Building My Center Console - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Classic Format Fan
FFCars Craftsman

Building My Center Console

Been doing a little work this winter making the roadster a little more user friendly. I began making a console cover for the trans tunnel.

I began with a piece of 1/4" luan and cut it with 1/4" over hang on both sides. I then cut out the holes for the shifter and the parking brake handle (I did the tunnel top brake handle mod). I then glued two pieces of 1" angle aluminum along the bottom left and right edges.

I covered it with two layers of 1/16" closed cell foam normally used for laminate flooring and then wrapped in black marine vinyl. I made templates, cut out, and sewn boots for the shifter and the parking brake handle. I cut out a trim plate for the shifter and brake out of 3/32" aluminum that I had laying around. I added two stainless cup holders I found on Amazon.com.

It fits snugly over the top of the tunnel and the angle aluminum wraps around the top and covers the top edge of the carpeted sides.

FFR6768 MK3.1 Mountaineer 5.0 Midshift T-5

Last edited by JJ in Cbus; 03-08-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Classic Format Fan
FFCars Craftsman

I have built an arm rest/storage box, but I am still not in love with how it turned out. I have not permanently mounted it yet. I still may make another to see if it works out better.

Last edited by JJ in Cbus; 03-08-2017 at 07:57 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:38 PM

nice work. The armrest is a different look than normal but I think it is pretty cool. Would love the additional storage.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Master of my Build

Looks great. Was not familar with Luan. Do you need to fasten it down? Will the wind blow it off the trans tunnel?

Picked up Kit 6/20/09, Tear down stage complete, Donor 2003 Cobra 4.6L supercharged, 25k miles on engine, IRS, 6-speed. Attended Build School October 08. Mods done, frame powder coated 12/2012, First Start 7/31/13, gocart 8/2/13,
blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Classic Format Fan
FFCars Craftsman

Luan is 1/4" plywood used as underlayment for vinyl flooring. I have 3 velcro strips underneath it but it tucks in under the carpet along the back of the tunnel and stays put by itself. I was looking for something to use as a cover that would not increase the height of the tunnel too much. I had a few pieces of luan laying around, so that was what I used. I had carpeted the sides of the tunnel but I left the top bare aluminum. I was originally going to just wrap that aluminum piece in vinyl but then I was not sure how I was going to trim out the top edge of the carpet. So I made the top wood cover and then bonded two angle aluminum pieces to the bottom to make two sturdy edge wraps. Then when I covered it all in vinyl. Now the angle wraps around the edges and trims out the top of the carpet.
Problem solved.

Last edited by JJ in Cbus; 03-08-2017 at 09:34 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:44 AM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Captain

Nice Job JJ, I like the integrated ebrake and shifter bezels. If you were worried about it going anywhere, you could always run 4 black headed screws through your aluminum angle into the trans tunnel aluminum. Looks great anyhow, well done.

Mike

FFR 2166: 383Windsor, Vortech YS, TFS box intake,Dynod 652 rwhp , 9/11" Team III's 255/315 NT-05 Nittos, Vintage Autometers, PS, Power M2300K 13"/11.65" brakes, Tremec TKO midshift, SAI Mod, LEVY 5 Link, Gas-N pipes, Konis

FFR 3107 Built & Sold
FFR 1990 Built & Sold
FFR 7330 Built & Sold

FFR 4948 purchased 2013 incomplete, IRS planned 351W,Tremec,3.27's
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:32 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

Nice work. What did you use to glue the aluminum to the luan?

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 01:52 AM
FFCobra Captain

I like the cover but not really digging the box on top.

Kinda looks like a cash box that the PTA uses to put your money in at the bake sale.

Something with rounded contours would look nicer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Dan

FFR5857
349cu.in with Mass-Flo EFI, Edelbrock Performer Alum. Heads and other go-fast goodies
PS/PB/AC
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Classic Format Fan
FFCars Craftsman

CraigS, I used Dap Weldwood contact cement on the aluminum rails and to hold down the edges of the vinyl covering.

Dan, like I said I am not really in love with it either. I do not have it mounted yet so I am not committed to it either. I may have to attempt a more rounded one next time.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Baghdad Bob

Send a message via Yahoo to mcwho
JJ, That's a nice Idea, I have been thinking about something like that. Mixed feelings about the cup holders tho, I was thinking a flap to hide them when not in use would help folks not think your Cobra is a SUV.

I do like the leather like vinyl over the console though, I think that a nicer look than the carpeting.

Ordered Feb 26 2009
Engine: 331 from Engine Factory, Carburated QF 650
Halibrand 15" Wheels, BFG Radial TA Tires
Build School July 2010
Recieved Kit July 2010, #7287

Adds
Power Steering Rack & Offset Alum Bushings - Breeze, Power Steering Heidt Valve
Power Brakes - Whitby
Hydralic Clutch & Hydralic Brake Master Cyl. Modern Driveline
Modified quiet sidepipes - Breeze
sidepipe heat shields cobrastuff
Trunk Battery Box - FFmetalb
Firewall Forward - FFmetal
Turn Signal switch - Russ Thompson
Enlarged Passenger Footbox mod Russ Thompson
Russ Thompson accelerator pedal
Tremec TKO600 .64 5TH
Heater and Wipers

As of Mar 2017

Fitting the sidepipes and last will be hood and windscreen fit, then paint.

First start April 2016

First Go-Cart June 2016

Body is being prepped for paint
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Classic Format Fan
FFCars Craftsman

Yeh, I probably will never use them for cups, but they are darn handy to hold your cell phone and garage door opener when you do not have a glove box.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement