Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Exhaust Gaskets

981 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Butch B 
#1 ·
Need a little advise, and a couple of questions. First my engine: 5.0-HO stock headers. I am putting new exhaust manifold gaskets on and bought the Remflex ones, they are thicker and supposed to stop leaks forever (???). I was reading on another forum that they tend to leak and not last that long, has anyone used these with good results or??? Next: does anyone know what the make of glass pack FFR uses in there sidepipes, I may replace mine and like the sound and size of the original ones, lastly (whew) the four hole gasket on the side pipe to j pipe need to know where to get them in Canada my local supplier is stumped. Thanks for the help

#2 ·
My Take...

I used "Form-A Gasket" or something like that, a high temp Silicone, on the headers and on the flanges that connect the collector to the exhaust pipes (I have a home made UCE system).

Put about 1/8" even thickness over the gasket surface, let it sit for 15 minutes (?) and install. I think it was finger tight and 1/4 turn. I have not had any problems in about 10k miles.

I think there are instructions on the tube for the thickness, set time and tightness (not torque).

Don't know about the mufflers.

Regards, Rick.

#4 ·
Remflex can supply any of the gaskets you need and they are all working for me, including the 4hole sidepipe gasket. I should mention that I have used high temp (copper) silicone quite satisfactorily on my racecar.

#6 ·
I've used Remflex on all my builds. First is 8000+ miles, second 3000+, third not driven yet. Zero issues with any of them. I'm surprised you've read something negative about them. I haven't seen anything but positive. They have a great reputation.

#7 ·
I have a set of remflex hanging on the wall and silicone on the car. However, the FFR glass packs were replaced with flowmaster slim lines. You'll love them. Last forever, sound better, and won't burn you to the bone if you touch them.
Good luck.?

#8 ·
Yes! Remflex on many cobra motors(1,000xxx mi.) with great results! Just saying.
Butch

PS
Oh, and great results with "Copper" RTV also

PSS
You might also want to cut out center section of header / collector gasket if you go that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.