Paint Color - Regrets? - Page 2 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

2Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 11:47 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

RCR GT 40, 347 with Eight Stack Injection system with 0 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 12:59 AM

Garage
Always think about resale... The funkier the color the harder to sale

Thanks,
AL Adkins
Stoneville NC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceral View Post
Always think about resale... The funkier the color the harder to sale
You're right...
For most cars - you can't go wrong with "Re-Sale Red"... For Cobras, the best re-sale colors are blue/white stripes or white/blue stripes..

Regards - Randy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Racecar & HotRod Fab/Support
GT40 331 - Weber IDAs, G50 5spd ((sold))
2017 Ford Raptor / 2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited

post #34 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 07:20 AM

Here's an interesting color combo thats a little different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TedTaormina_02-640x640_zpsudc5x0yx.jpg (79.4 KB, 217 views)
post #35 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 11:46 AM
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo7896 View Post
Here's an interesting color combo thats a little different.
That is a colour I have considered along with changing my seats. Trouble is I don't know the exact paint code and seeing it on a monitor may not be the same in person. I believe this may be a Superperformance if I recall correctly.

Kyle

MKIV#8707, Picked-up 09/05/15, 351w, TK600, QF680, 15" Halibrands, PS, Wilwoods, Gas-N Headers & Sidepipes, Viking Blue with ith Wimbledon White stripes. First start 03/25/16. First go-cart 04/01/16. Registered and on the road 07/15/16! Painted 03/15/17.
post #36 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 12:19 PM

I think SCRACER said it below - this has been my dream my whole life. I had a vision of blue with white stripes in my mind, but never saw a match in real life. I stressed over it for a year, but the best advice I got was from my painter (Whitby). We talked through what I wanted and some suggestions he had. What came of that was Spectra Mica Blue with Arctic White stripes. I just got it back and it is exactly what I envisioned. It made my dream come to life.

My advice - keep doing what you are doing now: gather lots of information from people who actually know. Then, have a lot of discussion with your painter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobra1.jpg (79.1 KB, 140 views)

MK4, complete, 351w 427 Engine Factory, 3 link 8.8 rear, TKO 600, 3.27 gear, and still buying :)
post #37 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 01:50 PM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
That is a colour I have considered along with changing my seats. Trouble is I don't know the exact paint code and seeing it on a monitor may not be the same in person. I believe this may be a Superperformance if I recall correctly.
Had the same problem. Even got two spray outs of what I thought was the right code based on the pictures.

Went down to Whitby's who was doing the car to see if we could find a better match in the books. Walking through the shop & saw a Hot Rod, not FFR, & that was THE COLOR.

A few weeks later the car was on a trailer & I was bringing it home a happy camper.

Kevin

Raleigh, NC. MK-IV 8243 Coyote (2011-2014)/TKO-600
Delivered - 2/7/14
Initial Engine Start - 11/12/14
Go Cart - 11/22/14
Chassis to Body Shop - 11/24/14
Body Painted - 1/8/15
Body on Chassis - 1/28/15
Dyno Tune - 2/19/15
Trailer home - 3/7/15
NCDMV inspection - PASSED 3/16/15
Plate - "COYOTE" Black/Yellow NC-1965 - 3/25/15
post #38 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:43 PM
Caress of Steel

Imola Red is the greatest red to ever enredden a car. All cars should be so lucky.

; '11 Mustang 5.0 'vert; '07 Legacy Spec.B; '98 F150;
;

I'll give up my clutch when they pry it from my cold dead toes.
Si vis pacem para bellum.

Last edited by Joe Campbell; 12-21-2016 at 03:25 PM.
post #39 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Yes,its a Superformance from Ted Taormina out of San Carlos Ca.
post #40 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 02:27 AM

I'd originally had Viking Blue with white stripes as my choice but the pics I'd seen always different to how the car looked in real life. I also considered silver with black stripes and black wheels or Lexus Indigo Ink with white stripes.

However, not too far before I was due to paint my car, I saw a photo of our local Cobra club's meet. Blue, Blue, Blue, Blue, Silver, Blue, Blue. Seriously, six out of the seven cars were blue. I vowed I would not have another 'follow me' Cobra, and decided to go something completely different that hasn't been done in Australia. I went for McLaren Volcano Orange with black stripes and black wheels. Everyone who has seen the car has been blown away by the colour and I've received nothing but compliments. Some have also commended me for being bold and not doing another blue Cobra.

It's your car, your choice. I do recommend painting it a colour that is pretty much universally liked, as this will assist your resale value.

Not finished. Still have to paint the wheels black and letter up the tyres.

Last edited by Paintwerks; 12-21-2016 at 02:44 AM.
post #41 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 12:17 PM
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Captain

Garage
While I am still gel coat 12 years later, I was originally thinking the traditional Blue and White. Then started thinking a burnt orange solid.

Now, If I ever paint it, I will go with the new Ford Dark grey metallic, and paint on the stripes I have currently in tape. I know mine will be one-of-one, and the car is so unique, damn the re-sale.

I received an award a few years back with an image of my car painted that way in a pencil sketch, and it looked good! My avatar image is not far off either.

When I look at most cars with striping, I always think what would be a good accent color to thinly edge the stripes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobra at Joes Aug 2016.jpg (95.3 KB, 125 views)

FFR5148K MkII Roadster, MCRP 331 CI 415 HP w/ carb, 3-link, disc brakes, SN95 Front brakes, FR500 Wheels. Still mostly Gel-Coat Grey! Now with roll cage and more track stuff, wrecked, beaten, blown-up, man-handled, cut up, butchered, Freaky body mods, sat on by HOOTERS girls, still barely street legal.

Winter 2016 Updates: Electric steering IN!!!! Thinking about EFI
post #42 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 02:10 PM

Guardsman blue wimbledon white...you won't find many.

-Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3207.jpg (260.6 KB, 115 views)
post #43 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintwerks View Post
I'd originally had Viking Blue with white stripes as my choice but the pics I'd seen always different to how the car looked in real life. I also considered silver with black stripes and black wheels or Lexus Indigo Ink with white stripes.

However, not too far before I was due to paint my car, I saw a photo of our local Cobra club's meet. Blue, Blue, Blue, Blue, Silver, Blue, Blue. Seriously, six out of the seven cars were blue. I vowed I would not have another 'follow me' Cobra, and decided to go something completely different that hasn't been done in Australia. I went for McLaren Volcano Orange with black stripes and black wheels. Everyone who has seen the car has been blown away by the colour and I've received nothing but compliments. Some have also commended me for being bold and not doing another blue Cobra.

It's your car, your choice. I do recommend painting it a colour that is pretty much universally liked, as this will assist your resale value.

That's a good looking car. Looks like it works for a living too.

John

MK IV Roadster #8631
Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage

post #44 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Great looking car. Like you I wanted to be a little different. Dont get me wrong I love blue cars. In fact 2 of my current cars are blue and so are my previous 3 but for this I just wanted to stand out from the crowd some.
The argument about resale ease is a good one. That may trip me up down the road but i figure this entire project is an exercise in excess. I am going to build it how I want it and enjoy it to the max that way. If the time comes to sell I will take the hit then and not even worry about it.
The beauty of this hobby is everyone can personalize how they see fit.
post #45 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 07:16 PM
Buck

Garage
Looks a bit like mine! Ford E9 with no stripes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobra Front crop.jpg (94.0 KB, 111 views)
post #46 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 07:47 PM

I have to agree with what some others have said. Close your eyes and what do you see sitting in YOUR garage?

I'm going with some shade of Blue. People always say, "but everyone's is blue. Why not be different?" My answer is always, "how many blue C@bras did you see on the way to work this morning?"

Point is, even if you pick the most popular color, it's still one of the rarest cars on the road.
WIS89 thanked this.

Michael

MK4 #7804
Plans: 3V SOHC 4.6, 05+ TR3650, 3-Link (3.31) 17" FR500's, Dual Roll Bars, Speedhut Gauges
Ordered: OCT-2011
Delivered: 16-MAY-2012
First Start: 21-JUN-2015
First Drive: 26-MAY-2016
Paint: TBD
Licensed & Tagged: 23-NOV-2016
post #47 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 07:34 AM
Baghdad Bob

Send a message via Yahoo to mcwho
Quote:
Not sure if it's the same colour but 'Olli' in the other forum had his roadster at the open house this year and it was beautiful. It looks similar and I think he may have used HoK. If you do a search for "2016 Open House" in the other forum, 9-10 threads down there is a recap from Mad Dog and within that a link to pics. Olli's car is in pics 3, 5 & 6. The pics really dull the colour and don't do it justice. Reach out to Olli, I am sure he'll be glad to talk to you about it.
I trid to find those pics on the other forum. gonna try an attach that link here for others. Hope it works.

Bob

http://www.factoryfive.com/galleries...16-open-house/

Ordered Feb 26 2009
Engine: 331 from Engine Factory, Carburated QF 650
Halibrand 15" Wheels, BFG Radial TA Tires
Build School July 2010
Recieved Kit July 2010, #7287

Adds
Power Steering Rack & Offset Alum Bushings - Breeze, Power Steering Heidt Valve
Power Brakes - Whitby
Hydralic Clutch & Hydralic Brake Master Cyl. Modern Driveline
Modified quiet sidepipes - Breeze
sidepipe heat shields cobrastuff
Trunk Battery Box - FFmetalb
Firewall Forward - FFmetal
Turn Signal switch - Russ Thompson
Enlarged Passenger Footbox mod Russ Thompson
Russ Thompson accelerator pedal
Tremec TKO600 .64 5TH
Heater and Wipers

As of Mar 2017

Fitting the sidepipes and last will be hood and windscreen fit, then paint.

First start April 2016

First Go-Cart June 2016

Body is being prepped for paint

Last edited by mcwho; 12-22-2016 at 07:53 AM.
post #48 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 06:02 PM

Garage
With the advent of sprayable dip coatings we no longer have to be so limited to a single color scheme...

Paint your car something you love but will sell easy later (blue, red, black, gray, white, or silver), wait a few months until the paint fully cures, then spray it with dip in any color you want. The dip will protect your original paint finish, and you can peel it and respray new colors as many times as your pocket can afford.

That is my plan.

Check these guys out: https://www.dipyourcar.com

Chris

Arrived 12/18/2011, Coyote 5.0, T56, IRS, Torsen Diff, PS, Hydraboost PB + ABS, Wilwoods, & many extras
post #49 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 06:28 PM

Garage
When I picked the color of my first build. This was the advise I used to determine the color.
"Close you eyes, picture the car, What color is it?

I'm on my third build, each has been a different color so I may not be the best reference point.

Happy Wife... Happy Life

MK 3.1, IRS,Koni,Wilwood 4WDB,Wilwood pedals, Quick rel steering wheel, 500HP/427ci(351W)/TKO600 5sp,17" AR Cobra III
Still finishing... but I'm on the road

Currently in the stable:
2005 Mazda 3 hatch
1965 MK 3.1 Roadster (427W/TKO600) Wilwood 4WDB
1968 Mustang conv 302/C4 (bought in 86') Project
1967 Mustang Fastback (1968 GT350 clone)
1967 Mustang coupe
1974 Bronco V8 3 speed (For Sale)
1968 Corvette conv SB 4 speed (My wife's taken this one over)
2001 Paint (1 HP)

Wifes
2004 Nissan Titan 2x4
2007 Palomino (1 HP)
post #50 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 12:10 AM
Junior Charter Member

Not my first choice

I kept this picture just for this post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1267076_3.jpg (46.2 KB, 130 views)

MRKIII - 94 Donor - 5.8 - T5 Mid-Shift - Holley 650 DP - Team III 17'S - DuraSpark-HEI Ign
post #51 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 12:15 AM
FFCars Captain

Garage
Is this the same car? Looks REALLY similar, but slight differences. Either way, looks very cool. The stripes set it off.

Here's mine, yep it's Blue w/White Stripes, not very original, but it's what I wanted. I always wanted Blue, that has never changed, but when I saw this particular combo on a 2009 Mustang, I said that's IT! Vista Blue & Performance White. I've been on Cobra Cruises with 8 cars and mine was the only Blue and I've been on cruises with over half of them were blue. But the funny thing is, even the blues aren't the same.

F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, PAINTED 4/17/14!! Wahoo!

Last edited by MPTech; 12-23-2016 at 03:00 PM.
post #52 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 02:00 PM
Baghdad Bob

My 2 cents

In 2009 when I ordered my complete kit it was a pretty simple decision, Screaming Yellow. Then, A couple months ago I saw a couple roadsters that popped out at me on pinterest. Burgundy and Black Cherry. Have it narrowed down to a couple shades of House of Kolor paints. At this point we are fitting the body panels and getting ready for paint.

Also thought it would more subtle with either black or grey stripes, so why not use the color of the Hilibrand wheels. Anyone know what that color would be?

I like the subtle look and those colors appeal to me.

Ordered Feb 26 2009
Build School July 2010

Adds
Power Brakes - Whitby
Tremec TKO600 .64 5TH
Heater and Wipers

As of Mar 2017

First start April 2016

First Go-Cart June 2016

post #53 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 07:58 AM

[QUOTE=MPTech;5573418]Is this the same car? Looks REALLY similar, but slight differences. Either way, looks very cool. The stripes set it off.

Thanks...glad you like it. It's not the same car however. Gary's car (above) is what gave me the inspiration for my own build.

Mine has some subtle differences. Different body shape (mine's not an FFR), mirrors mounted on the windshield, taller more authentic roll bar, will have black quick jacks and doesn't have the Cobra snake emblem in the grille or silver mesh in the openings. This car has Billboards and I have Avons and I don't have the orange piping on the seats. I also have (removable) headrests for the sake of safety. But this particular car truly looks awesome and that's why I wanted my car to look like it! I did attempt to contact the owner through Facebook to ask some questions about his car but it appears he ignored me as I never received acknowledgement of my contact nor any responses to my (polite) questions. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - but I am not so sure he is happy that I made my Cobra look like his. I mean, my car is half a world away....what harm could it do to have another one that looks similar? Oh well. Horses for courses.

Cheers,
Sime
post #54 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 09:59 AM
Not a waxer

Quote:
Mine has some subtle differences....
Not the least of which is the steering wheel being on the "wrong" side (or is it us who are doing it wrong?)

Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #55 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 05:29 PM
FFCars Captain

Garage
[quote=Paintwerks;5574362]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
Thanks...glad you like it. It's not the same car however. Gary's car (above) is what gave me the inspiration for my own build.
I think they are both AWESOME, I had to do a double-take. I never saw a color & stripe combo like that before, then I saw both of these in the same week. I did see that there were some subtle differences, but just too many similarities.

F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, PAINTED 4/17/14!! Wahoo!
post #56 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKleiner View Post
Not the least of which is the steering wheel being on the "wrong" side (or is it us who are doing it wrong?)

Jeff
Dating myself a bit but.....
.... Flipped Negative print!!!!

Regards - Randy

Racecar & HotRod Fab/Support
GT40 331 - Weber IDAs, G50 5spd ((sold))
2017 Ford Raptor / 2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
post #57 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Doug View Post
Picking the color to have my car painted is nerve racking. My wife and I are trying to decide between two completely different colors.
So, have any of you picked a color, then been so disappointed you changed to something else?
I will follow up with our choice once we make our decision.

Thanks,
Doug
Well after much thought and research I decided to have mine painted Ford Redfire Pearl with Wimbledon white stripes and border stripes. I am well aware this is not an original color idea but it what my wife and I like. I called "da Bat" to tell him of the choice. He was out skiing at Big Bear. He told me my car should be ready for color by the weekend. British Racing Green was a very close second.
Thanks for all your input.
Doug

Doug
FFR7995
MK IV
Prestige Motorsports 347 SBF, Moser 8.8 (3.31), 3 link, TKO 600,hydraulic clutch, PS, Heat/AC, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555s,
post #58 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:23 PM
Baghdad Bob

Its great to finally decide on a color and then to stick to it. I would recommend that you stop looking at pinterest and other pics of other Cobras, lest you get confused and start thinking of another color.

Bob

Ordered Feb 26 2009
Build School July 2010

Adds
Power Brakes - Whitby
Tremec TKO600 .64 5TH
Heater and Wipers

As of Mar 2017

First start April 2016

First Go-Cart June 2016

post #59 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Doug View Post
Picking the color to have my car painted is nerve racking. My wife and I are trying to decide between two completely different colors.
So, have any of you picked a color, then been so disappointed you changed to something else?
I will follow up with our choice once we make our decision.

Thanks,
Doug
All i can say is go with your gut. My gut was to paint it blue with white stripes but sometimes i would see a car that caught my eye. I say a silver one with charcoal stripes that i REALLY likes and almost painted it that color but i stuck with my gut and have been very happy. So happy that i built my second roadster and painted it the exact same color. see below!

MKIV 8537
post #60 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwho View Post
Its great to finally decide on a color and then to stick to it. I would recommend that you stop looking at pinterest and other pics of other Cobras, lest you get confused and start thinking of another color.

Bob
No need to worry, hopefully the Bat is spraying color as I write this.
Doug

Doug
FFR7995
MK IV
Prestige Motorsports 347 SBF, Moser 8.8 (3.31), 3 link, TKO 600,hydraulic clutch, PS, Heat/AC, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555s,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement