I'm stumped....5.0 Stock Heads with Smog Plug Questions - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

I'm stumped....5.0 Stock Heads with Smog Plug Questions

I've tried to plug these holes, and I've purchased these smog plugs from LMR to fit the bill. But they're not threading in.

There is dirt inside the threads in the head, but I didn't think that that would cause the problem. If feels like the threads aren't even starting. Any tips or similar experiences?

--------------------------------------------------------------
Dave
Greenhorn / A New Experience for Me.
Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels

Purchased 10/7/15; Brought her Home 10/18/15
My photos are at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Videos are at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Build (Learning as I go and poorly organized) Blog @

Loving the Island Life

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:12 AM
Official OLD GUY
FFCars Captain

Tap

Dave,

Get the appropriate bottom tap for the holes and go from there . . .

If my single brain cell is working, I think it is a 5/8" hole (may be 1/2 inside"), it's been 40 years since I plugged those holes (mid to late 60's cars).
You can also plug these holes with a very short 5/8" bolt.

Doc

little block, BIG BLOCK . . .
HUMMMMMMM?
FFR3712K (POPSDRM) in Lost Wages, NV.
MKII, 5.0, "Tubular" GT40-EFI, E-303, T5, 17" 5-Lug Chrome Cobra "R's", Nitto 275/315's, PBR 4 wheel Disks, Full Tubular/Coil-Over suspension, 20:1 Flaming River, 3.73's, 3-Link, Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, Custom Footbox Air vents, Extended PS footbox, Custom Turn Signals, Custom 4-into-4 headers, Non-Donor build, Ford Royal Blue Pearl w/ Arctic White stripes.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:35 AM

They are indeed 5/8 x 11 threads. The dirt inside the heads is most likely carbon buildup. If you dont want to buy a tap, cutting slots in the threads of a bolt can work, but is a lot more time consuming.

The inside thread is 7/16 x 14.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:03 AM
Not a waxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derald Rice View Post
They are indeed 5/8 x 11 threads.

Yep

Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:47 AM

Garage
I used the TFS Thermactor plugs in my TFS heads, but they are the same. My heads were new so I didn't have any thread issues but a few minutes with a plug or bottoming tap will clean things right up.

~Bruce

7/22/2013 Ordered
11/8/2013 Delivered
10/2/2014 First Start & Go Kart
7/22/2015 Painted, Licensed & street legal

400Hp 351W, TKO600, 3.27 3-link
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:02 PM

these guys are on it

The Traveling Builder
717-599-9232 Wanda for scheduling

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Thank you for the replies

Dave

My photos are at:

Videos are at:

Loving the Island Life

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:38 PM
FFCobra Captain

The carbon buildup almost completely fills the threads. I used a wire brush for cleaning out a pipe in the holes. Then I was able to thread in a short bolt. I put some sealant on the bolt too.

Something like this from home depot will work:
Oatey 3/4 in. Heavy-Duty Fitting Brush-313282 - The Home Depot

Dan

FFR5857
349cu.in with Mass-Flo EFI, Edelbrock Performer Alum. Heads and other go-fast goodies
PS/PB/AC
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Major

I just bought some bolts that fit, cleaned the threads as best I could and screwed 'em in with Red Loctite. 9 years on the road with no issues.

I'd have finished a long time ago if I knew they were this fun!

FFR 4888: Street Cobra: No Scoop, No Pipes, No Rollbar.

302, TW heads, E-cam, Edlebrock intake and carb.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Dan,
How the heck did you reach that top shelf?

I'll try Dan's steel brush idea tonight. If it doesn't work, I'll move on to the bottom tap.

Thanks Guys.
Dave

Dave

My photos are at:

Videos are at:

Loving the Island Life

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:44 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
I have used a small wire brush on a Dremel tool quite successfully on similar problems. If you do this make sure the brush is smaller than hole and keep a good grip on the Dremel.

HTH

Norm

Mk 4 Base 7721, 302, Carb, T5, 355 traction lock, rear disc, heater, wipers, foot well vents, whitby soft top, dropped trunk floor and more.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:57 PM
GWL
FFCars Master Craftsman

If you can get a Thread Chasing Set or get the specific one for your application, do so.

Too many are using taps, to clean up threaded holes, which actually cut some of the metal away. A Thread Chaser is not sharp like a tap but has flutes for debris to collect in such as a tap does but will not cut into the metal. It will remove the junk or clean up the threads just a bit.

Especially, when cleaning the threads in the block of an engine use a Thread Chaser and not a tap.

On another note: Sometimes a bottom tap is not always easy to come by, at least not at the local hardware store. I have taken a regular tap and ground off the end almost to the point where there is no more taper in the threads and it has worked fine as a bottom tap.

George

Ordered Complete Roadster Kit - 12-24-09

Picked up Mk. 4 Roadster - 3-5-10

'75 Porsche Targa Carrera - Sold
'52 MGTD - Sold
'62 MGA - Sold

How to install the IRS Center Section

My Footbox Modifications:

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:04 PM
FFCars Major

Unless you are using the factory intake, there isn't a reason to plug them.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
Unless you are using the factory intake, there isn't a reason to plug them.
Aren't they open to the exhaust port? Won't they leak exhaust gas, cause backfires etc. like a header leak? I don't know the answer, just asking.

Sean

MK 3.5 (MK IV body retrofit to MK III chassis) 351W stroked & poked to 396 c.i., custom EFI, 4 into 4's, 3link, 3.73, 15" Halibrand replicas, SAI mod, full bumpers, 2 X roll bars, IČ electronics, hydroboost, 5-lug, GT front, MK VIII/Cobra rear discs, Levy rear LCA's, Forte front, VPM rear bars, painted by SRP (again!)
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:36 AM
FFCars Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck1 View Post
Aren't they open to the exhaust port? Won't they leak exhaust gas, cause backfires etc. like a header leak? I don't know the answer, just asking.

Sean
No, it is not open to the exhaust. It opens to the center of the crossover port on the intake manifold. Many aftermarket manifold don't even have the ports.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:44 AM
FFCobra Fanatic

I had blown air into them and it exited each exhaust port out of the thermactor bosses within

331, RPM intake, TW heads, TF STG II cam, 3:55, powerjection III, 3550 trans, NT-03M Enkei 18x9.5 & 10.5, Goodyear Rival 275-35 \ 315-30, 3-link, Fast Freddies PS, ABS, 381 RWHP 361 RWTq
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

I used the wire brush and after a half hour of twisting in the threads I finally got the plugs in. The second photo shows how much carbon came out. Thanks all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170420_184300.jpg (249.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20170420_184139.jpg (294.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20170420_183833.jpg (244.8 KB, 26 views)

Dave

My photos are at:

Videos are at:

Loving the Island Life

Last edited by DadofThree; 04-21-2017 at 10:16 AM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:14 AM
GWL
FFCars Master Craftsman

I thought the smog pump hooked up to these ports and pumped air into the exhaust ports.

It was confirmed by this LMR video at 38 seconds. Got to plug them up to avoid an exhaust leak.

George

Ordered Complete Roadster Kit - 12-24-09

Picked up Mk. 4 Roadster - 3-5-10

'75 Porsche Targa Carrera - Sold
'52 MGTD - Sold
'62 MGA - Sold

How to install the IRS Center Section

My Footbox Modifications:

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:12 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Major

Exactly, why else would they have carbon buildup in them...

I'd have finished a long time ago if I knew they were this fun!

FFR 4888: Street Cobra: No Scoop, No Pipes, No Rollbar.

302, TW heads, E-cam, Edlebrock intake and carb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement