Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Exhaust Flange bolts and clearance to Body

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mcwho 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my continuation of my exhaust cut out, engine mount, and exhaust flange series of issues. I suppose mounting Brackets as well.

Summary:
The engine flange bolts on the DS scrape on the body and are difficult to tighten.

Originally, I thought my only issue was with the cutouts being too small, or the engine not seethed fully in the mounts The cutouts have been enlarged, after I wrestled with trying to get the engine to seat lower in the engine mounts. No luck there. Now I see that the header flnge bolts on the drivers side are dangerously close to the inside of the body so much that there is rubbing.

On the PS there is plenty of room.

If I divide the clearance avail I get about 1 3/16" per side, from the header flange to the body before adding the sidepipes.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, Splash panels are installed.

#4 · (Edited)
My kit came with bulb seal, foam strip and felt strip. The manual stated to install the foam strip on the rails along side the hood. Could it be the felt strip was supposed to go there? Its about 1/2" thich and dos NOT compress like the foam does.

Thnt would account for some of the clearance.

Just spoke to Dan G at FFR, I do have it setup correct and the one side he hays does usually come closer on the DS.

Next, make the cutout bigger !

#7 ·
I was thinking along the same lines as Craig. Use a hex head bolt or something like what Craig suggested to minimize the thickness the head. Put the bolt through from the out side and lose the gasket which will gain you another 1/8". (I think most of us use silicone sealant, I know I do.) Doing all this you may be able to get away with only having to open up the cut out just enough to get the bolt into the hole. I ended up opening my drivers side up more than it needed to be and I've never liked the looks of it.
Dave

#8 ·
Minimizing DS cutout area

Here's what I did to minimize the DS cutout while providing clear access to bolts, esp the front one.
-norm

Attachments

#9 ·
JRTDOgs,

Your solution is one of the options that I am considering plus maybe the top bolt being a buttonhead bolt to eliminate a lot of interference with the body as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.