for 25k. I don't drive mine much but for that reason I have no desire to sell.

If you don't think it's real, go ahead and step in front of it!

mark III, 302 crate, 670 Holley carb, 3 link, non-donor.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:54 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
OK . . I'm just going to throw this out there for consideration.

I built my car as an investment . . .

That being said, allow me to explain.

I built it as an investment in to my [own] well being. I built it myself to prove that I could do it - to myself. An investment in confidence.

I built it to invest in life and all the adventures it can provide . . .
Nothing will bring a smile to your face and put a step in your heart like these cars do. An investment in adventure.

I don't really care what my car sells for after I'm done with it if I know that whoever buys it will be starting their own adventure.

I'm NOT done with it yet . . . 14 years driving it and I'm NOT done with it yet!

I have too much invested in it to quit now and give up the joy, exhilaration it provides, smiles, and the [F5] family I've acquired along the way.

I look at my car as an investment in life - and that's priceless. So with that in mind, you can't afford it . . .

Doc
Well said. I just turned 10 years in mine and there were another 2 years in my first one. Every once in a while at a rainy autocross I am really jealous of a couple of friends in C5 and C6 vettes. I could sell mine and get at least a C5. But, after I put a set of shocks and a stiffer front bar, and a set of RE71Rs what the heck would I do? Try different alignment settings. No, heck no, my current quest is to make the FFR water tight.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 11:10 PM

Garage
I really don't care what it's worth. And I'm sure I could have gotten a better return by prudently investing the money I put into mine, but I'll tell you one thing, I get a hell of a lot more enjoyment buckling in and taking some hot laps than I do looking at a 401k statement.
JoeE thanked this.

FFR #7124 Mk 3.1, Levy 5 link, LCA's & brakes, 17" Halibrands, electric PS, SAI, Eibach springs, BOSS 427w, webers, hood louvers, tilt front. Delivered 12/23/09, 1st start 02/19/12. 1st go cart 03/03/12. Titled 10/3/12.

"I'm basing it on a collective interpretation of these particular cars. And whatever the hell I like". The Federalist Patriot

SL-C in progress....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement