Noisy lifters, what am I missing? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

3Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Charter Member

Noisy lifters, what am I missing?

Back ground - I converted the engine (1990 302) to carb from EFI. Went with TFI heads and cam, Edelbrock Intake, QFT carb and MSD Ignition system and new roller lifters. All went well, started easily and performed great. After one or two oil changes the lifters became noisy at start up and don't quiet down for up to 2 minutes?
I use Motocraft filters, run 5-30W Castrol oil but the noise at start up still persists. So this weekend I decided remove the intake and the lifters, clean check and refit to see what the result would be. Firstly, I noticed that about half of the lifters had bled down, not unusual I know but why do some bleed down and others not? Anyway cleaned and re-installed, set the pre-load (half turn) which works out to be about 0.060" of the 0.250" lifter range.
Fired up and still noisy as before!!
Hopefully someone else has been through this loop and can help with some suggestions?

Cheers, John

306, TFS170 heads, TFS cam, Edelbrock RPM intake, QFI SS650 carb, MSD distributor and ignition. COBRA \'Lotus 7\' style seats, custom interior, T5 with mid-shift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:25 AM
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

May be a long shot, but did you change to roller rockers? If so, do you have clearance between the rocker and valve cover?

Not even sure its possible, but if the lift for either intake or exhaust is enough to cause the rocker to contact the valve cover, could it limit how much the oil can fill the lifter. Easy to check/rule out by looking under the valve cover for marks.

Mk III 4880: 3:55 - 3 link, T-5, 308, FAST EZ EFI, Comp Cams XE266HR, Edelbrock RPM Heads.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Charter Member

Thanks Geoff, I did fit taller valve covers. Strange thing is they quieten down after a while and all is good?

306, TFS170 heads, TFS cam, Edelbrock RPM intake, QFI SS650 carb, MSD distributor and ignition. COBRA \'Lotus 7\' style seats, custom interior, T5 with mid-shift.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:19 AM
Senior Charter Member

Shot In The Dark...

I would check to see that you are getting full oil flow to the lifters. That could cause noise at start up until pressure, or volume build and fill them.

When the lifters operate there is a point when the fill port is closed as the lifer rises on the cam lobe. When that has happened I would expect little to no bleed down.

HTH Regards, Rick.

Driving a car like this is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

"Too Much Is Just Right" $helby
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:01 AM
Not a waxer

Here's a thought---You said that this began "after one or two oil changes". You did not elaborate whether you have subsequently changed the oil and filter since the noise first began. Oil filters incorporate an anti drain back valve which does exactly what the name implies and keeps oil from draining back to the pan when the engine shuts down which would result in a dry (potentially noisy) start. If the same filter has been in place since the noise first began it may be that the ADB valve is not working. A new filter followed by a couple starts (the first to initially refill the system) will answer whether that is the culprit.

Good luck,
Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:56 PM

What Jeff said makes perfect sense.
I have also had some sporadic trouble with aftermarket roller lifters collapsing when the engine sits. I found that adding a can of STP helps reduce that, also running 10w30 oil. 5w-xx may be just a bit too thin for the increased tolerance of the lifters.

Regards - Randy

Racecar & HotRod Fab/Support
GT40 331 - Weber IDAs, G50 5spd ((sold))
2017 Ford Raptor / 2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:06 PM

What brand lifters did you use? I'm assuming it ran fine for a few thousand miles? Did the noise start with the valve cover change? What you are describing is indicative of a lifter with loose clearances, or low oil pressure to the lifter galley. All lifters will bleed down while sitting if that valve is open. But should pump up within a few revolutions. Heavier oil may be your simple solution. Debris in the lifter can cause them not to pump up correctly, but since they do quieten down after a while I don't think that is the problem.

MkIV #8661 delivered 8/3/2015 347, stack injection, AFR 195 heads, 516 Horsepower,alloy T5, engine build and dyno 2/18/2016, First start 3/25/2016, Go Cart 4/11/2016, Paint 12/31/2016, Completed 1/25/2017
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:07 PM
Official OLD GUY
FFCars Captain

Hot or cold

Does this issue occur when the engine has been brought up to operating temp, shut off for a while and then re-started?

Or is this only a first thing in the morning "cold" start?

And - I agree with what Jeff posted above, could be a bad filter allowing [excessive] drain-back.

