Factory Five Racing Forum banner

BBK Headers interfere with Coyote AC compressor

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  TallerMike 
#1 · (Edited)
We have an MK4 with a Coyote engine, BBK headers from Factory Five and the J-Pipes. When test fitting the headers we noticed that the headers block one of the AC compressor ports. What are the options?

See less See more
#2 ·
I used GP Headers instead on my coupe and they are awesome... but expensive ~$1000

#3 ·
Pictures aren't showing up, so I can't tell it this will work....can you flip the compressor over and have the lines come in from the other direction?

#4 ·
I've tried correcting the images above and attaching them below. Not sure I can rotate the AC compressor on the mounts, I'll have to check. I don't want to be buying another set of headers for this.

Attachments

#5 ·
If rotating the compressor won't work, then the next option is to use a BFH to make room. It won't hurt horsepower...you might just have to touch up the ceramic coating.

Check out this video for proof that you won't hurt horsepower.

Make just enough room so the header will fit with the ac hoses already attached. Be a PITA if you have to take the hoses off for any reason (because you'll have to remove the header first), but it's better than buying new headers.

#10 ·
From what I read Vintage Air doesn't carry kits compatible with the Factory Five Cobra anymore - it's just a generic kit that you'd have to piece together and figure out on your own. Which might be possible... just not something we've planned.

#8 ·
I have the Vintage Air Front Runner system for my 2013 Coyote crate, with (now) GP headers; works great, but the GP/Front Runner combo is very expensive! As mentioned above, however, the VA compressor may be a solution.

For what its worth, here's a pic of my clearance: Turn pic 90* to right for proper orientation.

Attachments

#9 ·
Ouch, wow - that is expensive if that Front Runner kit is $1,300 with just the compressor and the bracket. Where did you supply the other parts that you used for the AC? I called Whitby's and they aren't shipping the AC unit at the moment (they can no longer source one of the parts) and the only other place I'm aware of now is Northern Racecars. Time to check them out I suppose.

North Racecars Air Conditioning Solutions

#13 ·
AC Options really are limited now. The setup I have is from North Racecars.

Are you going to put a top on your car?

I not and if I were building another Cobra, I would skip AC and put a nice footbox vent system in (like Cobra Earl used to offer) and install a good heater and seat heaters for the colder months. I just don't get enough of a benefit from the AC to justify the cost.

When driving, I have a hose pointing into the driver footbox and it keeps my feet/legs cooler in the hot months (but I don't have a fresh air vent in the footbox at all). Or pointing the vent so it blows up your shorts to keep the jewels cool is actually very helpful on hot days.

But other than that, you don't really get any cold air blowing at your face while you're moving at any speed. I only get some cool air on my face when at stoplights and it's not really enough to be worth the money.

#14 ·
We are considering a top at some point, either way we're considering AC even if there's little benefit.

Less concerned about denting the headers a bit and more concerned about the proximity of the headers to the AC lines even after denting or cutting them, hard to move them that far away. It seems odd that nobody makes a relocation kit for the AC compressor under a million dollars. It would seem that if you rotated it a few degrees within the radius of the belt that very little would need to change to move it out of the way. Just a couple hunks of aluminum, no?

#15 ·
#16 ·
Quality Roadsters sold the inventory & plans to Whitby ages ago.

I'll bet we can come up with a design for a bracket to rotate the compressor and you can get Jeff to mill it for you. Probably won't cheap, but should be cheaper than a whole front-runner setup. Maybe I can come by one night next week and we'll figure it out.

#19 ·
I'll bet we can come up with a design for a bracket to rotate the compressor and you can get Jeff to mill it for you. Probably won't cheap, but should be cheaper than a whole front-runner setup. Maybe I can come by one night next week and we'll figure it out.
We may do that; figure out what the options are. I think sliding down and to the right about 3/4 inch is all it would take, that might not even be so difficult to create a bracket for.

I've got an email into Factory Five as well, sent them some pictures. Going to keep headers in mind as an option as well - the cost of replacing them is cheaper than the FrontRunner stuff at the moment. Hard to know if they would solve the problem without having them on hand. Factory Five has a 4-1-4 header set they offer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.