Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Show me your Space behind the seats

7K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Mark Reynolds 
#1 ·
I want to put a space behind the seats that is open to the cabin. I'm thinking of encroaching into the trunk space about 8 inches. Any examples to show?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I did similar but went all the way to the top. Left that bar in place. Can't put solid objects in there but I sure can jam in a bunch of hats, coats, etc.

#4 ·
Cackpit Accessable Storage...

I moved the top of the "back of the cockpit" panel to the front of the trunk space creating cockpit accessible storage that is from the top of the differential cover up to the body and between the rear fender inner liners.

Regards, Rick.

#5 ·
I did this one back in 2004 or 5, One of the best mods I did.

#6 ·
Thank you for some ideas.

Jeff, that's exactly what I was imagining.

And Craig, coats /pull overs, DW purse, etc was what I was thinking in that space too.

Rick, is your body behind the seats trimmed back? That looks wide open.

#8 · (Edited)
Some Details.

...Rick, is your body behind the seats trimmed back? That looks wide open.
My body is all stock, no mods in that area. What you see above is my top that sits on the back of the cockpit, to preserve trunk space.

My opening is the full width of the space between the rear inner fender liners, the top of the differential cover and the chassis just below the body.

Regards, Rick.

Here is a shot in the beginning, with the body off.

#9 ·
Breeze makes a similar product - they call it a Cockpit Storage Cubby Breeze Automotive Factory Five Racing. But I think I like the large opening better!! Maybe that's another mod I will make - will it ever end!!

#11 ·
I did a more contoured look to match the body lines.

Attachments

#12 ·
I like that look Diver . I may have to steal that idea.

#13 ·
Thanks DadofThree! I wanted to do something different. Note the fire extinguisher is a Safecraft model PB2S 2.5 pounds stainless steel. Expensive! It's the only 2.5 pounder that I could find that would actually fit directly between the roll bars. The aluminum ones are taller.

#15 ·
I've done them on both of my builds. My 1st was just like Jeff's above: Single wall, 8" deep. I ended up polishing the cubby (as I call it) and the trunk. From the rear it looks like this, nice and clean:

For my brother's car I put in 2 walls. The front one houses a pair of speakers and the rear on is hinged so all of the stereo equipment is hidden:

:)

#16 ·
Nice Job!

#17 · (Edited)
Free domestic shipping on Breeze Storage Cubby Kit now through 12/31/16

The added useful storage space of a cubby is a fantastic feature to add to any roadster.
This year we modified the trunk divider panel in the 70752 Cockpit Storage Cubby Kit, to fit the lower rear deck of the Mk4 Roadster w/o trimming.
http://www.breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=861
For the month of December 2016 we have decided to offer free domestic shipping on this item and anything else that can fit in the box, (36" x 12" x 4").
Other popular items that can go in the box are the 70551 Lower Radiator Support, 70558 HD Upper shroud and radiator mount, various Cooling Hose and Tube Kits, 70634 Solid Offset Rack Mounting Kit, 70648 Big Bore Vent Check Valve Kit, 70753 Dead Pedal Kit, and 70031 or 70696 Radiator Cowl Cover Kit.
Take advantage of the opportunity to add this feature to your roadster. This is a no-brainer!
Shop online at Breeze Automotive Factory Five Racing

Mark Reynolds
Breeze Automotive
508 533 6455

#18 ·
I cut out a cubby hole in mine too. I'll try to post a couple pics when I get home.
I set the wall back about 8" and made it out of plywood and installed 2 6x9 speakers. The only tricky part was cutting out the back wall to accommodate the trunk struts (highly recommend them too!)

when you cut the cubby hole, leave a small lip on the bottom so stuff doesn't fall out (suntan lotion, sunglasses, etc). Also, if you make the hole too small, install roll-bar bolts and seat-belt bolts pretty tuff. (the bigger the better)

#19 ·
Cubby Cabin with Pocket Door Access

Like most of the solutions shown, I used the Breeze Cubby Cabin kit to provide the separating bulk head. What I did for access was a bit different. I used the idea of a pocket door for access as I first saw in the build site for MarkT. I did not like the idea of a door that opened into the passenger compartment. The pocket door provides plenty of access and a lockable space as well. I had a local upholstery shop trim the carpet on the back wall before installation.

Alan

Attachments

#21 ·
Just Yesterday I cut out my back wall to make a "cubby cabin". I used a 6" radius hole saw to get the outer radius and then brought it in a bit from the top and bottom. I got the location of outer radius by lining up with the middle of the inside rollbar mount. I brought the sheetmetal up from the bottom about an inch to have a lip that holds items in that space. (Just like you just mentioned MPTech). It's about 16" wide and large enough for me to get my hand inside without any obstruction. I put a light and switch inside that area. (not wired yet)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.