alignment question - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

1Thanks
  • 1 Post By Boydster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Craftsman

alignment question

Going in for alignment soon. I never have liked the neg. camber look with the top of the tire tilted in and the added wear on the inside of the tire. How would it drive with 0 or +1/2 deg. camber? Will be a street car only. !5" tires. Will it hurt cornering that much?
Thanks

Dave Van FFR 1406
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:15 AM
FFCobra Fanatic

Go for 1/2 negative, barely tilted in for best wear. Wont be noticeable to most. 0 to 1/2 positive and the outside will wear out first.

331, RPM intake, TW heads, TF STG II cam, 3:55, powerjection III, 3550 trans, NT-03M Enkei 18x9.5 & 10.5, Goodyear Rival 275-35 \ 315-30, 3-link, Fast Freddies PS, ABS, 381 RWHP 361 RWTq
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:43 AM
Not a waxer

Agree with Sanford. .5 degree negative camber is good for a street car, not really visually noticable and if coupled with 1/16" to 3/32" total toe IN won't wear the tires prematurely or abnormally. Negative camber and toe out will cut the tires (inside) as will positive camber combined with toe in (outside).

Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:43 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

I wouldn't have a problem going to zero camber at all. One thing to note is that the effect of camber on cornering is only felt right near the cornering traction limit. It has no effect on normal cruising type driving other than, as you note, wearing out the tires unevenly.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:19 PM
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Captain

Garage
The look that Dave is noticing is much more an Open Track/Race alignment look. We typically run much more Camber and Caster to help on the track. Typically we have much more suspension compression and tire loads, so the additional Camber actually has the tire footprint level with the road surface in hard cornering. Typically 1 1/2 to 2 degrees is used, with more just in extreme circumstances. We also keep the toe at Zero, or very close. Adding Caster by leaning the centerline of the spindle back slows down the steering action, and makes the cars less "darty" at higher speeds. With Power Steering, I have heard of as much as 8 degrees Caster. Manual, 4 seems to be an average number.

With my set-up at zero toe, 1.5 degrees Camber, and 4.5 degrees Caster, I saw no uneven tire wear, and the car handles great.

The kids in their ricers just go overboard, and it usually produces a car with the look, but handles like crap, and kills tires.

FFR5148K MkII Roadster, MCRP 331 CI 415 HP w/ carb, 3-link, disc brakes, SN95 Front brakes, FR500 17" Wheels. Still mostly Gel-Coat Grey! Now with roll cage and more track stuff, wrecked, beaten, blown-up, man-handled, cut up, butchered, Freaky body mods, sat on by HOOTERS girls, still barely street legal.

Winter 2016 Updates: Electric steering and FITECH Fuel Injection in!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:42 PM

Garage
I'm totally with Dave on this... matter of fact that was going to be a upcoming post.
So what would be all the numbers for a good "STREET" setup?15" tires for me also.

Thanks,
AL Adkins
Stoneville NC.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:04 PM
Official OLD GUY
FFCars Captain

Camber, caster & Toe

Al,

I run a bigger tire then most on my fronts (275x40x17) and have many, many miles on my setup: +3.0 caster (no power assist), -1/2 camber, 1/16" toe-IN.
Tire wear pattern is non-existent with even wear all across the tread - tire pressure kept at 23# up front.

These numbers have worked well with my [basically] street/highway driven car.
While I don't track the car at all, I do drive rather "spirited" on mountain roads.

Car handles as expected without anti-sway bars and the factory supplied front/rear tubular suspension with [non-adjustable] Pro shocks all around, rear end is F5 3-Link.

Hope that gives you a starting point . . .

Doc

little block, BIG BLOCK . . .
HUMMMMMMM?
FFR3712K (POPSDRM) in Lost Wages, NV.
MKII, 5.0, "Tubular" GT40-EFI, E-303, T5, 17" 5-Lug Chrome Cobra "R's", Nitto 275/315's, PBR 4 wheel Disks, Full Tubular/Coil-Over suspension, 20:1 Flaming River, 3.73's, 3-Link, Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, Custom Footbox Air vents, Extended PS footbox, Custom Turn Signals, Custom 4-into-4 headers, Non-Donor build, Ford Royal Blue Pearl w/ Arctic White stripes.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:15 PM
Not a waxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceral View Post
I'm totally with Dave on this... matter of fact that was going to be a upcoming post.
So what would be all the numbers for a good "STREET" setup?15" tires for me also.
Pretty much what Doc said although I like a touch more toe in to help with straight line stability.

For manual steering:
.5 degree negative camber
3 to 4 degrees positive caster (more=higher steering effort but better tracking and return to center)
3/32" total toe in

For power steering:
.5 degree negative camber
7 to 8 degrees positive caster
3/32" total toe in

Cheers,
Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:20 PM
FFCobra Captain

Most of your alignment machines have toe measured in degrees...not inches.

What is a good toe setting in degrees?

Dan

FFR5857
349cu.in with Mass-Flo EFI, Edelbrock Performer Alum. Heads and other go-fast goodies
PS/PB/AC
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:42 PM

Garage
https://robrobinette.com/ConvertToeInchesToDegrees.htm

https://robrobinette.com/DIYAlignmentCalculator.htm

Thanks,
AL Adkins
Stoneville NC.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Babb View Post
Most of your alignment machines have toe measured in degrees...not inches.

What is a good toe setting in degrees?
You need the diameter for your size and manufacturer of tire, then use this:

toe inch to degree converter

A Nitto NT05 255/40-17 set at 3/32" toe will equal 1.06 degrees per tire, or 2.12 degrees total toe.
DAVE VAN thanked this.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:21 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

Thanks Al and Boydster. That calculator is now saved.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:04 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

You don't like this??????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Extreme%20Camber%20-%2005.jpg (56.2 KB, 49 views)

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:21 AM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
You don't like this??????
Looks like a fish out of water! LOL

FFR Roadster Mk 3.1, 2002 SOHC 4.6 with Edelbrock intake and 4 bbl carb, T45 trans, solid axle with FFR 3 Link, Yukon Axles, Levy Racing rear lower control arms, VPM 3 Link Brace, Fox length axles, 11.65" rear disks, Koni coilovers, stainless steel side pipes with Flowmaster Slimline Mufflers
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Craftsman

Thanks for the input guys. i will probably go with Jeff's power steering numbers. I have new tires and wheels and want to do it right.

Dave Van FFR 1406
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:28 AM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

I am running Jeff's P/S settings. I do autocross. Tire wear has been nice and even. The only issue is that my rear tires seem to be wearing faster than my fronts. I wonder what that could be?

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement