GlenH's MKIV Build - Page 2 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

7Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:27 AM
Well Used Member

1/8-27 NPT (pipe) to -AN (-04? -06? I can't remember). You could tap out to 1/4-18 NPT for a bigger nipple which is what the previous builder did on mine. As it turned out, one of the reservoirs leaked through the aluminum (not the fitting) so I bought new reservoirs and went back to 1/8-27 pipe to -AN.

BTW... I went to -AN fittings on hoses that are compatible with brake fluid. The slip on hoses were not doing well with the brake fluid (they were starting to break down), so I went with some Earl's Plumbing hoses that should hold up better.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0807 small.jpg (130.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0637 small.jpg (111.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0640 small.jpg (138.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0384 small.jpg (106.4 KB, 33 views)
JRCuz thanked this.

If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.

Bought a partially completed MK4
The Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439.
The Extra Stuff: Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands, Stainless Brake/Fuel Lines, Breeze shroud & Battery mount,
The Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch
The Young and Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi

Last edited by Boat737; 05-17-2017 at 12:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

It is a straight fitting that is 1/4 - 1/8 NPT. I am probably going to change them out to a 90 so they route better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JRCuz thanked this.
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCuz View Post
Looking good Glen, lots of progress. I got the front brake line done today, but I may be redoing it after seeing your Breeze battery box installation. Also I mocked up the location and a bracket for the CNC reservoirs.
JR
I looked at your front brake line setup. If you are planning on doing the Breeze battery box it appears you are going to need to move it. The box mounts to the front of the 4 inch tube, which appears to be where you put your line.
JRCuz thanked this.

post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:43 PM

Thanks Glen, I moved it first thing this morning to the front of the X member. Should have thought it out yesterday. I hope the new routing is OK. I'm going to route the rear line on the inside of the D/S F/B then high along the outside of the 4 in tube.
JR

Mk 4 complete kit ordered 1/19/17, delivered 3/23/17 #9059-Dart 347/TKO 600 from Mike Forte, Forte's hyd clutch, KRC p/s, Kirkey high back seats, 2015 IRS, 17x9/10.5 Halibrand replica wheels, 12.88 wilwood brakes f/r. heater/defroster, dual chrome roll bars
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

This weekend I was able to get the battery installed.

Emergency brake handle mounted. The cables are still back-ordered so I will have to come back to that.

Trunk and cockpit aluminum all installed and Dynomat in place with the exception of the transmission tunnel. I still need to make two additional panels for the upper trunk.

Received my back-ordered dash vinyl so I can start working on the dash and the motor and transmission are being delivered today.
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 12:02 PM

Good stuff Glen. I'll be tackling the fuel lines today.
JR

Mk 4 complete kit ordered 1/19/17, delivered 3/23/17 #9059-Dart 347/TKO 600 from Mike Forte, Forte's hyd clutch, KRC p/s, Kirkey high back seats, 2015 IRS, 17x9/10.5 Halibrand replica wheels, 12.88 wilwood brakes f/r. heater/defroster, dual chrome roll bars
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Got a delivery today. I am not ready to put it in yet, so I will leave it wrapped up for now.

post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 12:08 PM

I'm jealous. I wish I had room to store my eng/trans. I'll have to wait for a while.
JR

post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Went out of town last weekend so did not get anything done on the car. This weekend I had all three of the boys at the house. Since I had a bunch of help, we put the motor in.

Got the transmission mounted along with the clutch slave cylinder.

Now for the fun part. We had to trim some tabs off the block to get the motor mounts to sit correctly. Other than that it went in fairly easy. Having a lot of hands and eyes was a big help.

Once it was in we put the headers on, mounted the radiator and installed the upper and lower radiator hose and tube kits from Breeze. Started to put the power steering lines in place, but one end has the wrong fitting to fit the pump. I will have to get that figured out.

post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 11:45 AM

Good going Glen, looks like it was a good time for all>
JR

post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

This week was all about getting the motor wired and completing all of the connections.

Started off by running all of the wiring to the engine compartment. Moved a couple of wires from one loom to the other. and then ran one down the right for the electric choke, fan temp sensor, alternator.

I then ran the left side for the temp sending unit, coil, oil pressure and oil temp sensors.

Ran the ground to the battery and the positive side to the solenoid. For now the plastic caps are still in place until the rest of the wiring is completed.

Ran the throttle cable and made the connections.

And finally made the power steering lines and connected them up.

Still waiting on the wheels and tires and e-brake cable which are still on backorder. Now on to wiring up the dash. Not looking forward to that challenge at all. I did receive my Russ Thompson turn signal over the weekend so that will go into the wiring mix.
post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:13 PM

Very nice Glen, First start by July 4th?
JR

post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Very nice Glen, First start by July 4th?
JR
That depends on my backordered wheels and tires. I want it at least a roller so I can move it out of the garage for the first start. I don't expect any issues, but better to be safe since this is all new territory for me and I might have missed something along the way.
post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 04:03 PM

Yeah, better to be outside with a fire extinguisher just in case. I'd like to get my wheels soon also. I'm working in the garage today giving my new window a/c a workout.
JR

post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Not a real productive weekend at least on the car. Had a list of honey-do's to work on Saturday and all of the kids came over on Sunday. I did manage to start on the dash. I covered the dash with the FF provided vinyl and was not real happy with the result. It just seemed to me to be too "puffy". I went ahead and took it back off and cleaned the dash back up. Let me tell you that Landau top and trim adhesive is some good stuff. Took quite a while to get it cleaned back off. I made a trip to Joann's and bought some pool table felt and marine grade vinyl and started over. I like the look a lot better this time around. I got the gauges installed and wired. Now for the switches.

I happened to look under the rear end of the car yesterday and noticed oil on the floor. Checked and it seems the brand new rear end is leaking. Checked the bolts and all of them are torqued correctly. Looks like I am going to have to do some work on that. Not looking forward to that at all.
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:18 AM
FFCobra Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenH View Post
....I covered the dash with the FF provided vinyl and was not real happy with the result. It just seemed to me to be too "puffy"....
I agree. Somewhere back in the 70s some of the MGs, Healys, and Triumphs, etc that myself and friends had, a few of them had a vinyl leatherette covered dash. They were flat and hard w/ nothing soft underneath.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
I agree. Somewhere back in the 70s some of the MGs, Healys, and Triumphs, etc that myself and friends had, a few of them had a vinyl leatherette covered dash. They were flat and hard w/ nothing soft underneath.
The pool table felt seemed to be a good compromise. It has a little give to it without being so thick. I gotta say it was a whole lot easier to work with.
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:56 PM

Hi Glen, it looks like I'm heading to Jo Anns, how much vinyl and felt did you get?
JR

post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi Glen, it looks like I'm heading to Jo Anns, how much vinyl and felt did you get?
JR
I wound up getting two yards of each. That was a lot more than I needed. On the felt it comes wide enough that you could get by with 1 yard. On the vinyl it is not as wide as the dash so not 100% sure that even a yard would be enough by turning it diagonally. It's pretty inexpensive and they have a 25% off coupon right on their website. I paid $45.79 for all of it. I am probably going to make an under dash console so the extra can be used for that. You can order it online and they will send you an email when they have it ready for you to pickup. Their item #s are below.

Felt - 2109106
Vinyl - 3526316
JRCuz thanked this.
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old Today, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Managed to finish wiring the dash and the RT turn signal last week. Left for vacation on Thursday so did not get anything done over the weekend.

I checked on my wheels and tires today as I was hoping to do the first start this coming weekend and if all went well to go-cart. Probably not going to happen. The wheels were back-ordered and finally came in to FF, but they had to be sent out for tires, which as it turns out were not in stock. The folks at FF have been great through this whole process. This has been my one and only frustration (other than self created ones). Ordered the kit 4 months ago and still have no idea when I may get them. I have plenty of other things I can work on in the interim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement