Rectangle Tail Lights - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

12Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Rectangle Tail Lights

Hey Guys I'm wondering if any of you have tried these LED Rectangle Tail Light.

1963-67 Shelby Cobra features 38 dual-intensity, bright red LEDs & has all the normal Stop, Turn & Tail Light functions.

Rodworx Street Rod Products | 1963 ? 67 Shelby Cobra LED Tail Light Assembly

What are your thoughts? I really want to use the rectangle lights but I know there are some issues with them being bright enough. I have seen the mods with the regular light bulb rectangle lights. Where you make it to hold two bulbs etc. I know a guy that has done this and used two LED bulbs. He still has issues with them not being bright enough in the day. My fear is the reflector will not let enough light through. I wish someone made a plain/smooth lens like on my Harley. They are bright.

Thanks,
Tony

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4402.jpg (22.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4405.jpg (25.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4404.jpg (32.2 KB, 55 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 09:55 PM
FFCars Major

Tony, I think you should be the first.

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking of trying it. The one thing that is holding me back is the wiring would be different. I think??? I would have to run a converter for a “3 wire” (separate brake & turn signal lights) wiring system into a “2 wire” (common brake/turn signal light) tail light. I know when I've changed my bikes over in the past I had to do something similar this.

http://www.rodworx.com/wp-content/up...6/02/90620.jpg

The ones for the bikes are plug and play, where as this I would be cutting up my harness just to try.

I also found this for guys running LED bulbs.

Rodworx Street Rod Products | 12V 2 Prong LED Turn Signal Flasher

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 10:42 PM
FFCars Major

Tony, converters aren't that expensive. You could run over to E-Trailer and show them the light they would fix you right up. Mount the converter in the corner of the trunk. Don't see a need to cut into the harness.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 12:04 AM

Garage
I don't understand why regular bulbs are not bright enough. I have several mid to late 2007-8 cars with regular bulbs and they are bright enough. I did the two bulb mod and I suspect it will be fine.

Thanks,
AL Adkins
Stoneville NC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 03:14 AM

I bought a set from Hanes Hot Rods and they are very bright. I installed the relay system to make them work correctly.

Bob

MkIV #8661 delivered 8/3/2015 347, stack injection, AFR 195 heads, 516 Horsepower,alloy T5, engine build and dyno 2/18/2016, First start 3/25/2016, Go Cart 4/11/2016, Paint 12/31/2016, Completed 1/25/2017
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 03:49 AM
FFCars Captain

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceral View Post
I don't understand why regular bulbs are not bright enough. I have several mid to late 2007-8 cars with regular bulbs and they are bright enough. I did the two bulb mod and I suspect it will be fine.
The problem isn't the bulb, it's the lens. This lens was made for one bulb and the bottom portion is a reflector so it doesn't handle light well.

If these work better than mine Tony, I'm interested in switching too.

I hope someone can respond with first-hand experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, PAINTED 4/17/14!! Wahoo!
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 04:02 AM
Official OLD GUY
FFCars Captain

Quote: " The one thing that is holding me back is the wiring would be different. I think??? I would have to run a converter for a “3 wire” (separate brake & turn signal lights) wiring system into a “2 wire”"

Not necessarily . . . depending on how you want the tail light to function.
If being seen in the bright sun is your issue, wire it so the whole side blinks when needed, not just another bulb behind a reflector lens.

While I have not [yet] converted to a single rectangular tail light lens, my two rear bulbs work as one:
all four on for brake, both upper and lower for turn signal (side selected).

Easy install with existing wiring and the addition of two relays.

Doc

little block, BIG BLOCK . . .
HUMMMMMMM?
FFR3712K (POPSDRM) in Lost Wages, NV.
MKII, 5.0, "Tubular" GT40-EFI, E-303, T5, 17" 5-Lug Chrome Cobra "R's", Nitto 275/315's, PBR 4 wheel Disks, Full Tubular/Coil-Over suspension, 20:1 Flaming River, 3.73's, 3-Link, Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, Custom Footbox Air vents, Extended PS footbox, Custom Turn Signals, Custom 4-into-4 headers, Non-Donor build, Ford Royal Blue Pearl w/ Arctic White stripes.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to give them a try.

Bob and Doc do you have a link to the relay fix? Why would I use the relay vs a pre-made converter?
Rodworx Street Rod Products | 5 Wire into 4 Wire Harness Converter
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Never mind Bob and Doc I think I found it now.

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 04:40 PM
Official OLD GUY
FFCars Captain

Wink Differences

To the best of my knowledge, the converters don't blink both upper and lower (on the side selected for turning), the relays do . . .

PROS: The Rat Shack relays cost about $8 to $10 dollars each (two required) as opposed to the "other" types that cost closer to $80.

CONS: most [factory] TS modules have a pre-timed (15, 30 & 60 seconds) "self-cancelling" feature, the Rat Shack relays don't but it can be added at additional cost (depending on how elaborate you want it to be).

Some of the "factory" units claim to add tail lights to the circuit for additional costs but the tail lights are a separate circuit not related to the Brake & TS at all. Not sure I see the benefit of adding the tail lights to the Brake and TS functions . . . ???

Just my 2˘ - an not worth a plugged nickle

Doc
Tony_G thanked this.

HUMMMMMMM?
MKII, 5.0, "Tubular" GT40-EFI, E-303, T5, 17" 5-Lug Chrome Cobra "R's", Nitto 275/315's, PBR 4 wheel Disks, Full Tubular/Coil-Over suspension, 20:1 Flaming River, 3.73's, 3-Link, Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, Custom Footbox Air vents, Extended PS footbox, Custom Turn Signals, Custom 4-into-4 headers, Non-Donor build, Ford Royal Blue Pearl w/ Arctic White stripes.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Doc I should have been more specific. Sorry.

Using the Ron Francis harness. Thinking of using the Russ Thompson turn signal. So I don't believe I need a turn signal module.

The LED tail lights I'm looking at are wired to function as one light. Not like the FFR lights with 1 upper and 1 lower. So the Turn and Stop are the same. When Stopped the whole light is lit on both sides. When turning the whole light flashes. When Stopped and Turning one side would be bright and the Turn side would be flashing. The converter combines the two to work as described. Maybe your relay system does the same thing I'm just not bright enough to figure it out. I have found a converter for $15.

Not the smartest when wiring, but once I understand it I can do it.

Tell me if I'm thinking wrong.

Thanks for the help.
Tony
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 02:42 AM
Official OLD GUY
FFCars Captain

Cool unit

Tony,

I looked at the unit you are interested in (Rodworx) and it seems to be pretty good at doing what you want it to do . . .

It does what the relays do, probably with transistors or triacs instead of [actual] relay contacts. Gotta love the "electronic" stuff available now-a-days. Those weren't available when I built my MKII (13 years ago).

Good luck with your project . . .

Doc
Tony_G thanked this.

HUMMMMMMM?

Last edited by Big Blocker; 08-19-2016 at 02:53 AM.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:28 AM
FFCars Craftsman

Found this bulb on some research this morning:
LED BULB

from this thread:
Upgrade Rear Rectangle light bulbs

(Forgive me if this isn't helpful to your problem. )
Tony_G thanked this.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Dave
Greenhorn / A New Experience for Me.
Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels

Purchased 10/7/15; Brought her Home 10/18/15
My photos are at:

Videos are at:

My Build (Learning as I go and poorly organized) Blog @

Loving the Island Life

Last edited by DadofThree; 08-23-2016 at 11:57 AM.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 03:06 PM

I bought the same lights a while back, and finally got a chance to test them last night. They do seem quite bright testing in my garage. I am very happy with them.

Wiring was confusing to me but after playing around with them I got it to work out in the end. I started with an RFW-SS11 turn signal switch and CHT-58240 3 wire - 2 wire harness. I did not connect the brake light to the turn signal switch, was only using it for turn. Brake light switch went into the 3-2 harness. Could not get brake lights to work, could not get the front turn lights to work, could not get the rear turns to flash. After messing around for a while I ended up connecting the brake light switch directly to the RFW turn signal (there is an input for it) and cut out the 3-2 harness. Now everything works great. No extra relays, diodes, resistors, etc.

I understand if you want to use the RT turn signal. I cannot because I am using a quick release steering wheel. If you decide against RT turn signal just buy that RFW switch only. It worked out well.

I can post pictures of the brightness if you want. It is what you would expect of an LED.

Edit- wrong turn signal switch part #. Corrected.
Tony_G thanked this.

FFR #8758 Build Thread-

Last edited by mk351; 08-23-2016 at 03:43 PM.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 02:25 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_G View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to give them a try.

Bob and Doc do you have a link to the relay fix? Why would I use the relay vs a pre-made converter?
Rodworx Street Rod Products | 5 Wire into 4 Wire Harness Converter
Tony, any update on the tail lights? I'm just curious if they were as bright as you were hoping. I hope to be ordering a set soon.

Joey

Joey - FFR7497
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltmcintyre View Post
Tony, any update on the tail lights? I'm just curious if they were as bright as you were hoping. I hope to be ordering a set soon.

Joey
See the thread over on Club Cobra:
DOT-Legal Rectangular tail-lights - Club Cobra
Those lights require a trailer relay to work. There's only two "filament" circuits.
daltmcintyre thanked this.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 03:27 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Tony, check out this company. I use their turn signal module and it works great. Not sure I understand why you need a converter. Aren't the LED's 12v?

http://www.signaldynamics.com/ Specifically this - http://www.signaldynamics.com/penta-star-module/

MKII, 460, Edelbrock Torker II Intake(Port Matched), Quick Fuel 750 Carb, Tremec 5 speed, Bridgestone Potenza R760 Tires - 432 Rwhp; 460 Rwtq

Last edited by Purple Venom; 09-11-2016 at 03:29 PM. Reason: added hyperlink
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 05:13 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob P View Post
See the thread over on Club Cobra:
DOT-Legal Rectangular tail-lights - Club Cobra
Those lights require a trailer relay to work. There's only two "filament" circuits.
I saw that thread on CC the other day. Have you seen that particular light and how bright it is? I may just order them and test myself.

I thought about modifying a set like this one from CC:

Replace turn signals/brake light with LED bulbs - Club Cobra

But the cost will be about the same

Joey - FFR7497
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltmcintyre View Post
I saw that thread on CC the other day. Have you seen that particular light and how bright it is? I may just order them and test myself.

I thought about modifying a set like this one from CC:

Replace turn signals/brake light with LED bulbs - Club Cobra

But the cost will be about the same
The bulbs are very bright. The only minus is that each individual LED shows through the lens, so that the light pattern doesn't match the original unit. Both the top section and the lower reflector section are used for light.
I've tried out LED bulbs, and while some were a little brighter, they're not nearly as bright as the LED light assemblies.
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Hey Joey sorry for the delay. I've been out of town. To answer you question No I have not bought them yet. Still mulling it over. Let me know if you try them what you think.
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Venom View Post
Tony, check out this company. I use their turn signal module and it works great. Not sure I understand why you need a converter. Aren't the LED's 12v?

Signal Dynamics Corporation - The Makers of BackOFF Products Specifically this - Penta-Star? Module - Signal Dynamics
Yes the LED's are 12v but set up to function as one light on each side not two. You have one less wire on each side than normal. The convert makes the one LED light do both turn and brake. The module you have would do the same thing if you wanted. I looked at it but would not be necessary to have if I go with the Russ Thompson turn signal.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk351 View Post
I bought the same lights a while back, and finally got a chance to test them last night. They do seem quite bright testing in my garage. I am very happy with them.

Wiring was confusing to me but after playing around with them I got it to work out in the end. I started with an RFW-SS11 turn signal switch and CHT-58240 3 wire - 2 wire harness. I did not connect the brake light to the turn signal switch, was only using it for turn. Brake light switch went into the 3-2 harness. Could not get brake lights to work, could not get the front turn lights to work, could not get the rear turns to flash. After messing around for a while I ended up connecting the brake light switch directly to the RFW turn signal (there is an input for it) and cut out the 3-2 harness. Now everything works great. No extra relays, diodes, resistors, etc.

I understand if you want to use the RT turn signal. I cannot because I am using a quick release steering wheel. If you decide against RT turn signal just buy that RFW switch only. It worked out well.

I can post pictures of the brightness if you want. It is what you would expect of an LED.

Edit- wrong turn signal switch part #. Corrected.
Hey mk351 does your car have the Ron Francis Harness from F5. If so what did you do about the wiring at the lights. Harness has 4 wires and lights have only 3.
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 02:00 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Venom View Post

Signal Dynamics Corporation - The Makers of BackOFF Products Specifically this - Penta-Star? Module - Signal Dynamics
I am looking to purchase the pentastar XP version
penta-star-xp-module/ because "The Penta-Star™ XP Module is a self contained electronic flashing relay which controls your turn signals, as well as a conversion module to make your rear turn signals function as additional brake lights and running lights! I like the thought of the extra light.

What is the Tri-Star™ XP Module? It is a electronic flashing relay that is meant to completely replace your existing mechanical flashing relay(s), or be a stand alone flashing relay to vehicles that do not have turn signals. It works with both LEDs or incandescent lights up to 10 amps per output. "

I plan to do the 2 bulb rectangle light mod converting-f5-rear-lights-finishline-square-lenses and use this xp module.

Just ran across the old thread on how to do the hazards on that module - (thanks Jeff)
signal-dynamics-turn-signal-wiring-question
Tony_G thanked this.

Dave
Greenhorn / A New Experience for Me.
Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels

Purchased 10/7/15; Brought her Home 10/18/15
My photos are at:

Videos are at:

My Build (Learning as I go and poorly organized) Blog @

Loving the Island Life

Last edited by DadofThree; 09-22-2016 at 02:23 PM.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_G View Post
Hey mk351 does your car have the Ron Francis Harness from F5. If so what did you do about the wiring at the lights. Harness has 4 wires and lights have only 3.
No I used Coach Controls to get more flexibility. Wither way, should be similar.

What are you using for turn signal switch? I used a Ron Francis SS11. Takes care of the brake/turn integration. Worked very well. Now I run the turn wires to each tail, and use my brake wire for the third brake only.
Tony_G thanked this.

FFR #8758 Build Thread-
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk351 View Post
No I used Coach Controls to get more flexibility. Wither way, should be similar.

What are you using for turn signal switch? I used a Ron Francis SS11. Takes care of the brake/turn integration. Worked very well. Now I run the turn wires to each tail, and use my brake wire for the third brake only.
I was going to use the Russ Thompson signal switch but not 100% sure yet. The integration of the Ron Francis switch simplifies things some it sounds like.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 01:09 AM
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Thumbs up

Ok lets get somebody to buy a pair of the tail light and test them.
I'm interest in them. Maybe I should buy them and let y'all know how they work.

Dwight

RCR GT 40, 347 with Eight Stack Injection system with 0 miles
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob P View Post
The bulbs are very bright. The only minus is that each individual LED shows through the lens, so that the light pattern doesn't match the original unit. Both the top section and the lower reflector section are used for light.
I've tried out LED bulbs, and while some were a little brighter, they're not nearly as bright as the LED light assemblies.
I agree. I also tried them on my ERA after reading the thread on Cobra Forum. They are high quality and very bright - but obviously LED if that is a concern. They are three wire but one wire (white of all things) is a ground so I just grounded it to the mounting stud along with the harness ground. The only issue for me was that the mounting studs are on the center line of the light base instead of staggered like on the originals/repros, so I had to drill new mounting holes. The ERA uses a trailer relay in the wiring harness for the rear brake/signal lights.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 12:22 PM

If you guys can wait until this weekend I should have the body mounted and can show off the lights. The were very bright when I tested them with body off.

FFR #8758 Build Thread-
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 03:16 PM
FFCars Captain

Garage
mk351, which lens assembly and which LED bulb are you using?

also, how do you have it setup?
ie:
running lights = upper lens
turn signal = flashing upper lens
brake lights = both lens
?

thanks

F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, PAINTED 4/17/14!! Wahoo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement