Paint Color - Regrets? - Page 3 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

2Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:42 PM

I was torn between Blue with silver stripes and Black with no stripes. mainly because I had never taped off stripes before. In the end I figures what the hell and went with blue/silver and I am glad I did.
If you are picking from newer factory colors go to a dealership and check out the color in person, paint chips never show the true detail of the paint.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:45 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

I saw you mentioned British Racing Green. If you had chosen that. The next question would have been "which one?" There isn't an official one, and at least 30 different ones used back in the day. That is why paint codes are so important.

I am sure that you made the right choice. It is hard to go wrong as long as you don't get crazy.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #63 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 05:21 AM
Junior Charter Member

My wife laughs at me because I am always pointing out cars I like the red on as we drive arround. My current favorite is the new Ford metalic red with Lexus pearl white stripes...

Looks like a Cobra is possible in 2019... TOOOOO LOOONNGGG!!!

post #64 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 01:58 AM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
I know the title says regretful color choices and for some these two may be but I think they are an oddly interesting color combination.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01c86a27c8974589751aa93f6619c6dd.jpg (29.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg pfmyFLS.jpg (188.8 KB, 78 views)

Click on to AVATAR to view build progress in ALBUMS gallery.
post #65 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 12:37 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Thumbs up

Over the years I noticed as a group of Cobras would stop at truck stops, restaurants, etc people would walk pass my yellow Cobra, the blues and red ones to go look at the black Cobra. Once they had looked at the black Cobra they would then look at the others.

They "always" looked at the Black Cobra first. I observed this many times over several years in several states.

Dwight

RCR GT 40, 347 with Eight Stack Injection system with 0 miles
post #66 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 04:49 PM
FFCars Craftsman

No regrets in 12 years. Jeff Miller paint job. Shelby Mustang 2015 Fire Mist Pearl. Should have installed 3-M clear shield 11 years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Best at Serpents.jpg (259.8 KB, 55 views)

302 fuely, Ford Race roller motor, AFR Alu.heads, X303 cam, I-Beam rods, flat top pistons, 400Hp. T5 Super duty 5-Speed, 3.73 Limited Slip.
post #67 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:50 PM

I agree with Dwight, black cars have that mean, wicked look to them. However, you need a very straight near perfect body as black will show all imperfections.
I went with silver as it is a light color and does not require as perfect a body. Doesn't show dirt and dust too bad either..
Some awesome paint out there!

Cheers,
Paul
post #68 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 11:12 PM

I'm a year or so out from paint but right now its BMW Mini Cooper Surf Blue, its a blue with a lot of black in it, and satin black stripes with a deep maroon 1/4 in stripe outline...it has really worked on my previous car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1874.JPG (20.2 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Jacob Adcock; 02-19-2017 at 11:18 PM. Reason: need to add pic
post #69 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 03:02 AM

The color was definitely the most difficult decision for me. I knew before I started the car what engine, transmission, IRS, PS, PB, etc. that I wanted. I finally decided on either green, like British Racing Green, Dark Blue, or Orange. I spent a lot of time walking around parking lots looking at different cars, and looking the colors up on the internet. There really is (almost) no wrong color for these cars. Eventually I got to the point that I got a feeling with certain colors... it was either "That's a nice color... but not very exciting" or "WOW!" I guess everyone has those few colors that cause the "Wow" So for me, the Orange was the "Wow."

Jeff Kleiner made some paint samples for me with some of the Orange options that I picked (and the black stripe)

And I went with this combination:

So my final result was:

The best advise that I received about this choice was "Make it the color of the car in your dreams."

HTH
Steve

Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Graduation!:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Registered and licensed 4/9/2015
Paint! 1/31/15 (PLB "Copper/Mango Tango", UH "Tuxedo Black" stripes)
Dyno Run

First Start 9/28/14
Go cart

Mk4 Roadster. FRPP 427W Z heads. Carb, PS/PB Hydroboost TKO 600 IRS 3.27. 9" and 10.5" Halibrands. Hidden stereo. Leather dash
Let the fun begin! 2/2/14
Picked up Kit 1/31/14 FFR #8243
MK4 kit ordered 12/05/2013
post #70 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 08:48 PM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Had always thought I would do black, but I talked myself out of it. Went with Ford code gw - Orange Crush, with a little extra flake. This color gets comments all day long. The world did not need another blue cobra ...

Make yourself happy - don't worry about anything else.

MKIII FFR 5385 - 5.0, Carb, 3 Link, 315's. Picked up 3/25/06. Registered 12/23/11.
Ready to go

Sanding, sanding, sanding

MA legal and inspected 1/7/2012!
Graduation Day
post #71 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 03:52 AM
Baghdad Bob

Send a message via Yahoo to mcwho
If I was a "follow the leader" type Id be probably driving a red corvette and Id have a black Harley. Neither of which appeal to me. Yes, there are too many Blue Cobras, and black Harleys. There are too may follow the leader types. No, offense, But I like what I like, not what I think others will like me in.

Your color is cool, a friend of mine had a MOtorcycle that was called "Orange CRush" very original.

Ordered Feb 26 2009
Engine: 331 from Engine Factory, Carburated QF 650
Halibrand 15" Wheels, BFG Radial TA Tires
Build School July 2010
Recieved Kit July 2010, #7287

Adds
Power Steering Rack & Offset Alum Bushings - Breeze, Power Steering Heidt Valve
Power Brakes - Whitby
Hydralic Clutch & Hydralic Brake Master Cyl. Modern Driveline
Modified quiet sidepipes - Breeze
sidepipe heat shields cobrastuff
Trunk Battery Box - FFmetalb
Firewall Forward - FFmetal
Turn Signal switch - Russ Thompson
Enlarged Passenger Footbox mod Russ Thompson
Russ Thompson accelerator pedal
Tremec TKO600 .64 5TH
Heater and Wipers

As of Mar 2017

Fitting the sidepipes and last will be hood and windscreen fit, then paint.

First start April 2016

First Go-Cart June 2016

Body is being prepped for paint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement