Duncan's MK4 build, 4.6l 2v 02 GT donor, civil servant salary budget. - Page 2 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

13Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 12:25 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

The nice thing about donor bolts and nuts is they seem to be high quality. I especially like the ones which have the built-in flange.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
The nice thing about donor bolts and nuts is they seem to be high quality. I especially like the ones which have the built-in flange.

Agreed I opted to use those rather than some of the Ffr ones in the 4 link mounts

post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Engine's ready to come out. Every single wire removed. Now for some build thoughts.

I am rather aviation centered. I also like to work with metal. Enter timed out or damaged parts at the mechanics and this is my man cave:

I made this frame and hung it at work:

As well as this:

I secured an engine cone from a KC 135 today and my mind is racing. I want a nod to aviation, either subtle or not (we'll see how tacky it ends up) in the build. So far I have a pedal from a huey that I've thought of making a dead pedal from. But, This cone is screaming hood scoop material at me. I'm planning a flat bronze paint scheme and I do like a steam punk kind of look.

The patina, riveting and story on this makes me want to incorporate it, either as a scoop or ?. We'll see. Reminisce of the old gas tank racers. I think it will polish up to a mirror if I want it.

Anybody have any thoughts beyond a scoop?

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncalope View Post
Engine's ready to come out. Every single wire removed. Now for some build thoughts.

I am rather aviation centered. I also like to work with metal. Enter timed out or damaged parts at the mechanics and this is my man cave:

I made this frame and hung it at work:

As well as this:

I secured an engine cone from a KC 135 today and my mind is racing. I want a nod to aviation, either subtle or not (we'll see how tacky it ends up) in the build. So far I have a pedal from a huey that I've thought of making a dead pedal from. But, This cone is screaming hood scoop material at me. I'm planning a flat bronze paint scheme and I do like a steam punk kind of look.

The patina, riveting and story on this makes me want to incorporate it, either as a scoop or ?. We'll see. Reminisce of the old gas tank racers. I think it will polish up to a mirror if I want it.

Anybody have any thoughts beyond a scoop?
Have you seen Wareaglescott's fighter pilot stick shifter?
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdav View Post
Have you seen Wareaglescott's fighter pilot stick shifter?
Oh yes!!. He did a great job mounting that. Trying to source a cyclic currently.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 10:37 PM
FFCars Captain

Garage
Please be tasteful!

Do this:

Cobra Warbird Paint Scheme

or even better, this one from Metal-Morphous:

Morphing a Cobra into the P51 concept

NOT this:
duncalope thanked this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, PAINTED 4/17/14!! Wahoo!
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 12:12 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

How about a faired in headrest/rollbar?
https://www.google.com/search?q=aero...LNQ-dg1capM%3A
duncalope thanked this.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Success. I promised the wife the carcass would be gone within 2 months if she let me have a full day a week. I got it done in just over a month. Probably 60 to 70 hours worth of work total.

Scrap value is silly low right now. I got a whole 22 dollars for 760 pounds of body. Guess that's why no tow companies wanted to do this.

My favorite tool thus far is the "panel clip pliers". The entire tear down found about a thousand of those plastic barbed push in connectors. These pliers cost 8 bucks and saved probably 4 hours of fighting connectors. They keep you from prying on the wire harness too! Panel Clip Pliers

Beautiful pile:

The only unexpected tool that i needed for the way I tore down was the pulley remover for the power steering pump (pulley has to come off to access a bolt and hose). Rented that and the spring compressor for the front at the same time.

Going underground for a couple months for rebuilding and cleaning. Ordering kit in mid fall likely. When and what type of sales usually hit during the year for the kits?
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:38 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

I can't tell you when and what sales may come but just warn to be ready. For instance, they just offered base kits for $9999 which is a huge savings. Unfortunately it was very limited although I don't remember details. Perhaps others will have some ideas on how best to find out about sales.
duncalope thanked this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement