Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1,500 ish mile road trip???

3K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Jim1855 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Considering taking my FFR roadster on an extended road trip. It would be about 1,500 is miles round trip during June/July. It would be roughly a five day trip. Breakdown would be as follows.

Day 1: 500 ish miles
Day 2: Probably no miles at all. I've got a wedding that day and might put about 20-40 miles on it maximum.
Day 3: 300 ish miles
Day 4: Probably no miles at all.
Day 5: Back home about 500 ish miles

I've done a road trip like this once before in a 1966 Corvette convertible, but that was broken up over about two weeks in chucks of a few hundred miles a day with some days being no mileage at all. That car is much more comfortable than the FFR as it has a soft top, more luggage space, radio, windows, etc. I know the route by heart and have driven it many times before in other cars.

Therefore, I wouldn't need a GPS, but I'd probably use my iPhone as a GPS just to stay aware of traffic and to listen to music with one earbud in (always have to have an ear on the car as well!). Luggage wouldn't be an issue with the existing trunk and passenger seat as it would only be myself in the car. I'd have to stop for gas probably four or five times on those longer days, so it would be very much broken up.

The only purchase I'd make for the trip would be an outdoor car cover or snapless tonneau cover, as it would probably be parked outside for most of the days.

Am I crazy? Have any of you done similar or longer trips in your FFRs? What are your thoughts? Any must-haves for the trip? I think it's completely doable for me mentally and physically and I think the car is ready for it as well. I'll be doubling the car's mileage but we've had very few teething issues with break in and have already done one oil change and wouldn't need another until well after the trip.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not crazy at all! Go for it and have fun. Mel & I have done "several trips like you mentioned" each summer for yrs. Might help you if you do a "search" here on forum for ideas on what works for longer trips? Folks here have posted many great/good ideas for longer trips. Good luck---
Butch

#3 ·
I would think you can, weather app on the phone for sure.

I have a coupe so may it play out differently for you.

I took my oldest son to St Louis MO for a Run n Gun and just shy of 500 miles one way in our 65 coupe. Awesome trip and really good memories, lucked out with no rain while driving. Had a cover as it did rain while we were there.

Took enough tools to fix anything minor along the way, we had no problems though. Cell phone charger and AAA card for anything else.

Lots of thumbs up along the way,

Have fun and tell us all about the trip when you get back.

Chris

#4 ·
Go for it!! I know guys have gone on the Hot Rod Power tour with theirs and thats about 250 miles per day for 5 days. The car cover and tonneau are a good idea. I have left mine out in the rain with a cheap BJ's car cover without any ill effects. Sunblock and a hat with tether to keep the sun from baking you would be welcome additions. Ear plugs for the long highway portions are helpful. A small tool kit with any little things you think might fail would be a good idea too. I dont think youre crazy, look at it as an adventure! Have a great time and post up some pics.... Where are you located?

Mike

#5 ·
Go for it, we've done a few multi day trips, the longest a 600 mile or so day. I confess, we do have a soft top that my wife like to have on for the longer highway days. A few basic tools/spares in the trunk and you're good

Enjoy it.

John

#6 ·
No problem! I've done a few straight through dashes from Chicago to Florida alone. And drove to Wareham from Chicago just last year for open house and free hotdogs over a long weekend! Just keep hydrated, and you'll be fine!
Enjoy the drive!

#7 ·
Thanks for the responses and encouragement! It would be an incredible adventure, and I've always wanted to do an extended trip in the car. This might be the perfect excuse as I know the route well so there should be no surprises (knock on wood). We've got a tool kit that lives in the back and earplugs were definitely a thought that I had as well. I think I've still got AAA so I should be all set. If the weather looks dreadful, I've got a modern car I'll take instead. I've driven the FFR in the rain before for short distances, but I certainly don't want to drive a convertible with no top in the rain for 500 miles in a day...

Mike, I'm actually living in London, England at the moment. The car is back home with my parents, my dad drives it a few times a month so it gets looked after and regularly used. The trip would be from Notheastern Pennsylvania (where the car lives) to Ontario, Canada.

#8 ·
Now that you give location the temp won't be a problem which is what I was thinking as I read your thread. Look around for some flesh colored ear plugs/buds. Some places it's illegal to use ear plugs while driving but having one in your left ear (at least) will really help w/ the wind noise so camouflage is a good idea.

#9 ·
Yes. I agree with CraigS. Go to this site to determine which states allow/do not allow headsets or ear plugs. Some states allow one ear only, some allow both, some allow none. Have this site readily available to educate anyone who questions you. ?http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/headsets/

Also, you'll need to wear the complete restraint system. ...If 5 point, then you need to wear 5 point... Here is a state by state site. http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/seat-belts/
CraigF

#10 ·
Go for it

I say; go for it!

I had a similar trip planned a few years ago but health issues got in my way.
About 1500 mile from Las Vegas to Seattle and back by way of Pacific Coast Hwy southbound. About 5-6 days total. Still hoping to do it someday . . .

I suggest that you bring tools, rain cover (both driving and stationary), sun screen, ear plugs, a good hat that will cover your ears a bit and any parts that might be "critical" (fan belt, upper & lower rad hose, fuses and a small length of wire, etc).

Bring clothes that are easily changed if the weather calls for it; sweat shirt, hoodie, long pants, gloves, definitely sun glasses, a light AND heavy jacket.

Good luck, take lots of pictures . . .

Doc :beerchug:

#12 ·
GEESH!
Don't worry about all the different local state laws! Just go and have a "GOOD TIME".
Or just stay home? Life is short, so go and enjoy it. Just saying--
Butch

PS
Yes, I run with scissors!! lol>:)

#14 ·
Whenever things calm down in my life,I fully plan on taking multi-day long trips like this. Ideally, Id rather break it up into 5x 300 mile day instead but that obviously doesnt work in your case. Youre not crazy, youre just living many of our dreams!

#15 ·
Like others, we have done many "long" trips. It is just a joy to see the world. EVERY gas stop will be a Car Show. Get some extra FFR brochures and DVDs to pass out to those with real interest. Take notes and photos, we'll be expecting a report when you return. Save Travels.

#17 ·
Sounds like a fun trip I've driven to the London show twice (~420 miles one way) with my 80 year old dad and we had a great time (except for getting caught in pretty good rainstorms twice), but still enjoyed the drives. Stopped about every hour to hour & half, just to refuel and stretch. Also drove to Gatlinburg, TN (Tail of the Dragon) 540 miles. I did this one by myself (caravaning with some club members that were trailering) and pushed the breaks out a little more. I'd recommend some kind of butt pad for the seats, my butt ached for a couple days afterwards. :grin2:
I also packed a can of fix-a-flat and a canned fire extinguisher (just in-case) behind the drivers seat (I also have a chrome mounted fire extinguisher in the cockpit. For rain, I bought a set of Frog-Toggs, that have come in handy a couple times. ALso bought a giant umbrella that covers the entire cockpit, just in case and to keep the interior cool if I park in the sun.
Driving the hiways is kinda boring, so I loaded up my iPhone with tunes and use a good set of earbuds (also buffets the wind noise, which I always thought was worse than the sidepipe noise).
I have a GPS because I like to know where I am and what's ahead (also have a Valentine Radar detector for similar reasons). And power ports to keep everything powered.

Good luck! Roadster trips are a lot of fun!:grin2:

#19 ·
Oh yeah! Fun times ahead! I did Denver to Charlotte a few years back - best road trip I ever took. Nothing like on the road at dawn before the rest of the world. Did it over 3 days, weather was all clear, no radio, detector,or ear buds. Enjoy the openess and the sound, that's the whole purpose of these cars! Had 4 unmarked cops look me over closely, but no stops. Had to bring 5 gallon container of gas. (Out there, there were 2 stretches where gas stations were just too far apart.) Oh yeah, the hotels I stayed at let me park my Cobra overnight up front under their entrance roof. Enjoy!

#20 ·
Go for it. I've done 2 trips at 4,500 miles, 2+ weeks for each from Michigan to Colorado and Montana and 1 at 3,000 from Michigan to Colorado. 2 others from Michigan to North Carolina spending 2 days at VIR going fast.

Tools, a good hat that won't blow of and a safety line clipped to your shirt collar in case it does, ear buds and music of your choice. A variety of clothes and changes, you'll most likely get wet at some point, at least a rain coat. Drive through the ran, once at speed most, that's most, of the water will go over and around. People will look at you a bit funny, but remember they may be dry but you're the one in a Cobra. I have visors and wind wings, they help.

Check everything on the car.

I'd get a dedicated GPS unit and then a clear plastic bag to cover it if it rains, a motorcycle unit might be worth looking at as they should be more waterproof. Check your phone, can you see it in the sun? I can't see mine.

Drill a small (3/8 - 10mm) hole(s) in the floor as drains, yes, it helps.

Get waterproof duffle/camping bags for your gear. Carry towels. Rain-X on both sides of the wind shield.

There's more but this is a start.

On my last trip coming home from Colorado I was on a 2-lane trying to avoid big towns, rush hour traffic and a major rain storm. I was wet and not yet put away. Jimi Hendrix was keeping me company, the sun was poking out, roads were drying and I watched a compete end-to-end double rainbow for many miles. Perfect! Doesn't get much better than that.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.