Ceramic / Nano Paint Coatings - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

10Thanks
  • 2 Post By PSB
  • 1 Post By Rivet
  • 1 Post By j.miller
  • 1 Post By Rivet
  • 1 Post By jfv
  • 3 Post By Avalanche325
  • 1 Post By ratsey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Arrow Ceramic / Nano Paint Coatings

Any of you guys using it?
Thoughts?

I'd really be interested in some of the painters opinions also...

Thanks!

Regards - Randy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Racecar Fab/Support
GT40 331 - Weber IDAs, G50 5spd
69 Camaro SS 4spd
2017 Ford Raptor / 2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
My GT-40 Build Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:19 PM

Garage
I look forward to see what this forum has to say. I have contemplated getting ceramic coating on my FFR and my daily driver. Every car i have seen with a ceramic coating looks amazing, there are no scratches and they never have to wash it. Just hose it off and you are done.

MKIV 8537
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:13 PM
FFCars Craftsman

I have had ceramic on my side pipes for 12 years. Last year used a buffer and metal polish, looks like new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Best at Serpents.jpg (259.8 KB, 45 views)

302 fuely, Ford Race roller motor, AFR Alu.heads, X303 cam, I-Beam rods, flat top pistons, 400Hp. T5 Super duty 5-Speed, 3.73 Limited Slip.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:19 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Send a message via MSN to DRUMMERMIKE
True ceramic coatings have to be baked at 600 deg. for a couple hours, which makes doing body parts next to impossible. Not to mention tumbling them to polish the ceramic. If you're confusing ceramic with powder, the process is nearly the same. Bake time is 20 min. at 400 deg. We do fender liners and suspension parts as well ad all the aluminum panels for FFR's but a regular car would be next to impossible. Now if you're talking exhaust coating, (what it's designed for) that is doable. Mike

WHT/SILV, 351W/325HP, Edelbrock Performer RPM II intake, 70MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, Pro-M MAF, 4 wheel disc, flame maple dashboard,\'71 block,\Pro Comp 190 Aluminum heads. Custom silver/grey interior, Halibrand look wheels. Supplier of Solid Stainless Steel Heat Shields
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:44 PM
PSB
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Captain

Here's some examples of what Big Foot is talking about:

Adam's Ceramic Paint Coating Kit | Ceramic Paint Coatings

Nano Ceramic Coating - The New Standard in Car Care

Opti-Coat Pro - The Ultimate? Ceramic Paint Protection Coating | Opti-Coat LLC
John Baker and Big-Foot thanked this.

Race Car Replicas Superlite Coupe
Hunter Kit Cars #37 - SOLD
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Thank you... Yes, that is what I'm talking about.. The use of the label "Ceramic" is really not correct in that the coatings are not ceramic at all. Evidently the term is used to indicate that the surface takes on a hardness similar to ceramic...

Regards - Randy

Racecar Fab/Support
69 Camaro SS 4spd
My GT-40 Build Site:
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:34 AM
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Send a message via MSN to DRUMMERMIKE
Wow! Was I off on that one. Sorry for the mis-information. Mike

WHT/SILV, 351W/325HP, Edelbrock Performer RPM II intake, 70MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, Pro-M MAF, 4 wheel disc, flame maple dashboard,\'71 block,\Pro Comp 190 Aluminum heads. Custom silver/grey interior, Halibrand look wheels. Supplier of Solid Stainless Steel Heat Shields
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:24 PM

Garage
Yea, this is what i was talking about too. There is a shop by my house that does it. Its like 1-2K for your car but you never have to wax or wash you car ever again.
Big-Foot thanked this.

MKIV 8537
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:41 PM
Cobra Colorist

Same "snake oil" different bottle. I do like the resists bird shit and has self healing properties....I could use that as a body wash...or better yet I could wash my heard of unicorns. I would rather see guys buy Zaino Bros products instead of this state fair stuff.....and have money left over to buy car parts IMHO ...da Bat
Big-Foot thanked this.

Drink me handsome and take me home....Bartender, I'd like to buy the little lady a drink...better make it a double.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
Same "snake oil" different bottle. I do like the resists bird shit and has self healing properties....I could use that as a body wash...or better yet I could wash my heard of unicorns. I would rather see guys buy Zaino Bros products instead of this state fair stuff.....and have money left over to buy car parts IMHO ...da Bat
Not sure if you know how the ceramic coating works but you should check it out before you knock it. I have seen cars that have had ceramic coating on them for years and they are perfect. Nothing sticks to them. Not one scratch, its amazing. Its not fake stuff, its legit.

The shop by me used ceramic pro - http://ceramicpro.com/

Also i know all about Zaino, great stuff, been using on my cars for over 8 years.

Big-Foot thanked this.

MKIV 8537

Last edited by Rivet; 02-17-2017 at 06:51 PM. Reason: need to edit
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:53 PM
jfv

ceramic pro

I had the ceramic pro coating applied last summer. Finish now constantly feels like glass, nothing sticks to it. I wipe it down with microfiber and distilled water. Bugs ect come right off, haven't waxed it since June.
Big-Foot thanked this.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:22 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

I don't know these products. Maybe they are great. But every product claims to be.

The Nano Ceramic link has some big scientific words all jumbled together, which is usually a Red Flag.

"1.A ceramic polymer backbone cross-link with specially modified nanoparticles within a three-dimensional matrix on the surface to provide the ultimate in durability and gloss."

WOW! That's impressive! Let's apply some critical thinking.

Ceramic - well actually, they admit it's not ceramic. It's "ceramic-like". They just mean that it's hard. Ceramic is hard. So they are using that. Clay baked in an oven is ceramic. Why is that word impressive?
Polymer - a substance that has a molecular structure consisting chiefly or entirely of a large number of similar units bonded together. So what? Scotch tape is a polymer.
backbone cross-link - One polymer link connected to another. Pretty much describes any plastic compound or protein. They could mean that it chemically binds (sticks to) the paint. Scotch tape will do that.
specially modified - could mean anything. I can "specially modify" a beer can by smashing it on my forehead. Scotch tape has been specially modified with an adhesive.
Nanoparticles - small particles (1 - 100 nanometers). I guess that is better than big chunks. Sounds cool though.
Three dimensional matrix - We live in a three dimensional world, so everything physical is three dimensional. Anything that anything else goes on in or is formed in, is a matrix. A glass of water is a three dimensional matrix (water) inside of a three dimensional matrix (glass). Burn one down and think about that!

So, that impressive scientific sounding sentence, isn't actually saying much. That kind of marketing BS steers me away from products. This is also the kind of stuff that car dealers sell as "paint protection that never needs waxing". (And laugh in the back room when you buy it) I have yet to see that hold up for any of my friends. I am sure it does something. But NOTHING that you put on your paint will hold up to the elements and sand blasting that a car gets for its lifetime. Even the clear bra stuff (MUCH thicker) gets damaged and has to be replaced.

Wow. That was a good Friday afternoon nerd-out.
Big-Foot, g8rnbft and Boydster thanked this.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 11:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfv View Post
I had the ceramic pro coating applied last summer. Finish now constantly feels like glass, nothing sticks to it. I wipe it down with microfiber and distilled water. Bugs ect come right off, haven't waxed it since June.
How much did you pay?

MKIV 8537
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 12:49 AM

I had mine coated with a ceramic coating called C-quartz back in October 2015 and it still looks new and as smooth as glass today, I paid $750 then. Havent washed it yet, just spray and wipe down. I have never waxed it.
This pic was last week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1446.jpg (188.8 KB, 57 views)

FFR8067
306ci, T-5, 3.73 rear
Deep impact blue with grey stone titanium stripes
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 12:50 AM

Price also differs with location, mine was in Birmingham, Alabama, the same coating in Atlanta I was quoted at $1200.00

FFR8067
306ci, T-5, 3.73 rear
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthony89 View Post
I had mine coated with a ceramic coating called C-quartz back in October 2015 and it still looks new and as smooth as glass today, I paid $750 then. Havent washed it yet, just spray and wipe down. I have never waxed it.
This pic was last week.
That's awesome, i may have to get that coating on mine.

MKIV 8537
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 10:53 PM

Is this the same product? https://www.amazon.com/Carpro-Cquart.../dp/B005DZD1A8
Big-Foot thanked this.

FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... in 'rough as hell' gel coat for the foreseeable future!

- Leave me a comment!

"When you drive a Cobra you ride with the Devil. And you'd best know what you're doing." Quentin Wilson
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 08:17 AM

It does look like the same product.

FFR8067
306ci, T-5, 3.73 rear
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys....
From what I gather and read here, I think I will hold off a while.

I was looking at this for one of our daily drivers (Black Jeep Rubicon).

Regards - Randy

Racecar Fab/Support
69 Camaro SS 4spd
My GT-40 Build Site:
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 08:59 PM
FFCars Craftsman

A different spray on coating...

Saw this on a recent episode of MotorWeek. One of the cast/crew used it on his personal project car.
AutoFlex? Coatings

FFR5778, del 10/25/06, non-donor, Mass-Flo, FFMetal footboxes, DWC trunk box & dead pedal, I2, Ford 302 crate motor, mostly Breeze for the rest.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
Saw this on a recent episode of MotorWeek. One of the cast/crew used it on his personal project car.
AutoFlex? Coatings
Interesting.... It appears to be one of those DIPYOURCAR paints that you can peel off later...

Regards - Randy

Racecar Fab/Support
69 Camaro SS 4spd
My GT-40 Build Site:
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 05:20 PM
Junior Charter Member

Icon21

some of the guy's at the local cars and coffee have had there cars treated to one of these ceramic coatings, when you look at the car with polarized
sun glasses you can see all the swirls from the application. not good.
HTH
Tim

FFR#5435, 1991 Donor 5.0 EFI,345 HP T-5 WCZ, 3-Link, 3:55TL, Go Kart 02/15/09
Mods: Expanded foot boxes, Fwd Firewall, Expanded trunk, Foot box skid plates, Fwd Battery, Vented foot box's, Heater, Heated Seats, Dead Pedal,
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 01:19 PM

Yeah Ive seen some swirls in some of the coatings at shows, asked around with those guys about where they got it done and found out they were from the same two places and they were cheaper shops. The really good ones that are professionally done are gonna cost a little extra but you get what you pay for. Mine wasnt cheap but not any flaws that I can see and looks better than the day I got it from paint shop. If my painter is reading this I was very happy when I picked it up from you I thought it was perfect then. I was just getting the paint protected and ended up getting it perfected. Mine is a driver but looks like a trailer queen when it goes to shows. Ok, I will throw th BS flag on myself, I do trailer to shows occasionally. In my opinion if you have the money left over after what we spend on a paint jobs its well worth the extra cash to protect the investment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1443.jpg (221.3 KB, 36 views)

FFR8067
306ci, T-5, 3.73 rear
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I think I would be less than happy with permanent swirls in my paint...
The black Rubicon needs this stuff I think.. I was on an every other day wash cycle on this truck last summer and don't want to repeat that...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0623.jpg (248.6 KB, 20 views)

Regards - Randy

Racecar Fab/Support
69 Camaro SS 4spd
My GT-40 Build Site:
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 11:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthony89 View Post
Yeah Ive seen some swirls in some of the coatings at shows, asked around with those guys about where they got it done and found out they were from the same two places and they were cheaper shops. The really good ones that are professionally done are gonna cost a little extra but you get what you pay for. Mine wasnt cheap but not any flaws that I can see and looks better than the day I got it from paint shop. If my painter is reading this I was very happy when I picked it up from you I thought it was perfect then. I was just getting the paint protected and ended up getting it perfected. Mine is a driver but looks like a trailer queen when it goes to shows. Ok, I will throw th BS flag on myself, I do trailer to shows occasionally. In my opinion if you have the money left over after what we spend on a paint jobs its well worth the extra cash to protect the investment.
Thanks for the feedback, i might have to do this to mine.

MKIV 8537
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM
FFCars Craftsman

FYI - Autopia is having a "Hydrophobic Happy Hour" for the next 8 hours offering 15 percent off their nano products: Hydrophobic Happy Hour! Can't hear "hydrophobia" without thinking of poor "Old Yeller". Wonder if the nano would repel my tears?

Madman in a death machine
My SBF into an Austin-Healey build:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement