Wheel Well Vents? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

1Thanks
  • 1 Post By Real time recon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wheel Well Vents?

Hi all,

In my ongoing quest to make the car more suitable for longer trips, I'm always looking for ways to control heat. I built mine as a street car, no hood scoop, under car exhaust. While researching, I found this on the ERA site. They have optional vents in the wheel well that reportedly vent heat from primary exhaust. Anyone have them? Worthwhile? Send your thoughts

John

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3481.JPG (71.0 KB, 322 views)

FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Completion Date 11/13/10, Delivered 12/8/10, Drivetrain in 8/21/11, Graduated 6/10/13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 07:28 PM
FFCobra Captain

Are those installed in the elephant ears behind the front wheels? If so, how would they really vent the heat from the exhaust out of the engine bay?

If you wanted to get some fresh air to the exhaust, I think you could put a couple of vents in the side aluminum panels in the nose and then route a hose toward the headers. But then you need to figure out how to get the hot air out of the engine bay. I think pushing more air into the engine bay (more than is already coming through the radiator) just increases the chance that it will make it through into the cockpit (since very few of our cars get a great seal around the firewall and the sides of the footboxes).

Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FFR5857
349cu.in with Mass-Flo EFI, Edelbrock Performer Alum. Heads and other go-fast goodies
PS/PB/AC
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Those were the only photos I could find, but the ears behind the wheels was my guess, and I was also wondering how they would be effective, which is why I threw it out there as there are better minds than mine on the forum. Ive often wondered how much air moves in the engine bay, since much of what comes in would be heated by the radiator. Does it get trapped under the hood and contribute to heat soak?

FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Completion Date 11/13/10, Delivered 12/8/10, Drivetrain in 8/21/11, Graduated 6/10/13

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 10:44 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

So those are in front of the headers and the usual fender vents are behind them. To me it is very questionable what the air flow would be in that area. From the point of view that any air flow is a good thing to help dissipate heat, 'maybe' they would help. Since heat rises, I'd be a lot more confident that similar vents in the hood above the headers would help.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 03:31 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
I made my own... The air is probably very turbulent in that area but I think any way to get some extra air movement past the header will aid in cooling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.JPG (154.4 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (157.4 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 007.JPG (168.4 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 011.JPG (154.6 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 010.JPG (161.5 KB, 134 views)

Click on to AVATAR to view build progress in ALBUMS gallery.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 03:44 PM
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Captain

Garage
As much as you want to keep a flat hood, adding vents / louvers / some opening to get the heat out will be most effective.

I have them in my hood, and it gets heat out.

FFR5148K MkII Roadster, MCRP 331 CI 415 HP w/ carb, 3-link, disc brakes, SN95 Front brakes, FR500 17" Wheels. Still mostly Gel-Coat Grey! Now with roll cage and more track stuff, wrecked, beaten, blown-up, man-handled, cut up, butchered, Freaky body mods, sat on by HOOTERS girls, still barely street legal.

Winter 2016 Updates: Electric steering and FITECH Fuel Injection in!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 08:40 PM

Those vents are usually combined with sheet metal that surrounds the primary pipes. That kind of vent was actually used on some of the original competition cars for extra cooling. Basically, the engine compartment is at positive pressure, so the air will/should exit out the wheel-wells.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:17 AM

I made my own about 10 years ago. Very simple to do, nothing fancy. Place them high up up the ears. The goal is to bring the cooler air in from the top of the wheel well, over the top of the headers, and down the face of the foot box. It's actually pretty effective.

.boB "Iron Man"
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
Dart 427W, Momar 8 Stack EFI, 600'ish hp, TKO, 3.55 TruTrac, Red with Ghost Flames. Gone, but not forgotten.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 02:36 PM
FFCars Craftsman

"Controlling heat". This makes a lot of difference.I run it from the engine to the beginning of the side pipes.Also comes in 50' & 60' rolls.Great product ! I believe its a mixture of fiberglass & Titanium.
>> LEDAUT Heat Shield Insulation with Ties for Pipe 16' Roll Titanium Motorcycle Exhaust Tape Thermal Protection Hardware Hardware Accessories Hardware
John4337 thanked this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Recon,

I've been scared off of wraps by all the horror stories of them rotting out pipes, especially since I live in humid coastal S. Florida, trying everything else I can think of.

John

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 01:27 PM
FFCars Craftsman

I hear you John...I had the headers taped for 5 years on my 68 427 vet.Then one day I dropped a good amount of oil on them, on the passenger side.Removed the tape and found no more than usual rust. And that was driving in N.Y.s weather.But down here the cobra has never been in the rain,not even a puddle. And is kept in heated garage.As extra protection (in your humid location).You could prep the headers and give them 2 coats high temp heat paint (bake paint on as per directions) then wrap them.The tape Will reduce that heat problem,noticeably
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wish I could say that I've never been wet, rain seems to seek me out. Let's just say that I have throughly tested the top for its waterproofness. This was a drive back from our club spring cruise last month.

https://youtu.be/srcA8T0qpvg

But, I'm getting to the point that I'm thinking I'll wrap and deal with problems later if they appear. I'm UTC exhaust with Ford stainless shorty headers that are ceramic, and stainless pipes and mufflers, so maybe I'll be ok.

John

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 03:17 PM
FFCars Craftsman

They also make a sealer to brush/spray on over the wrap for protection.
WOW I'd crap, if cough in that rain.Its a hand full on dry pavement.Besides I keep the underneath as clean as the body.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 04:49 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

John,
I know we were discussing heat leaks. Here is what I discovered on mine, after the 1200 mile sweaty DSCC cruise. Maybe this would be a factor for yours too.

I have the Vintage Air Deluxe heater. Not the one FFR sells. It has an electrically controlled heater control valve. One would ASSUME that when you turned the fan off the heater valve would close. Or at least, when you turn the fan off and then turn the temperature knob to cold, the heater control valve would close. How it really works is when you turn the fan off the whole unit is depowered and the heater control valve just stays wherever it was. I now know that I have to put the temp on cold, wait a few seconds, and then turn the fan off. Not a very logical design. But at least I no longer have heat rolling out from behind the dash.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement