Factory Five Racing Forum banner

For those with heat + heated seats...

7K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  Brastic 
#1 ·
Hypothetically....If you were driving on, say a 50° night, and had a single fuse to use for either your heater fan or you heated seats... which would you choose to power up and why? Would this be a difficult decision to make? Many suggest one over the other, but I'm really interesed in the opinions of those that have both before I make a decision. Thanks!! -Mike

#2 ·
I have both and love both. IMO, the heater would be the second choice as you'll find it doesn't really heat like a closed cockpit for obvious reasons. Heated seats will always give you heat, top and bottom. You could always put a small blanket across you as well. In your case you have one fuse and if I were you, I'd use it for the heater fan and run a separate wire (Bat +, 10 or 12ga) to power the relays for the seat heaters and add them as well. The Bat + is only to power the relays as each seat will have it's own fuse controlled circuit. You may find that 50 deg. is OK, but wait until you get caught in sub 30 deg. temps. You'll love them both then. :)

#3 ·
I found the heater was useless when the car was moving. Do heated seats and bring a blanket for the passenger.
David W

Reactions: Matstng
#4 ·
Heated seats will do you fine.

Reactions: Matstng
#6 ·
Just installed seat heaters in my Kirkey seats. No heater in my car. Have not had a chance to test them out yet but from opinions on here the heated seats are the way to go.

#9 ·
I picked up the Kirkeys also, what heaters did you go with ? Did you place the heaters between the cover and the foam, if so how did you do that without destroying the padding ?

Thanks,
"E"

#8 ·
I have heat seaters only and limited experience as I have only driven it in go cart form. With that being said I cruised around the neighborhood at 40-45 degrees with no windshield and my body was quite toasty with the seat heaters. I am thinking when I actually have a windshield and wind wings it will be quite tolerable down to about 40.

#10 ·
Like Mick says. Plug in your 12 volt blanket for two. Don't forget your furry hat. Heater is useless, on a cold day, water gets to 65. Not enough to heat the car, next car will not have a heater or Cobra Earls fresh air supply.

Attachments

#13 ·
Thanks guys... looks like heated seats. Good idea about the blanket. I already have the 12v power in the dash that can use.

#14 ·
Heat

I have a heater and heated seats. Both useful. If you ever put on a top, which I have, you'll be glad you put the heater in. It's a lot easier to do as you are building in my opinion.

#15 ·
I have a heater and heated seats. Both useful. If you ever put on a top, which I have, you'll be glad you put the heater in. It's a lot easier to do as you are building in my opinion.
I've stayed out of this discussion until now because I haven't installed a heater in any of my builds. We've been more than happy with the heated seats alone and an occasional blanket that I keep in the trunk for my wife. But I truly couldn't compare to having an actual heater. But this response is the advice I always give. If a top is in your future, then a heater and defroster are going to extend the driving season and also make it safer by keeping the windshield clear.

#16 ·
It depends...
City driving, I would take the heater. You spend enough time at stoplights and slow speeds that it wins out.
Highway/country driving, I would take the heated seats. The heater is pretty useless with so much airflow and turbulence. The exception is if you were to get a blanket that buttoned to the underside of the dash to keep the heat in.

Seriously though, get both. While similar, they serve a different purpose. The weight of a pair of seat heaters amounts to 2 lb, which certainly isn't going to be measurable when you calculate the power to weight ratio. And your wallet will only be marginally lighter. I have both and have driven down to low 30s/high 20s.

#17 ·
I would fix my wiring.

Just kidding. I have both and I use both, and note that I am in north Florida. But, am probably a wimp when it comes to cold.

The regular heater will warm your feet, the seat heater won't do that. The seat heater is good for taking the chill off when you first get in the car. Nothing besides a leather jacket, or top and side curtains, will keep your left shoulder warm.

If I could only have one, I would do the regular heater. I have a Vintage Air Deluxe, which is a little different from the FFR one.

#25 ·
If I could only have one, I would do the regular heater. I have a Vintage Air Deluxe, which is a little different from the FFR one.
So is yours also Air conditioning too?

#18 ·
Nothing wrong with the wiring. As stated in my original post, this was only a hypothetical question. I wanted opinions from those with both. No better objective opinions than from those who have both and which one they would use if they could only choose one.

#26 ·
Hmm...tempting idea.

I have the summit heater, blows a lot of heat into the footbox area.

Tight fit on running the flex hoses behind the dash, and my fan is in the engine bay...so those are the things I don't like about it.

In 50 deg weather, my heater gives a fair amount of heat. 40 degs, or less...not as much benefit.

#24 ·
Many, including me, have used these. Some prefer the waterproof ones. I just used the regular ones. Price is for each seat.

Automotive Seat Heaters

#22 ·
sore back

I have driven quite a few miles in my DD's with the AC on and the heated seat on. The heat feels good on a sore back even when it's hot outside.
My suggestion since the fan is for heat and (AC IF you have it) is to wire for both. Since my 33 is a hardtop it does have AC and heat.

I will say that on road trips I found that each of those drops the MPG by .75 so using both is a 1.5MPG drop from the extra load on the engine.
DB

#28 ·
I also vote for the seat heaters. I just installed some in my Cobra. I picked some up off of Amazon. Installing them is very easy. Just get some hog rings and hog ring pliers. This was the third set that I have done and it took me a little over a hour to do. The heaters must between the cushion and the seat material. In my case, this was between the vinyl and the cushion.

I like the vent heater, but it only really works when stopped. The heated seats do really produce a lot of heat. I also have 12v electric blanket for my passenger. I bought my wife a heated vest so she will ride with me in the car. So far, she have lived in that vest any time we go outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.