Doc

little block, BIG BLOCK . . .
HUMMMMMMM?
FFR3712K (POPSDRM) in Lost Wages, NV.
MKII, 5.0, "Tubular" GT40-EFI, E-303, T5, 17" 5-Lug Chrome Cobra "R's", Nitto 275/315's, PBR 4 wheel Disks, Full Tubular/Coil-Over suspension, 20:1 Flaming River, 3.73's, 3-Link, Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, Custom Footbox Air vents, Extended PS footbox, Custom Turn Signals, Custom 4-into-4 headers, Non-Donor build, Ford Royal Blue Pearl w/ Arctic White stripes.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:55 PM

Garage
Does half turn really equal .060. On my FE.. one turn equals .050
One full turn I don't think would hurt.

Thanks,
AL Adkins
Stoneville NC.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Charter Member

Thanks all. Let me try and give some more info. The rollers were new about 1000 miles ago. Only hear the problem after an extended period after the engine is shut down, typically overnight (at least 12 hours off).
From what I can tell the oil pressure is good, at least as measured where the sensor in the block is. Oil flow seems OK as it pumps up to the rockers in sequence as I prime the pump. When I stripped and cleaned the lifters I saw no evidence of damage (scratched bores etc) though the check valve ball cup and spring were pretty dirty on a number of the rollers.
As it turns out my next task was to drop the oil pan to fix a stripped drain plug so while I'm there I'll check the oil pump and pick up tube.

Is it worth going to a high volume pump?

Like most of us I have the remote oil filter kit, any one had issues with this or the hoses feeding the remote and back to the block?
There has to be an answer, I'll keep digging. Any other thoughts about oil weight to use? Stick with the 5-30w or try something heavier, synthetic as an option, additives......

Thanks all, appreciate you chipping in.

John

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:29 PM

Standard volume SBF pumps handle coolers and remote filters just fine even for racing.
Leave the high volume and high pressure pumps on the shelf unless you want to be changing out distributor drive gears and camshafts periodically ...
DWIGHT thanked this.

Regards - Randy

Racecar & HotRod Fab/Support
GT40 331 - Weber IDAs, G50 5spd ((sold))
2017 Ford Raptor / 2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Charter Member

Al, I noticed when setting zero lash that it took 2 full turns to bottom out the lifter adjustment. I measured the adjustment available as 0.250" so half a turn would make it about 0.060".

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:07 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Captain

I would try an oil change with heavier oil first. The lifters are obviously leaking down and the noise you hear on startup is the lifter pumping back up again.

I had a cirvair in the sixties that would do the same thing. Damn lifters would leak down every time and make a hell of a racket until they pumped back up again. STP solved that problem.
Big-Foot thanked this.

Jim

SPF 2932, Indigo Blue with Viper Steel Gray Stripes, Lykin's Motorsports 438 Motor, 535hp, 560 torque, Gordon's Super Alloy T-5 tranny. Big A-- tires! Delivered 7/1/09, Scared s--tless 7/2/09.
FFR5452, 2007 grad #1. MkIII, Non donor, 302/400hp, BG Speed Demon, 3 link, Tremec World Class, 3.73 gears, Gordon's Koni's, springs and rear control arms, 17 inchers. SOLD 9/4/09

Legal Defense Fund contributor!
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:41 AM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

I posted this on the FFR forum. Jeff beat me to it here.

Try changing to a different oil filter. And not Fram. I had the same issue on an Infiniti. Valve train noise on startup. I changed to a Mobile 1 filter and never had another issue.

Did you check your pushrod length when changing heads and cam?

5w30 is light in my opinion for and old school engine. 10w30 would be better.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Charter Member

So tonight I dropped of the oil pan to repair the drain plug threads. Checked the pick up to pan clearance and it's around 3/8", OK I think. Can't see any evidence of damage to the pick up tube or strainer, both look original. The oil pump was changed during the rebuild and also seems to function normally. Should I strip the pump? Any advice on measurements to monitor?
Looks like leaving the pump as a standard volume seems to be the way to go. I'll rebuild, use a 10-30W and may be a can of STP to boot!! Is synthetic oil an advantage, Mobil 1?
After that if it still fails looks like another set of lifters!!

As for pushrods length I did use an adjustable push rod to determine best arc on the top of the valves to know what length rods to buy so I'm pretty confident they are good.

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:24 AM
FFCobra Craftsman

Back in the 60s we used STP a lot in our old worn out heaps. One winter I was working on something and needed a little lube to apply to it. Saw a can of STP on the shelf and grabbed it. The stuff was thicker than bearing grease at the same temp. I haven't used it since. I guess it may be OK once spread through 5-8 qts of regular oil but I don't know.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:40 PM

STP would be a bandaid and not something I would put in one of my motors. The Lincoln Aviator I picked up for my wife had a blown engine because the owner dumped too much STP in it and starved the bearings due to viscosity being too thick
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:10 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

You haven't mentioned your oil pressure. I guess that means it is normal. Seriously, try a mobile 1 or Wix filter. It could be an $8 fix.

Synthetic will not help with pressure, but it is proven to be better than conventional for wear and breakdown. Why would you not use it? (Flood gates now open)
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Charter Member

Update

So after listening to advice and more research this is the updated plan -

Get rid of remote oil filter, go with 90 degree adapter and get the FL1A filter next to block
Fit higher capacity oil pan and go with HV oil pump

Still not sure whether to go with 5-30W or 10-30W. I live in Michigan and only use the car in fine weather. Any final thoughts comments?
John

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:24 AM
Not a waxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntbrown View Post
...go with HV oil pump...

John
Reread what Randy said in post #11. The man knows of what he speaks.

I'd really like to see you just put a different filter on as a quick and easy test before going through any major reconfiguring.

Good luck,
Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:04 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

For me anyway, I am not understanding a connection between lifter problems and oil pressure. I suppose that if a lifter is leaking down then more oil pressure getting there more
quickly could help it fill up faster. But that still leaves 5?, 10?, 15? seconds of noise at the beginning of each start. Is the thought that 15 seconds of noise is better than 30 seconds of noise the reason behind the oil pressure discussion?

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Charter Member

Pressure is not in question it is flow(volume) that I am suspecting. Will feed back next week when parts arrive.....

post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:34 PM
Unconventional Builder

Garage
10w 30 dino oil Wix filter aka NAPA Gold change oil early Sept. New filter and oil June.

Donor $2,500 -Kit $18,000 -Extra "needs stuff" $100's -$1,000's
300+hp tagged race car PRICELESS !! Best ET 12.27 @ 113.49 mph N/A
Mk III #5294 -302 AFR 185 Heads, Levy Front and Rear control arms, 3-link, 3.55, 11" GT front and 11" Cobra rear brakes, SAI, UTC exhaust No More EFI: Now Quick Fuel 650

“It is not the giver of life that destroys human life. It is the receivers of life who do not live in the rational, honest way called for by the creator's behavioral law. Instead they live as they please and finally are forced to depart this life.” Richard W. Wetherill

YouTube Videos:

My Pics:

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:42 PM
FFCars Major

Volume has nothing to do with lifters!!!!!!!, they need pressure. If you have good oil pressure, you have ALL the volume you need.
Dont understand why you ask for help, get great advice from several very knowledgable people, then totally ignore it.
Instead of buying oil pumps and high capacity pans, REPLACE the lifters.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Charter Member

So aggressive........

Well I guess you feel better shouting at me now eh!! First riddle me this, If I was to say have a blockage somewhere in the oiling system reducing the flow (volume) would my pressure be up? Yes it would up to the point of the pressure relief valve in the pump. Squeeze a garden hose, pressure up/flow down. So is all I need really pressure? I guess not.
So high pressure is not indicative of good flow, can we agree on that?

You are correct, the reason we have forums is to illicit advise from good people, many who have been through similar issues. Due to the info out there on the web (or because of it) 'experts' can have widely differing opinions and that's great. At the end of the day we all do what we think is the best thing and that is exactly what I have done. As I said, I'll feedback next week when it all goes back together, may be I'll learn that I need new lifters....

post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:31 PM
Official OLD GUY
FFCars Captain

OKaaaaayyyyy

rich grsc,

I like this guy . . . he likes to take things apart and throw money at the pieces. A perfect fit for this forum. LOL !

johntbrown, If you have a "newer" or recently rebuilt engine, the bearing clearances are going to be on the tight side. High volume pumps were originally brought on the scene to help out old [loose] engines. High volume oil pumps on a newer, tight engine will only cause you headaches down the line, IF it doesn't snap the distributor drive shaft early on or cause excessive cam to distributor gear wear.

FWIW, FORD has been installing "standard" volume pumps in their engines since the beginning of time - about a bazillion cars - all on the road and NOT suffering from oil starvation from lack of volume.

What is your oil pressure at operating temperature? Normal for SBF's is 30# to 40# @ 2000 rpm, 20# to 25# at idle - both readings hot.

Re-read post #11.
Listen to what Jeff is suggesting.
And all of the others that say you have a lifter issue.

Here to help . . .

Doc

little block, BIG BLOCK . . .
HUMMMMMMM?
FFR3712K (POPSDRM) in Lost Wages, NV.
MKII, 5.0, "Tubular" GT40-EFI, E-303, T5, 17" 5-Lug Chrome Cobra "R's", Nitto 275/315's, PBR 4 wheel Disks, Full Tubular/Coil-Over suspension, 20:1 Flaming River, 3.73's, 3-Link, Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, Custom Footbox Air vents, Extended PS footbox, Custom Turn Signals, Custom 4-into-4 headers, Non-Donor build, Ford Royal Blue Pearl w/ Arctic White stripes.

Last edited by Big Blocker; 05-19-2017 at 03:38 PM.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post

Did you check your pushrod length when changing heads and cam?
Av has a point here. TFS TW170 heads have a different intake angle and pushrod length is longer. Read this article under the TFS 180 (they give the p/n for the TW170 58cc heads).

I used TW170 heads on my mild (400+hp) 351w build and my pushrods ended up 8.050". I believe the stock pushrods are 7.567".

~Bruce

7/22/2013 Ordered
11/8/2013 Delivered
10/2/2014 First Start & Go Kart
7/22/2015 Painted, Licensed & street legal

400Hp 351W, TKO600, 3.27 3-link
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Charter Member

Wink Doc, appreciate your civil tone...

Engine has about 1000 miles since rebuild/conversion. Oil pressure is right where you suggest. Still interested in 'rich grsc's' reply, guess I'll just have to wait.....

John

post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 01:28 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Thumbs up

A few years back I changed heads on my 302 stroker. Aluminum head for a different brand aluminum head. I did not check the push rod length. The push rod were to short and eat up the valve guides in a thousand miles.

Lesson learned. ALWAYS check push rod length.

My Ford mechanic buddy helped me re-build a motor. I was running hi volume pump. When it came time to buy a oil pump he brought me a book on oil pumps to read.
Bottom line, a motor for the street with correct bearing tolerance should Only use a standard pump. Hi volume pumps are for old motors or race motors with loose bearing tolerance.

We installed the standard pump. When I cranked the motor I had the same old pressure.

Long time ago when I build my first 302 motor I installed a hi volume / hi pressure pump. 100 psi on start up and 90 psi hot.
One day when I was showing off for my brother. At the top of third gear it blew out the O ring on the remote oil filter and sent 2 1/2 qts of oil across my windshield and through my hair. Rode home in a tow truck with greasy hair.

Next day I pulled the oil pump and put in a hi volume. Years later I found out it should have been a standard pump. I'm a slow learner.

Dwight
Big-Foot thanked this.

RCR GT 40, 347 with Eight Stack Injection system with 0 miles
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 03:07 PM
FFCars Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWIGHT View Post
A few years back I changed heads on my 302 stroker. Aluminum head for a different brand aluminum head. I did not check the push rod length. The push rod were to short and eat up the valve guides in a thousand miles.

Lesson learned. ALWAYS check push rod length.

My Ford mechanic buddy helped me re-build a motor. I was running hi volume pump. When it came time to buy a oil pump he brought me a book on oil pumps to read.
Bottom line, a motor for the street with correct bearing tolerance should Only use a standard pump. Hi volume pumps are for old motors or race motors with loose bearing tolerance.

We installed the standard pump. When I cranked the motor I had the same old pressure.

Long time ago when I build my first 302 motor I installed a hi volume / hi pressure pump. 100 psi on start up and 90 psi hot.
One day when I was showing off for my brother. At the top of third gear it blew out the O ring on the remote oil filter and sent 2 1/2 qts of oil across my windshield and through my hair. Rode home in a tow truck with greasy hair.

Next day I pulled the oil pump and put in a hi volume. Years later I found out it should have been a standard pump. I'm a slow learner.

Dwight
That says it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement