Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Heatlight wiring

829 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Avalanche325 
#1 ·
I'm using the RF/FFR harness, the Russ Thompson turn signal system & the FFR headlight switch. I'm planning to use the button on the Russ Thompson stock for my high beam flash. I understand that the FFR switch is capable of handling the headlight circuit without a relay but it seems to me that I will have to use a relay in order do use the button for the high beam flash.

My thought was to use the switch to activate a relay that would in turn energize the BRN-Right/Left High Beam wires in the RF/FFR front harness.

Am I going down the right road here?

Adam

#2 · (Edited)
The Russ Thompson turn signal (a quality piece, highly recommended) comes with full instructions on how to build the required additional circuitry needed and works well with the RF harness. You'll need 2 relays, one Bosch and one VW - quite a lot of discussion on this if you search using Google: "site:ffcars.com russ thompson turn signal relay"

Here's mine in progress and completed. Take your time and it's not difficult - I lucked out and had zero issues with any of my wiring. >:)

#4 ·
Just follow Russ' instructions. It is a tested and proven solution. It gives you the "flash to pass" feature when the lights are off (regular relay). This relay is a switch that is in parallel with the headlight switch.
Hi beam / low beam when the lights are on is done with the VW latching relay. This relay flips from one position to the other and stays there (latches) when energized.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.