Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Homemade Case Spreader for IRS housing

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  alig2 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,
Here was my project during our last snowstorm! Needed to build a case spreader for my IRS housing, after checking out numerous pics online I headed out to Home Depot. Picked up a 4' piece of 1-1/2" X 1-1/2" angle iron, a 36" long piece of 5/8"-11 threaded rod with 6 nuts. I cut the angle iron in half and then drilled all the holes. Cut the threaded rod in half and added the nuts and a washer and voila! I painted it to keep it from rusting. Check out the pics!

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks perfect and is just what i have always envisioned when I read about the need. As an interesting aside, my friend is changing ratios in a 2015 IRS diff. Ford recommends that w/o the Ford factory tool, you use some kind of huge C-clamp. If you squeeze at the top and bottom, the sides will spread.

#4 ·
My guess is that you want to have a little preload on the bearings on both sides of the case. So you spread the case slightly, say .020" so the posi unit will go in easy and then you release the spreader to preload the bearings. Otherwise getting the carrier in and out can be difficult. I will let you know what the guy installing the gears for me says...

Mike

#5 ·
That's it exactly. On the solid axles I usually add a bit more shim than will just slide in there so need to hammer them in. Same idea on the IRS pumpkin, the bearings require preload. But this is a heck of a lot more accurate way to get an exact preload.

#6 ·
I came up with exactly the same idea last year, works like a charm. And yes, the aluminum housing needs additional preload oven a steel housing and without a spreader it can't be disassembled or reassembled without damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.